1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Brush your teeth! Gingivitis may be the cause of Alzheimer’s Disease

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Xerobull, Jan 25, 2019.

1. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Scientists may finally know what causes Alzheimer’s
    Common gum disease plays a vital role in Alzheimer's development.

[​IMG]
    Image of P. gingivalis' gingipains in the neurons of Alzheimer's brain. P. gingivalis gingipains = red, neurons = yellow, astrocytes = green. Credit: Cortexyme, Inc.

A team of international scientists led by Cortexyme, Inc., a privately held, the clinical-stage pharmaceutical company has recently discovered the role of a common bacterium, Porphyromonas gingivalis (Pg), in driving Alzheimer’s disease pathology. Through this study, they demonstrated the potential for small molecule inhibitors to block the pathogen.

Stephen Dominy, M.D., Cortexyme co-founder, a chief scientific officer said, “Infectious agents have been implicated in the development and progression of Alzheimer’s disease before, but the evidence of causation hasn’t been convincing.”

“Now, for the first time, we have solid evidence connecting the intracellular, Gram-negative pathogen, Pg, and Alzheimer’s pathogenesis while also demonstrating the potential for a class of small molecule therapies to change the trajectory of disease.”

Scientists identified Pg, the keystone pathogen in chronic periodontal disease, in the brains of mice with AD. They found that oral Pg infection leads to brain colonization. Moreover, it also increased the amyloid beta (Aβ) production. The amyloid beta (Aβ) is a key component of the amyloid plaques commonly associated with Alzheimer’s.

Scientists also detected the organism’s toxic proteases, or gingipains, in the neurons of patients with AD. The team correlated the gingipain levels with pathology related to two markers: tau, a protein needed for normal neuronal function, and ubiquitin, a small protein tag that marks damaged proteins for degradation and is found in tau tangles and Aβ plaques. The gingipains were found to be neurotoxic in vivo and in vitro, exerting detrimental effects on tau.

Seeking to block Pg-driven neurotoxicity, Cortexyme set out to design a series of small molecule therapies targeting Pg gingipains. In preclinical experiments detailed in the paper, the researchers demonstrated that inhibition by COR388, the most promising compound in the series and the subject of Cortexyme’s ongoing clinical development program, reduced the bacterial load of an established Pg brain infection, blocked Aβ42 production, reduced neuroinflammation, and protected neurons in the hippocampus, a part of the brain that mediates memory and frequently atrophies early in the development of AD.

Casey Lynch, Cortexyme‘s co-founder, chief executive officer, and an author on the paper said, “Despite significant funding and the best efforts of academic, industry, and advocacy communities, clinical progress against Alzheimer’s has been frustratingly slow. The publication sheds light on an unexpected driver of Alzheimer’s pathology—the bacterium commonly associated with chronic periodontal disease—and details the promising therapeutic approach Cortexyme is taking to address it with COR388.

In October 2018, Cortexyme announced encouraging results from its Phase 1b clinical trial of COR388 at the 11th Clinical Trials in Alzheimer’s Disease Conference. Investigators reported the compound was safe and well tolerated in healthy older volunteers and Alzheimer’s patients when given at a range of doses for up to 28 days.

COR388 was detectable in the cerebral spinal fluid (CSF) along with fragmented DNA from the bacterium that COR388 targets. Additionally, while the study was not powered for significance, COR388 showed positive trends across several cognitive tests in patients suffering from AD. Cortexyme plans to initiate a large Phase 2/3 clinical trial of COR388 in mild to moderate AD in 2019.

CCity Zero and Exiled like this.
  2. boomboom

boomboom I GOT '99 PROBLEMS
    Supporting Member

"Just floss people. And don't FORGET to floss. The more you floss, the less you will forget to floss. See how that works?"

-moehoward on Slashdot

BamBam likes this.
  3. PhiSlammaJamma

I will just share that I've worked on this disease, dissecting out the hippocampus of pre-natal rats, and putting the neurons in culture. Never got anywhere. But pretty sure that if heaven is going to earmark cruelty to animals, I'm going down for dissecting all those brains. And let me just tell you, those brains are super small, and the dissection of the hippocampus, even smaller. Had to be done under a microscope. Ironically T-2 released the year I was doing this at Squibb. And even more ironic is that a high pressure water system nearly sank the lab that year. So much water you could canoe in it. And that's all I gotta say about that.

I changed my mind. Have one story to tell on this note. I wrote a short story called the ugly neuron, who turned into a beautiful schwann cell at college. Pretty damn clever right. I thought so too. But it was so cleaver they wanted make sure I didn't plaigerize it before going to print. I was kinda offended. And that's all I gotta say about that.

