1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

Rockets trade for Iman Shumpert

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by mikol13, Feb 6, 2019.

1. CXbby

CXbby Member

Why are people so desperate to hate on tax saving move? Yes its about money, but the Rockets actually got better too at a position of need. Teams out there making money moves are getting worse, I can understand the hate in that case, but this is the opposite. Does it move the needle by a lot? No. Would I rather go way over the tax for another Superstar? Hell yeah, and the Rockets would too. But if that is not available, why the hell would fans want the team to waste money just for the sake of it?

I know its not your money so y'all don't give a ****, but this isn't NY or LA, ownership gets in enough financial burden and that's exactly what leads teams to blow it up.

MghtyPtrck, Vivi, mikol13 and 8 others like this.
  2. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

You sound like Morey's Mommy.

Chamillionaire likes this.
  3. jerryclark

jerryclark Member

You legitimately think that packaging our first rounder with a negative asset was going to give us the best possible return ?

Ok you win

4. jerryclark

jerryclark Member

wouldnt be opposed as much on a regular year but this is a year coming off a wcf appearance. Tax savings should not even be mentioned

Icehouse likes this.
  5. jerryclark

jerryclark Member

Like I dont live in bum**** memphis im sorry I expect at least a logically financed team

6. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Contributing Member

I never said Shumpert was the best possible player they could’ve received for Knight. I simply said Morey opted to do what it took to turn the unplayable Brandon Knight into a rotation piece for the playoffs. Which is better than having 19M in unplayable players like the Rockets did last potseason with Anderson.

I’m sure guys like Batum, Bazemore or Porter were possible targets if the Rockets weren’t in luxury tax hell.

roslolian and AroundTheWorld like this.
  7. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

People are complaining about the tax savings...but this trade made us a better team. Shumpert is a clear upgrade as a rotation player. Is it a splashy move..no, but it isn't as if dumping salary was the sole result of this trade.

CXbby, mikol13, jboslett and 7 others like this.
  8. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

Who's ribs tho? My ribs?

If so, phenomenal.

9. biff17

biff17 Member

It does matter because he was unplayable.

What part of that don't you understand?

roslolian and AroundTheWorld like this.
  10. jerryclark

jerryclark Member

Yea and thats why we got **** in return for him and this years pick. Pay attention genius

11. biff17

biff17 Member

Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!.

12. StrawberryJamm

I guess I missed the press conference declaring to Rockets fans that after figuring out 3's, layups, and free throws are more efficient than long 2's, Daryl Morey was done with analytics and retiring from doing math.

What are the exact odds over the last 10 years that a late 1st round pick will turn out to be a better asset on the court than a minimum signing such as Austin Rivers, Keneth Farried, or Gerald Green?

If you took the players picked 22-30 in the NBA draft over the past 10 years and put them in a hat. Exactly how many pulls until your franchise is worse off with an x+chriss+knight for shumpert trade?

Is it at all possible that an extremely small, flawed. and unconventional lineup with guys begging to be posted up and at a huge disadvantage rebounding such as Paul/Gordon/Shumpert/Harden/Tucker still projects to outscore opponents and create a more severe mismatch with speed, shooting, and an all time great isolation player?

13. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

The best thing that I can say about this trade is that Iman Shumpert is an actual human NBA player that I have heard of, not another randomly generated NBA 2K scrub. Hopefully he thrives like Austin Rivers and Kenneth Faried have around Harden.

Invisible Fan, Deuce, Vivi and 5 others like this.
  14. jerryclark

jerryclark Member

"Ugh! I just cant handle all this negativity~!!!"

roslolian likes this.
  15. TheRedRanger

TheRedRanger Member

16. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

[​IMG]

17. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

He still wouldve counted towards the luxury tax dood.

18. biff17

biff17 Member

Did you forget we still have Capela and Faried?

19. Bobby Jackson Rules

If we approach this trade by whether Shumpert is the best we can get, I doubt it. I know Knight is a negative asset and our FRP has a little value, but the name of players traded on same day(Morris, Ellington) and players on rumor(JGree+Temple, Mirotic, Randle, Saric) leaves some kind of frustration. But, if we grade this trade by real value of Knight + 1st, and whether we got stronger or not, this is good trade. Experienced veteran with defensive awareness is what we needed on playoff. I will take it.

#579 Bobby Jackson Rules, Feb 7, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2019
    jboslett, SWTsig, roslolian and 2 others like this.
  20. Roomba

Roomba Member
    Supporting Member

Shumpert has been a good player this year. I know this isn't the huge blockbuster trade most people are looking for, but you could do a lot worse than getting back a more than serviceable player in return. Some people here are calling Shump a scrub. He absolutely isn't and hasn't been for a while. Though his shooting varies from season to season, he's a smart defender who can guard the 1,2 and 3 spots, allowing James to be on a weaker offensive player without having to worry about size.

I really believe Shumpert can be like last year's Mbah-a-Moute (pre-injury). The switching defense is taking form again.

mikol13 and roslolian like this.