1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

It is time to unlock the midrange.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Ryan_Success, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Ryan_Success

Ryan_Success Member

I’m with you bro we are definitely effective in how we operate. But playoff 3 pt percentages tell a different story for this team, and I’m tired of Harden Haters not recognizing his greatness because of his 3 pt averages in the playoffs. You don’t limit a player like Harden. He is one of the best players, if not the best, player I’ve seen in a Rockets uniform. If he wants to take the step back jumper at the free throw line I’ve seen him, CP3, EG, and GG hit over and over I’m not going to coach against it especially when the we are cold from the 3.

BaselineFade and don grahamleone like this.
  2. roslolian

roslolian Member

So much text no numbers. Becaus1e if you actually run the numbers you will see why mid range is a bad idea. Harden and Cp3 go to ot from time to time because they are good enough but for the rest of the roster you dont want them taking mid range shots and clanking them. For the role players they can take a step back and make half of them or take a step forward and have to make 80% of their shots which is easier? Hmmm.....

HP3 and topfive like this.
  3. roslolian

roslolian Member

Nobody is preventing Harden from taking mid range shots how many mid range shots have taken the kast few games?

You are making a nonsens argument Harden can do what he wants on offense nobody is stopoing him.

Playoff percentages go down because guess what, GSW has 5 freaking all stars thats what happens when you have 2 all stars vs 5. Making them take mid range shots on the basis the 3 pters are falling are nonsense, real life isnt a multple choice test if Option A isnt working doesnt mean Option B is the answer. How about we have them dunk from mid court? According to your logic if the 3 pters arent falling may be half court dunks will go in.

HP3 likes this.
  4. Ryan_Success

Ryan_Success Member

Exactly! You don’t change something that’s working, but in the instance we are struggling we need to have a fail safe once playoffs come around!

5. Ryan_Success

Ryan_Success Member

Name 1 coach who says if you’re missing all your 3 pt shots keep shooting them and hope they go in. YOU MAKE A ADJUSTMENT. If your shots not falling from 3 you take a closer shot. That’s common basketball knowledge. I recognize GSW greatness but I’m not going to sit here and say we don’t have a chance because we took them to 7 with those allstars. Harden has continued to improve and he’s a better player then he was last year and I want to unlock a different part of his game that I think could be very effective. Dantoni isn’t going to tell Harden not to take those midrange jumpers but he also isn’t going to tell him to take them because that’s not our philosophy. My argument, that I don’t believe is nonsense, is to make the adjustment to take those free throw line jumpers like CP3 did all last year, at a higher rate IF the 3 ball isn’t falling.

don grahamleone likes this.
  6. Ryan_Success

Ryan_Success Member

I didn’t run numbers because I know what the analytics say, and I agree with them. Like I mentioned in the original post I’m all in on Morey Ball. My post is not to challenge what we are doing but rather to provide a fail safe to when the numbers go to ****.

7. BigBum

BigBum Member

Those supporting casts can’t make midrange.

8. roslolian

roslolian Member

How can you be all in Morey Ball when you are advocating mid range which is anthesis to what Moreyball is about?

Thats lile saying you are all in Vegan but you eat Big Mac meals every other day as a fail safe lol

9. Ryan_Success

Ryan_Success Member

We should continue to shoot the 3 ball at a higher rate then any other team in the NBA because 3 pts are more then 2pts. When we are in the playoffs or close games and we are trying to maintain a lead we should be more methodological with how we put up shots to preserve the lead by considering efficient 2pt shots. In recent memory there has been 3 games we’ve had double digit leads slip away by shooting unnecessary 3s. You catch my drift?

10. Ryan_Success

Ryan_Success Member

I think EG and GG could especially benefit from free throw line jumpers.

11. roslolian

roslolian Member

A closer shot doesn't mean a higher success rate lol, not when you are shootibg mid ranges. A step back or a step forward wont drastically alter the percentages either way. What unlocking are you talking about? Harden and Cp3 already take a ton of mid range shots!!! You do realize that right? You want them to take even more? Whats the basis for changing the offensive style of the team? Do the numbers and then show me why Harden and Cp3 should take even more mid range than what they are doing.

You are always talking both side out of your mouth. All in Moreyball but hey lets take mid range shots. The numbers show mid range isnt effective but hey lets have Harden and Cp3 take more mid range.

Look. Either you agree with what the analytics say or you don't, simple as that. Dont say you are not gonna challenge Moreyball cuz you agree with it but then your conclusion is opposite to what Moreyball is saying. The fact that Morey took a team with 4 all stars with just 2 all stars to 7 games shows it works. If the Rox had 4 all stars too and they used Moreyball then they would curbstomp the team that doesnt have Moreyball. You gotta have a rock solid argument to show it itsnt working.

HP3 likes this.
  12. roslolian

roslolian Member

Rox always consider efficient 2 pt shots like fts and layups and drives. Those are efficient. Mid range shots are not efficient. You catch my drift?

13. Ryan_Success

Ryan_Success Member

Harden is shooting 22/42 for 52.4% for shots 10-14 ft from the rim which I am advocating as a effective midrange shot (free throw line jumper). I never said all midrange shots were good, but there are ones that work within our philosophy. And chill with the patronizing bro neither of us getting paid for this.

hakeem94 likes this.
  14. bilaal14

bilaal14 Member

15. dmoneybangbang

It feels like Harden's floater is now a thing from about 6 feet. Even as a Moreyball guy I feel like a little shot diversity is good for players like Harden and CP3. I do wish Harden would take what the defense is giving him sometimes but that's actually not as easy as it sounds.

hakeem94 and Ryan_Success like this.
  16. Ryan_Success

Ryan_Success Member

Opens up more opportunities when the defense doesn’t know what to expect. They already have a hard time deciphering if he’s going to pull up for three or go to the paint. A step back free throw jumper adds another tool to the arsenal. I wish they had a term for defining a shot between the paint and the midrange, best I had was free throw line jumper. Midrange just has such a negative connotation with the Rockets, but deployed the right way could be a nice alternative.

17. Ryan_Success

Ryan_Success Member

For those of you wanting numbers...

Players highest shooting percentage outside of paint is 10-14ft

Harden: 22/42 52.4%
    Chris Paul: 33/68 48.5%
    Eric Gordon: 5/12 41.7%
    Gerald Green: 5/9 55.6% (15-19ft)
    Austin Rivers: 4/11 36.4%

There’s a such thing as a good midrange shot in the construct of our offense if the 3 ball isn’t dropping.

18. roslolian

roslolian Member

Basically outside of Harden the rest are better off shooting 3s thanks for proving my point.

Greens attempts are too small to be given any type of analysis so his high % doesnt count.

19. roslolian

roslolian Member

I am not patronizing I'm just saying if you are saying you agree with Moreyball dob't advocate mid range shots because Moreyball is all about avoiding mid range shots.

Harden's already taking a lot of mid range shots so if what you advocate is mid range shots for Harden he is already doing that. The rest of the roster aren't that efficient at mid range shots so they are still better of not taking them.

Ryan_Success likes this.
  20. Ryan_Success

Ryan_Success Member

Everybody outside of Harden and CP3 attempts are too low to prove a point. But it was more of a hypothetical argument because those shots aren’t apart of our offense hence the unlock part of the post. Look, your points are valid and I’m not saying your wrong because it’s shown it’s success which is why I don’t have a issue with it. I just don’t see the harm in taking select midrange jumpers when the defense and our shooting dictates it.

HP3 likes this.