1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

I will shut down the government. I will take that mantle

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Carl Herrera, Dec 11, 2018.

1. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.

I was jokingly presenting a false dichotomy of two extremes, but I definitely lean towards a more liberal citizenship program and believe that our current program is quite conservative.

#481 DonnyMost, Jan 7, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2019
    Astrodome likes this.
  2. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I'm not really pro-wall or anti-wall. I am opposed to the politicization of border security, which should be a boring, mundane agency function that unfortunately can no longer be because decades of Congressional inaction has metastasized it into a political question. What I'd like is to give border security a budget and some bureaucrat whose name we'd never hear would decide the best way to deploy assets to be as effective as he can be to stop illegal crossings. Now we have total amateurs trying to come to their own conclusions about the best way to do it. Trump says the best way is a coast-to-coast wall. Counter-amateurs protest that it won't work. I'm pretty sure it won't work, but I still recognize I'm not an expert in border security. But we're stuck in a situation now that the wall must be opposed simply because our amateur president has boxed himself into doing it regardless of how good or bad an idea it is. Ideas about where to build border walls shouldn't emanate from some presidential candidate, it should be a recommendation of some subject matter expert that a president can accept after the arguments are made.

3. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

4. amaru

amaru Member

The constant shutdowns have gotten old.

5. NewRoxFan

It appears more republicans are breaking ranks and calling for the end of the trump government shutdown. Probably explains why (1) scheduled a meeting with republicans to discuss the shutdown and (2) the sudden interest in using the bully pulpit and address the nation from the oval office (the first time for trump in two years).

6. CCorn

CCorn Member

When will they stop picking up my trash?

7. NewRoxFan

8. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

Interesting flashback to 2003 shutdown.

9. NewRoxFan

It was a joke...

Fast forward to today... Friday the shutdown will be the longest in U.S. history.

Good news:

Better news:

10. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

I think its pretty obvious here that McConnell feels slighted and is letting Trump simply implode on his own. However the only way I really see this shutdown being resolved is if he defies Trump and opens voting for veto proof bills to re-open the government.

Trump enjoys the chaos and thinks he thrives in it. The Dems cannot and should not give into autocratic governing & abuse of power. McConnell is really the only guy who can put an end to this madness.

11. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

I am progressive in most issues. But I want illegal immigration stopped. I think a wall is idiotic though.

I believe I have already asked this question on here and got no real answers. Just "yes exactly" but... If people want to stop illegal immigration then why don't they make it impossible to hire someone that is here illegally? That would seem to stop the tide of people coming if they can find no work. But hey what the hell do I know.

mdrowe00 and Hakeemtheking like this.
  12. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I think this has been floating and not going anywhere because most Americans are unaffected
    They only HEAR about affected people
    Until the general American feels the pain . . .they don't care
    Just stick with the political agenda

Rocket River

13. adoo

adoo Member

the trust fund baby's Marie Antoinnette moment

a trust fund baby, who had already inherited > $1 Million by age 8, > $400 Million in his life,
    can relate to [​IMG] [​IMG] living a "paycheck-to-paycheck" existence [​IMG]

Hakeemtheking likes this.
  14. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

Trump did thrive living from Con-To-Con

mdrowe00 likes this.
  15. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

Cool, I didn't know Eric Berger was a comedian or ARS Techinca a comedy magazine.

16. eric.81

eric.81 Contributing Member

I thought I was unaffected. I don't work "for" the federal government and they are not a client of mine...

However, my work is extensively involved with HUD-insured foreclosed homes. Approval from HUD is required before I can complete myriad actions ranging from certain property preservation functions and repairs to offer approval (and then some).

My point is that the Federal Government has many long tentacles that are that are a part of all our daily lives... in many cases without our explicit knowledge. My guess is that as time goes on, more and more people will see the impact of this absolutely asinine shutdown and rail against their representatives to get the wheels turning again.

Please... seriously. This is beyond stupid.

mdrowe00 likes this.
  17. eric.81

eric.81 Contributing Member

I thought I was unaffected. I don't work "for" the federal government and they are not a client of mine...

However, my work is extensively involved with HUD-insured foreclosed homes. Approval from HUD is required before I can complete myriad actions ranging from certain property preservation functions and repairs to offer approval (and then some).

My point is that the Federal Government has many long tentacles that are that are a part of all our daily lives... in many cases without our explicit knowledge. My guess is that as time goes on, more and more people will see the impact of this absolutely asinine shutdown and rail against their representatives to get the wheels turning again.

Please... seriously. This is beyond stupid.

NewRoxFan likes this.
  18. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I agree.

Rocket River

19. BruceAndre

BruceAndre Member

Well, I'm no expert on the hiring thing, but from what I have seen, both businesses and government point their fingers at each other on this issue. Something like "well, we could insure that every worker is legal, if only X did X." And nothing happens. This is a political problem.

Then you have the problem of the bureaucracy, mostly on the govt side.

And, like others have said, maybe there is too much vested interest, on various sides, in doing nothing. ie, many sides prefer the status quo.

20. BruceAndre

BruceAndre Member

Not sure this is true. Have you seen the Go Fund Me for funding the wall?

This is an excellent point.

Not sure I agree with this. There are those whose wages have been impacted. There are those whose safety has been impacted, and this includes highway/road safety. Then there is the caravan, and the possibility of future ones. That is an invasion by any definition. These are legitimate grievances. You take them together and it's not just a "fetish" issue with a handful of disaffected voters.

Agree with this.

Disagree with this, mostly. I'd say that while we're $21 trillion in debt, we can't be handing out money like this. That said, it may be necessary in a few cases, like to help out Mexico stop things like the caravan.
    Agreed.

It may actually be low, but once again we come to the problem of the media. All it takes is a few well publicized cases of a citizens being killed by an illegal here in the US for it to look like there is a larger problem. And I assume that recent case of the police officer being killed by an illegal was not fake news.