1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ClutchFans Game Thread: Nets @ Rockets 1/16/2019

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Jan 15, 2019.

1. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Not at all, actually. Harden got the rebound and proceeded to make both FT's, so actually that didn't harm anything at all.

What killed us was Gerald Green committing 2 terrible fouls leading to And 1's, and Rivers not fouling up 3.

joshuaao and Remlap like this.
  2. Remlap

Remlap Member

What about Bruno?
    Shot blocker and knocking down 3's at a 40% clip in RGV.
    I would imagine he could certainly put down some alley oops

macan likes this.
  3. Elephant810

Elephant810 Member

Like who??? Yes there are way better players out there but which ones were the Rockets in a position to sign?

Remlap likes this.
  4. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

This is what I'm talking about...why do people think Melo and MCW were the only players the Rockets were capable of signing? Guys like Nunnally (better fit) and House (better fit) are two dudes right there that prove the notion that there were much better fitting options out there for the Rockets. Doesn't even have to be those guys, just dudes who fit. I'd rather have signed those guys, who actually make sense with the structure of the team, than MCW, no?

I'll say this for Melo...it had SOME upside. I'll give it that. But the baggage with him and the way he viewed himself was always going to clash with us. It was destined to happen, though I expected him to last longer than a month.

5. Remlap

Remlap Member

I'm sure MDA gave it a big NO, but CP was giving a big YES and urging Morey to pull the trigger on it.
    CP, James and Clint were dominant last year. So if CP thought having Melo would make them even more potent,
    then you go for it. Remember, we were still looking for ways to get over the hump with GSW.
    Even Morey had been courting Melo for YEARS. It also fulfills HIS dream.
    I mean, we picked him up for peanuts. Why NOT give it a shot?
    In the end, CP got his way, but ultimately, so did Coach.

But MDA has been down that road before in NYC with Melo. I'm sure he was having
    flashbacks of being run out of town because of this guy ruining his system.
    But it was worth a try. Check please!

6. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Melo was never going to be a way to get over the hump against GSW. He would be absolutely exploited time and time again in a series with them. Would have been unplayable.

7. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

The team choked at the beginning of the game, they came out lackadasical and the Nets were competing hard.....unless we get some ACTUAL LEADERSHIP on this team - some ACCOUNTABILITY, Harden's career will go down in flames as a great offensive player, but never a leader or champion.

Someone needs to be the guy who gets people to play both ends, and that is not Harden as he is resting on D, and when he says something they roll their eyes because he doesn't try often enough.

I would rather have him score less and play D, the team would be better off......though right now......with all these injuries - we are going to be hurting for a while.

This season is pretty much over, tbh, we can't win anything from beyond the top 3 seeds and with injuries we aren't getting one of those.....another season bites the dust.

DD

8. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Here's a positive way to look at it:

Regardless of seeding, if you think we can beat GSW at full strength, it will probably be easier to do it in the 1st round, rather than WCF after 10 playoff games...before Paul and Harden start breaking down.

attack the beast early, when you are your freshest. That's the Video Game way! :)

Hmc415, Remlap and Zoplicone like this.
  9. Elephant810

Elephant810 Member

So you are saying Morey made a mistake because he should have signed a bunch of d-league level players? Sure, guys like House proved valuable but imagine how he would have looked if he signed a bunch of d-leaguers who didn't pan out?

OMG Melo and other established NBA vets were available and Morey signs, D-LEAGUERS?????

10. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

If Morey is signing dudes based off their name brand and not whether they fit with what Harden and the Rockets are trying to do, then yeah, that's a problem!

I'm not saying there are infinite D-Leaguers available that could step in and start balling. I'm saying you do your evaluations and sign guys who fit the team structure and provide value in areas of need (shooting, wing defense, etc.). Harden has proven that he can elevate guys if they compliment the team's play-style.

It is not hard to understand why House was better than Melo. He fit the system and didn't expect a role greater than his abilities.

11. Elephant810

Elephant810 Member

Damn bro, maybe you should be the GM.

12. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

anything can happen - but you play the odds... thats what we do, right? numbers, analytics.... and a 2 pt shot is a higher percentage than a 3 pt shot.... lol

13. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Nope. Morey is a great GM. I just think he screwed up this offseason. Don't think he valued the proper things. I trust he'll get us out of this, but hopefully something happens sooner rather than later.

Wylo likes this.
  14. joshuaao

joshuaao Member

Winder how hard we went after Noel at the minimum. He could’ve slotted right into Clint’s role off the bench and would be spoon fed by Harden. Feels like a pretty strong pitch

15. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Most frustrating loss of the season in my book. The margin for error is zero. Every game matters. They add up. The Nets are tough, but the Rockets had this game won TWICE. Gut wrenching.

Frustrating to waste that Harden performance on a loss.

The CP & Capela injuries. EG only partially there. The bizarre Ennis injury. And the Danuel House contract standoff....a guy that IS healthy.

So frustrating.

heypartner likes this.
  16. TheRealAllpro

TheRealAllpro Morey only fan

If the Warriors were without Curry and Green and Klay left mid game. Do you think ppl would be blaming Bob Myers?

17. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

exactly, you play the odds, the better odds are to step back and shoot a 3pt with an unobstructed view of the basket then to try to go nearer where the shot will be contested, perhaps blocked, turned over or fouled without whistle because the greater are the odds the ref wont call shooting foul in the last seconds and the better are the odds you hit an uncontested (or less contested) shot than heavily contested

you dont just take things in vacuum and hurry with extrapolation that 2pt is a more efficient shot
    you need context
    and imho contexts says he took the most efficient shot

HP3 likes this.
  18. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

That’s two losses in a row to teams that had just beaten Boston the game prior.

hakeem94 likes this.
  19. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

This was one of the toughest regular season losses I’ve witnessed.
    But that’s just in the moment. Right now I see us losing to the Lakers because their young guys have stepped up against us in the past (last year; not with Lebron.) I also see us dropping at least 3 of the next 6, if not 4 (LAL, PHI, TOR and NOP).
    So yeah, a win Saturday would change my outlook. Until then, I’m staying away.

hakeem94 likes this.
  20. forchette49

forchette49 Contributing Member

We gave up 46 points to the Nets in the 4th quarter, 46 points, 46...

We didn't deserve to win that game, period.

hakeem94 likes this.