1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Live Rockets Discussion
    Before the NBA playoffs resume Friday night, we're talking Rockets, including individual team awards. We're live NOW!

Talking Rockets - LIVE!

Guidelines

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by justtxyank, Jan 15, 2019.

1. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

Already someone has posted explicit content but hey it is The Dude so.. that's like my opinion man.

2. Buck Turgidson

What's explicit?

Does the female form make you uncomfortable?

Invisible Fan, dachuda86, jcf and 4 others like this.
  3. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

congrats we are all counting on you

4. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

Damn that was the best response yet...

5. Granville

Granville Member

How about slurs that attack a person or group on the basis of attributes such as race, religion, ethnic origin, national origin, sex, disability, sexual orientation, or gender identity? What's your stance there? Hopefully you will approve this legitimate post via the moderation controls placed on my account..... I've reported slurs aimed at the disabled community for years.

JuanValdez and FranchiseBlade like this.
  6. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Slurs of any kind will be treated the way I laid out in my original post. Things that are disrupting the D&D, are meant to bait, harass, etc. will be dealt with.

7. Granville

Granville Member

The R word is no less offensive to the special need community than the N word is to the african american community. Consequences should be the same for either. Doing a simple search on the forum and you will see it's long been a problem before and after the BTG mini ban.

8. justtxyank

The intent behind the word is a big difference. There is no question what someone is trying to convey if they use the n word, the intent behind using the r word is definitely questionable. I don't like the word either. I do a lot of work with children in the field. If it were up to me everyone would stop saying it. If it's used directed at a person's kids or meant as part of harassment, I'll deal with it. I can't moderate out people using words callously though. This is a message board and people don't use fully polite language with each other.

Codman likes this.
  9. Granville

Granville Member

I'd respectfully counter that your views are dated and need to evolve with society. Calling someone who is acting foolishly an R word is offensive because that word is often used to demean people with mental challenges. Thank you for your service to the community. I really mean that, I live in the community 24-7 at home and frequently advocate for others here in this country and abroad. Dignity and respect is being bestowed upon members of that community more and more.

The owner of this site made a claim that he offered to censor the word here and that I rejected the offer. Both of those are false. If this was something that was legitimately on the table, I'd say there is a disconnect between the 2 of you. Seems Clutch had a change of heart when communicating with this person he thought was me. Filtering the word doesn't deprive anyone of anything but an opportunity to hurl a slur intentionally or not.

10. justtxyank

You don’t seem to understand my views if you think we view the word differently. o_O

The user of the r word usually comes from a place of flippancy, ignorance, etc. The use of the n word usually comes from a place of hate.

That said, it’s not my place to ban a word that is, unfortunate or not, not considered outright hate speech. If you and clutch work toward banning the word I will of course be happy to enforce that, but I don’t think it’s my place to make that type of decision.

If you want to discuss this further I’d send it to pm

11. Buck Turgidson

I'm honestly asking here...what was said this time?

12. Granville

Granville Member

I pm’ed you as you requested.

13. Granville

Granville Member

This is an attempt to finish the previous discussion with board management which until litterrally fell on deaf ears. All my posts on the board have been under moderation none of which were about this subject since early December. The majority of the mundane posts have either been approved well after posted or in most cases not at all.

Despite what some think... When someone says... You R word or quit acting like a R word that is treating that segment of society as subhuman.

14. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

Damn your account is still locked down so that your posts have to be approved? Well glad to see you back.

Granville likes this.
  15. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Just seems a shame that people feel the need to post hurtful things. Seems to me there is no point that is that important, whether discussing politics or sports.

justtxyank and Granville like this.
  16. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Kind of like when someone uses "gay" as an apparent insult. "That's so gay". "You know how I know you're gay"...etc...

pahiyas and justtxyank like this.
  17. justtxyank

I agree with you, but that's not the real world.

Os Trigonum likes this.
  18. justtxyank

It's exactly like this imo. Both are stupid and insensitive and I wish people could learn to use the English language better, but I contend that both of those statements stem from common colloquialism and not hate like the n word does. That's not me defending those words, but the intent behind the use of them is very different than when people throw around the n word, either directly to insult a black person or to bait someone in so they can do the whole "oh why so triggered? It's just a word rappers use!" nonsense.

Rashmon likes this.
  19. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

On that note though, are you saying that the n word with the “a” ending will be acceptable here (as opposed to the hard “er”)? That’s a slippery slope.

Granville likes this.
  20. Granville

Granville Member

I don't think anyone should use the N word, period. There's no excuse for it,

We're talking for example about comments like this one already in the forum though.

PEnnis blocked by sewer was r****d on r****d crime. Replace it with N word on N word or F on F crime relating to gay people or any other slur.

The intent when a person calls someone an R word is intending to insult the person he or she uses it on by comparing them to what they believe is a sub human.