1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Danuel House declines Rockets contract offer

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by motleydeflep6, Jan 15, 2019.

1. Furious Jam

Furious Jam Contributing Member

I can't say I blame House - being locked up in his prime on the league minimum would suck. What I wonder is why the parties couldn't split the difference? Say lock him up for 2 years with the third being a player option? That would seem to be a fair amount of both freedom and security for House.

cbs1507, Hakeemtheking and joshuaao like this.
  2. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Can we get a graph though pleez?

hakeem94 likes this.
  3. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

Well as I said, I can understand from the finance point of view of the Rox.

But that is a roster spot we are talking about, in this deep sh't injury stage of the Rox, a spot means a lots.

But more importantly, why the fork would Melo still want to stick with the Rox? I know he is getting paid for doing nothing, but hanging around team that clear told him to fork off instead of just requesting Morey to waive him, at least he can save some face to at least find someone to take him?

Hakeemtheking and joshuaao like this.
  4. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Why would you waste the spot on someone who isn't as good?

I mean, let's say Nunnally crushes it. Would you say, "If he doesn't take a multi-year deal, no playoff roster spot for you, either."

5. beard4life

beard4life Member

Who’s to say Cp3 didn’t help Harden’s game improve even more? We will only go as far as James Harden can take us... don’t y’all agree?

6. coyotetex

coyotetex Member

The only way that Melo can remove himself from the team is by retiring. Melo wants to play somewhere for someone and the Rockets have his rights so he doesn't really have a choice there. I am sure he doesn't want to stick around with the Rockets, but his only leverage is to negotiate a buyout at a lesser salary number which he doesn't want to do because its very unclear that anyone else will sign him.

The roster spot is less of an issue for the Rockets due to DA's proclivity to play a short rotation. If / when it becomes a big deal to the team, Morey will make a move for sure. But you can't include a waived contract in a trade so waiving Melo limits Morey on the trade front. I suspect if we reach the trade deadline and Melo hasn't been moved that something will happen then to free up a roster spot.

7. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Can we just bring MCW back now?

8. Do WHAT?

Do WHAT? Member

Morey to House - "Yep, the new guy is 50% shooter."

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  9. BigBum

BigBum Member

Morey has no interest in common ground. It has to be 3-year minimum. Clearly Tilman is scary of repeater tax.

juanm34 likes this.
  10. mike2k132

mike2k132 Member

U know how many guys make 3 times as much as house was offered that are trash n havent didnt anything as much as him. Trust me hr getting thst

11. TheRealAllpro

TheRealAllpro Morey only fan

Leverage.

You don’t get what you deserve, you get what you can negotiate.

Williamson likes this.
  12. Pete the Cheat

Name them

13. BigBum

BigBum Member

You are right, it is impossible to get what he deserves because CBA rules does not allow other teams to make a bid.
    When other teams can make a bid in July, he is going to get 1 year 5M deal.
    In July, Knight contract look like a ghost, it's like jumping into the house and never goes away.

14. bobloblaw

bobloblaw Contributing Member

If you insist, you can argue that CP3 getting hurt made Harden work harder to become a better player. I doubt he made much other impact and will probably have prevented Harden from winning a title with his awful contract.

15. BigBum

BigBum Member

This is the reason I have problems with Paul contract: Tilman does not want to pay huge repeater taxes.
    Because tax budget is so tight, there is no way Morey is able to sign another good player.

bobloblaw likes this.
  16. Nook

Nook Member

My mistake.

Maybe slightly, as it isn’t quite as cut and dry to me but I would probably still take the tact he is taking.

No, James Harden likely has 2-3 more years or peak or near peak seasons left. Those seasons are incredibly important and represent by far the Rockets best chance at a title.

Now is the time to go into the luxury tax. Now is the time to offer a key piece of your team (House) more than the minimum.

BMoney, Hakeemtheking and DaDakota like this.
  17. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

Morey knew Cp3 was injury prone and his body is gonna break down in the playoffs similar to the previous years. But he didn't make sure to get a CP3 backup/insurance.

18. coyotetex

coyotetex Member

Unless the money you'd spend on House is being conserved for someone much higher impact than a guy who is a marginal roleplayer. I like House a lot, but he's not a high impact player. Morey isn't an idiot - he's got a plan and clearly offering House isn't the best use of his resources at this time.

I trust Morey - let's give him time to work.

19. coyotetex

coyotetex Member

Austin Rivers? Brandon Knight? When CP3 gets back we are going to have 5 guards with quality handles and the ability to break-down the defense. How in the world is that a failure of Morey to get insurance for CP3???

20. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

Exactly. I was talking about last year when Cp3 got injured in the WCFs remember?