1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Should we trade Gordon instead?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Mathloom, Jan 8, 2019.

?

Would you rather...

1. Trade Knight and a 1st

50.0%
  2. Trade Gordon (if better than what Knight/1st gets)

26.5%
  3. I don't believe there's a significant difference in what we get back

7.1%
  4. I think Tucker/House/Ennis/Clark are enough at F to beat the Warriors

3.1%
  5. Gordon is so much better than Rivers that it wouldn't be worth it

13.3%
  1. bilaal14

bilaal14 Member

Need you dealers number ASAP. You clearly do not have any idea of the successful young Rockets as of late, and how they came about.

2. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

There's no guaranteeing, but there's planning and aiming, and we can't be aiming for a loss.

3. Will

Will Clutch Crew
    Supporting Member

How about, instead of trading Gordon, we exploit the luxury of finally having a deep bench. Spread out the PT, shorten CP's and Harden's minutes, avoid another playoff-killing hamstring injury, and avoid another wall-hitting Spurs Game 6. Take a few months to get everybody coordinated on defense and offense, work out the switches and rotations, and go into the postseason with at least 9 guys we feel confident putting on the floor.

We just beat Denver decisively with CP and Gordon out. Big nights from Tucker and Green. Capela decisively refuted the high trap on Harden. We should take confidence and lessons from what we just did. Imagine resting some of these guys on a precautionary basis, instead of waiting till they're hurt. Imagine playing CP for 25 or even 20 minutes, with confidence that Rivers, Gordon, and others can hold down the fort.

Harden, Paul, Capela, Gordon, Tucker, Green, House, Rivers, Nene. That's 9. Could also get useful minutes from Clark, Ennis, or Knight, though we don't have to count on that. If we can get a guaranteed contributor, great. But I'd be wary of trading away our depth.

BasketMAD, luckyman76, Deuce and 5 others like this.
  4. HTM

HTM Member

When is Gordon coming back from injury? Play some games man.

5. glenadyll

glenadyll Contributing Member

More than just rust, what makes me nervous about Knight is that he seems to never be in the right place. On offense, he tends to either get mushed up next to someone else and ruin spacing or hang back ten feet behind the 3-point line like he thinks he should get the ball there to initiate something. Defensively he looks like he is scrambling behind the play or his man more often than not, and my worry is that these are problems related more to basketball IQ than a lack of trust in an achilles. I REALLY want BK to work, but I don't know what would even give me a seed of hope for 10 minutes of reasonable production right now.

6. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

I agree. But I just read Rivers say “We are trying to get the highest seed possible.”

Ugh

Last year it was us realizing in Feb, holy mackerel, Warriors arent going to win 67+ games this time; if we try real hard and use playoff rotations, we might get #1 seed, which would be huge.

This year it’s, holy mackerel, even with our horrid start, no one in the West is even going to win 60 games; if we try real hard and use playoff rotations, we might get #1 seed.

I hope we realize this time that #1 seeding is not a huge deal...unless you are trying to repeat as the MVP. Sigh

HP3 and Mathloom like this.
  7. Mathloom

Supporting Member

Why would we lose depth? We would just be moving depth. Which we need, if you look at your list of 9. The best forward on that list is Tucker, and the next is.... House? Green? Ennis? Against the Warriors? That's an insurmountable task. We are already overextending our guards to cover for the lack of forwards.

BaselineFade likes this.
  8. Mathloom

Supporting Member

Of course he is at his all time worst, he has not played for a year before this and never played for us in any significant minutes.

I think you're talking about him like he matters. We're not hoping for 10 minutes now, we're hoping for 10 minutes 40+ games from now. For now, we can win at a high rate with Harden/CP/Rivers eating all the minutes. Use Green if you have to.

Who has a 4th guard that doesn't have giant flaws? From your 4th guard, you would be happy with one excellent skill, and his shooting will come back at the very least.

9. BeBreezy

BeBreezy Member

THANK. YOU.

10. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

You're talking about House? What other young talent is mention-able outside of Capela who was drafted years ago?

11. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

whenever he actually do so it seems to work but on many occasions he did not do so. why? is he boneheaded or perhaps its injuries?

i dont actually remember him continuing to attack aggressively in game 7 last year when his shot has betrayed him..he just kept chucking...

2-12 from 3 in game 7

i would either trade him or hard cap his 3pt attempts at 5 per game

#51 hakeem94, Jan 8, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2019
  12. YOLO

YOLO Member

what makes you believe this. certainly not his play. unless you're impressed with subpar to mediocre play

13. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

Keep Gordon and cough up 2 or 3 1sts plus expirings for Jaylen Brown.

Paul/Rivers
    Harden/Gordon
    Brown/Ennis
    Tucker/House
    Capela/Nene

*flamesuit on* but it's worth the risk to trade our high 20s picks for a young player that's still under his rookie deal. A young two-way player at that.

HP3 likes this.
  14. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Well, if you hardcap his 3FAs, you better make sure the opponents don’t figure that out, as that would be some very useful info for them to change their behavior once the number is reached.

It’s like telling your dog that they get a treat for good behavior, but they are hardcapped at 5 per day. Then after 5, you can’t fake them out any more, so the good behavior will cease.

I love dog analogies.

15. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

So basically it would be a ruff ride to hardcap 3s is what you're saying.

16. YOLO

YOLO Member

lets hardcap GG's 3's too while were at it

17. asianballa23

asianballa23 Member

so you saying River is making eg obsolete? And you're saying River > EG?? wow....

18. Mathloom

Supporting Member

Not a single person in this thread has said Rivers is better than EG.

19. D-rock

D-rock Member

Dreamcasting, but who would not love this scenario? Probably Celtics fans.

In any case, replace Ennis with Green.

20. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

mediocre play from role players would have gotten us chip last year