1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Danuel House declines Rockets contract offer

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by motleydeflep6, Jan 15, 2019.

1. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

The thing I don’t get is what’s House’s incentive to sign any sort of deal besides being converted rest of season and becoming a restricted free agent? If they don’t convert him he’ll just become an unrestricted free agent. So besides his stock plummeting because he doesn’t get to play in any real NBA games (which I don’t think would happen; not to the point of getting something less than $3 mil per year), he has every reason to hold out. Morey must know this. So this did nothing but strain relations between two sides while waiting to convert him.
    What am I missing?

snowconeman22, cbs1507 and ak99999 like this.
  2. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

What we are missing is:
    1. The roster is full at the moment so he can't be converted right now.
    2. The roster is full because we want to give Nunnally a look, but we also want to hold on to Melo and Chriss, for the moment.
    3. That last part is for another discussion about:
      1. Why not cut Melo and Chriss now...vs
      2. How much Tax would we save if we found someone to dump them on (giving up picks), instead of cutting them ...vs
      3. Keep dreaming that they can help facilitate useful trades...lulz.
      4. Cut Melo and Chriss after trade deadline, and convert House then, or
      5. Wait even longer to see if we can entice House to sign a multi-year using what's left of the MLE, after we first see if we spend any on buyouts. If not enough MLE is left, convert him in March.
    tl:dr version:
    With no roster spots available, we keep trying to dump Melo and Chriss before converting House, and/or we keep withholding MLE from House, until we Bust at signing buyouts with it.

topfive, fattz, BMoney and 2 others like this.
  3. BigBum

BigBum Member

No one wants the 2nd round picks, it's like 50th picks.
    Team would demand a first round pick for Chriss/Melo.
    2019 First is certainly stapled together with Knight contract.

4. biff17

biff17 Member

I don't see how you think he can parlay 25 games into 3million a year when he was cut by 3 teams this year.

Elfrid Payton, Nerlin's Noel,Yogi Ferrel, and Seth Curry could not get that.

And Curry was getting playoff minutes on a championship team.

topfive likes this.
  5. BasketMAD

BasketMAD Member

House wants to become a free agent this summer. What part of that do you guys not understand? If you really want Morey to cave and give him that, then you're by yourselves...

6. biff17

biff17 Member

No he said House was not offered a guaranteed contract.

that's why I wanted clarification.

i realize he has insider info not questioning his credibility but that is a directly contradicting his agent.

7. BasketMAD

BasketMAD Member

It's good that you guys aren't GMs. If I'm a GM, there is no way in HELL I let him become a free agent this summer. If he doesn't want to agree to a deal that's 2 years or more, rot in G-league purgatory and see what kind of offers you get in the summer after limited playing time.

Y2JT likes this.
  8. heypartner

Yes, but keep in mind that also means, if Morey doesn't think he can get $3m per year, then converting him for the playoffs would allow us to match any offer sheets up to $2m / yr, just by using his Non Bird Rights...

so, there is nothing to worry about if he's an RFA this summer, right?

Help me understand this argument that if he can't get $3m, then we should stick to our guns and not convert him for the playoffs? It's contradictory.

cbs1507 likes this.
  9. biff17

biff17 Member

i never said we should not convert and I have not seen anyone else saying that, maybe I missed them.

i think that is exactly what will happen eventually.

if he does not burn bridges which is starting to look like a possibility.

10. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

what they are worried about is we wont have enough able bodies to throw at gsw in wcf

11. biff17

biff17 Member

so we should be held hostage by House?

at the beginning of the turnaround House was 8th man off the bench.

12. biff17

biff17 Member

now he is the key to championship go figure.

13. heypartner

Luc, Rivers, Green, Nene, Ennis and MCW didn't sign for 2 yr deals, either, when we first got them. Why is a 2yr contract a requirement for House to help us in the playoffs.

You think we have enough depth? Do you think Ennis, Clark, Chriss, Melo, Isaiah and Nene are more useful than House in the playoffs. (Note, Nene didn't even play against GSW last WCF.)

what? We just convert him. How is that being held hostage? This is a player Lockout, not a Strike. He wants to be converted.

cbs1507 and hakeem94 like this.
  14. Game7

Game7 Member

If he is the key to anything, we are doomed.

biff17 likes this.
  15. studogg

studogg Contributing Member

Solid summary. Add in that with CP3 back soon and Gordon playing more minutes, makes it easier to weather the short term saga that is the Outhouse

16. biff17

biff17 Member

They will most likely convert him I guess they are just weighing there options.

Did he get released?

17. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

I agree with this breakdown .

I also think the choice the rockets FO has made so far is stupid . I think the choice could have worked out OK had Ennis not cut his ****ing leg !!!!!!

But it was always a risk and the roster is already incredibly thin due to injuries .

18. BasketMAD

BasketMAD Member

They'll pick someone up in the buyout or trade market. I doubt House is locking up Durant.

19. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

Fair. I was more saying for his side of thinking. But shouldn’t have said 3 mil. He’s just confident he can get more than the minimum, and if he doesn’t, he then gets the minimum, so where does he lose? Sure you can say maybe no one offers him anything, but he doesn’t think so, and I’d probably agree.

Nook likes this.
  20. BasketMAD

BasketMAD Member

You should've learned a lesson with these 1-year deals. The more years to keep a core together, the better. House gets greedy and leaves, and then we're stuck in the same place we started at the beginning of this disastrous season.