1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Houston Cougars Football Thread

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by Chopped, Aug 29, 2011.

1. seemoreroyals

seemoreroyals Member

At least with Holgorson at HC we have a chance to beat OU. If Applegate still around guarantee we would be blown out of game by half time.

Hippieloser and solid like this.
  2. bloodwings19

bloodwings19 Member

I think TTech is scared by his salary at WVU, I don't think TTech want to pay top money to be the next head coach.

3. J.R.

J.R. Member

4. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

In Houston though and it was Herman’s 2nd year.

5. dc rock

dc rock Contributing Member

Nope. Zero truth to this just like there was zero truth to Kliff being Houston's first choice. A good article on how this hire happened.

#5805 dc rock, Jan 6, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2019
  6. dc rock

7. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

There isn’t a single sentence in that article that refutes the rumor Holgerson wanted the Tech job when it opened up. If anything, it shows that Holgerson/WV were already having contract issues that would lead to him looking around.

8. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

It would've been kinda dumb of Holgo not to use the Tech opening as leverage for a new contract.

9. J.R.

J.R. Member

Source tells FootballScoop Southern Miss offensive coordinator Shannon Dawson is a strong candidate to join Dana’s staff. Dawson previously served as Dana’s OC for several years at West Virginia.

Source tells FootballScoop Ryan Dorchester is expected to follow Dana to Houston from WVU. Source tells FootballScoop Dorchester might move into [Alex] Hammond’s role.

(Alex Hammond was WV's Associate AD for football)

#5809 J.R., Jan 6, 2019
  10. dc rock

It's the best article on the timeline of the hire from a major news outlet. He has multiple sources. It's based on actual facts. It discusses Holgorsen's history with Houston and his relationship with Fertitta. It's well written. I thought it was a better alternative to inaccurate "rumors" oddly determined to prove that the hire was some random accident haphazardly brought together by equally desperate parties. It's a nice narrative for people to cling to on college football message boards, but it's not based in reality.

11. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Dude you’re looking at this completely backwards. Dana’s rumored interest in the Tech opening came out well more than a month before Major was even fired. The article is clear that there were contract issues so like @DonnyMost posted, Holgerson would be dumb not to use that as leverage at the very least.

Tillman got his guy and it’s a big pull for UH. That rumor (true or not) does not add or take away from that, and certainly was not made up just prove anything about a hire UH would make more than a month later.

#5811 gucci888, Jan 6, 2019
  12. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

As expected UH cleaned house and fired pretty much everyone so that Holgerson could bring in all of his own people. I was holding out hope for selfish reasons that they'd keep on some of the lower level guys.

13. Buck Turgidson

At this point, yall gotta love Fertitta at UH right?

14. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

No question, he's single handedly ensuring the UH football program stays relevant. He's also done some great things for the basketball program too.

If it wasn't for him throwing around his weight and writing checks left and right the whole athletic department would be garbage.

15. Buck Turgidson

I would kill to have Sampson at UT. We already got Herman, guess I can't be too greedy.

Also loving the UH resurgence in hoops, that Michigan game last March was what got me going again.

16. Pat

Pat Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

There is that line about the chicken be involved in your breakfast, but the pig is committed!
    Khator understands the importance quality sports bring to a school, Fertitta is paying for it.

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  17. Buck Turgidson

You're stealing lines from Mike Leach?

18. Pat

Pat Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Anybody hear about a DC decision? While back talk David Gibbs was the guy, but haven't heard anything lately.

19. Pat

Pat Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I came up with that on my own. Doesn't mean somebody else didn't say it first,

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  20. Buck Turgidson

I'll allow it. Leach stole it from somebody else, I stole it from my grandfather.