1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Guidelines

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by justtxyank, Jan 15, 2019.

1. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

I wanted to give all of the D&D members a heads up as to what will change going forward.

Let me start by saying my intention is to moderate as little as possible. If you've noticed some warnings recently, please keep in mind that it is because there were well over 100 reported posts when I first got access to the panel. I was honestly surprised to see some of it and some others really shouldn't have been reported. I thought I'd post some general guidelines for what I will and will not consider actionable.

The D&D is controversial and inflammatory by nature.
    With that in mind, I will not be taking action on posts that are uncomfortable because they:
    A) Deal with a controversial subject matter
    B) Express a viewpoint, even if reprehensible, that is made for the purpose of actual debate/discussion. Unfortunately this may mean that some posts which might be considered racist/sexist/homophobic/etc. will be allowed through. It's important to note on this that action won't be taken as long as these types of ideas are being expressed as part of actual discourse. These types of discussions happen in our society and, sadly, many cling to those types of ideas. HOWEVER, content along those lines that is done for insult, shock value, trolling, or simply vile propaganda will be removed and a warning will be issued.
    C) Limited personal attacks in the course of heated conversation. I'm not going to jump in every time someone gets mad and makes a veiled insult at another poster. We are all adults and we are discussing difficult subjects. Sometimes they get heated and harsh words are said. Within reason, this is an unfortunate side effect of "D&D"
    D) Political satire

Where I will take action
    A) Harassment. Badgering of users with hateful, insulting, rhetoric will not be tolerated. I'm all in on the usual internet good natured ribbing of fellow posters and especially when it is limited to their existing within the bubble of Clutchfans it is accepted. However, when this moves into ongoing personal attacks, stalking, doxxing, etc. action will be taken.
    B) Race baiting. As said above, controversial subjects and opinions are part of the D&D, however, if that morphs into simply baiting people with racist remarks for kicks, content may be removed.
    C) Explicit content
    D) Generally disrupting the D&D. Think of this as the catchall. Content that is designed to ruin the experience of other users, intentionally, will be reviewed. This doesn't mean simply being obnoxious.
    E) Use of the N word. I would strongly advise you avoid this word all together, even in satire. I'm surprised how much it's been used here with various ways to get around the swear filter and it's clear it's bothered many posters based on the reports.

I will always treat every post on a case by case basis. I will pay close attention to reports. If for some reason something falls outside of the information here I'll give you a heads up.

Action that can be taken
    My preference will always be to simply issue a warning and move on. I would like to avoid editing/deleting posts if at all possible. Ongoing issues will be dealt with by removing content and ultimately sending it up to clutch to figure out if there is a permanent solution that needs to be reviewed.

I really hope that that sub-forum changes very little for most of you and only for the positive if you do notice anything. I would encourage everyone to continue reporting posts that you have an issue with and I'll be evaluating for trends that need to be addressed. My hope is keep clutch out of any issues and resolve them via PM. I think for the most part this is a good group of posters and we can all deal with each other without clutch needing to kick any of us out!

Feel free to reach out to me via PM if you have any questions/concerns/thoughts. I'm still a member of the D&D, not an overlord so I'm open to all feedback and discussion. I'll leave this thread open for discussion if anyone wants to express public concerns about things they think are an issue. If it gets out of hand I'll close it.

Thanks!

2. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Do you intend to issue your warnings by private PM, or publicly on the forum?

3. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

I’m glad to hear that you have access to view reported posts. I think that will help quite a bit.

4. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

We want to see this.

[​IMG]

5. justtxyank

99% of the time it will be via private warning unless there is some reason why it should be shared publicly.

AroundTheWorld, durvasa and ramotadab like this.
  6. bongman

bongman Member

All floggings, water boarding, executions, crucifixions should be done in public. That's what the people want!!!

marks0223 likes this.
  7. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

TLDR will just stay out of D&D

8. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

9. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Thanks for the clarification and for backing up Clutch.

I have reported some extreme Stormfront-like views and will continue to do so.

Life is life in meatspace. In here, I truly believe there isn't a "new normal" and trash like that needs to be taken out.

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  10. Buck Turgidson

You're a good man, and thorough.

11. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Wow, someone actually accepted this job? You're a braver man than me...

12. cml750

cml750 Member

Good luck @justtxyank. The guidelines you laid out are very fair and well thought out.

13. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

Is it all racial slurs or just the one?

Granville likes this.
  14. justtxyank

Racial slurs in general are a problem. I specifically mentioned that one because it popped up in several reports from members.

Dankstronaut likes this.
  15. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

That’s wild. I can’t recall seeing someone just come out and post that word.

16. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

What's your thoughts on someone bumping 20+ old threads, for their own amusement, in order to push all active threads off the 1st page.

Os Trigonum likes this.
  17. justtxyank

That would be trolling yes. Is that happening?

18. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'm not naming names but it rhymes with J.R.

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  19. CCorn

CCorn Member

You should publicly shame people and let us throw spit emojis at their face emoji

20. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

I suggest the public shaming happen on December 23 in the spirit of Festivus so we can air out these grievances.

dachuda86 and FranchiseBlade like this.