Fyreball, Clutch and tmacfor35 like this.
  4. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

4 out of 5 dentists recommend blaming Alzheimer’s on not enough visits to their office, and not buying enough sugarless gum.

cheke64 likes this.
  5. Buck Turgidson

6. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

People used to try to link it to fluoride, ironically enough.

7. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

#7 LosPollosHermanos, Jan 26, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2019
  8. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Fluoride isn't a proven antimicrobial (although some debate it can have effects) so I'm not sure ironic the correct term.

High absorption of fluoride has been shown to be detrimental for your brain - https://www.hsph.harvard.edu/news/features/fluoride-childrens-health-grandjean-choi/

For the topic, interesting! Hope they are really on to something with the inhibitors.

#8 ThatBoyNick, Jan 26, 2019
    Torn n Frayed likes this.
  9. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Uh... I'm all for flossing, but this article is much more like a biotech press release than a journalist's coverage of a peer-reviewed breakthrough by conflict-free researchers.

And the chief scientific officer of the company announcing this is an MD. That's okay but do they even PhD, bro?

10. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

ApoE gene is where its at. Gene testing servces will test for it. The rate of Alzheimers by 75 is 3%. One copy of the e4 allele raises that to 6%. Two copies of e4 raises that to 28% according to the info I just pulled from 23andme. So two copies of the gene results in you being about 10x more likely to develop Alzheimer's than the average population. They obviously test for the gene, if you are concerned. I'm sure other gene testing services do too.

There's already a pretty strong correlation between gum disease and heart disease, I think, and heart disease is the number 1 cause of death in the US, so even if this is wrong, there is still plenty of reason to be concerned already.

#10 Ottomaton, Jan 26, 2019
    MiddleMan, CCity Zero, Exiled and 2 others like this.
  11. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

12. PhiSlammaJamma

All of these correlations are significant, but it seems too obvious to me. When it came to tobacco, everyone said there was no science, and there really wasn't, yet we all knew exactly what the canker at the root was. To me, sugar is the killer. What I think, is that all of this will be linked directly to sugar one day. But everyone's genetic reaction to sugar may differ. Same thing with Alcohol, we know what it does, but everyone's gene pool is slightly different in terms of whose brain is susceptible to permanent change.

Mathloom likes this.
  13. Exiled

Exiled Member

They're on their way to phase 2,very interesting findings, would love to see further progress,Porphyromonas gingivalis (Pg) have been linked to
    Rheumatoid arthritis (RA) which (is more likely)to increase the risk of developing Alzheimer's Disease (AD) & also associated with cardiovascular risk

14. Juxtaposed Jolt

This thread needs @rezdawg and his dental expertise.

Harrisment likes this.
  15. Exiled

Exiled Member

There's no point of knowing ,more of a self inflicted psychological abuse even if its brca

16. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Sometimes it might be worth knowing if there's a newer treatment plan/drugs that can be started ahead of a prion disease fully taking form. But I can see what you mean, with all of the research there still needs to be a lot better results (it's better than it used to be), but a lot more research needs to happen, and knowing ahead of time might not help at this point and it could make you worried etc. of something that might not even happen.

On brca, you don't think it's worth looking for, or do you think the patient is jumping too soon to treatments when there's no evidence of cancer forming? Like I know I've seen px's have a mastectomy ahead of time, but there's more sites brca could be an issue at etc. so it's not a perfect solution in some cases, especially if you have both copies and aren't planning on a proactive plan/testing (and have money to do so). Cancer sucks

17. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Yeah, I have had initial hopes from promising research releases get ruined in the peer stages, hopefully this wasn't gamed and it does turn into something.

B-Bob likes this.
  18. Exiled

Exiled Member

I think quality of life is more important than length of it, Eating healthy, exercise and avoiding stress ,etc, fits all and if there's any groundbreaking treatment ,it will be publicly known soon after

for the brca, I used it as a prime example of a useful genetic testing but progressively devastating as it involves the entire family ,facing the same fate but at different stages ,it might be applied to some a non surgical procedure with Tamoxin ,aromatase inhibitors,Raloxifene and SERM, and future generations of treatments
    For BRCA pathogenic variant , surveillance with annual MRI which is way better than previous bilateral mastectomy only option

CCity Zero likes this.
  19. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Yeah, that makes sense, quality of life for sure and especially less stress/healthy habits.

BamBam likes this.
  20. cheke64

cheke64 Member

White people can tolerate sugar very well. Blacks and Hispanics not too well. But you are right, sugar is the new aids.