1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

We are watching an all-time great in his Prime

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by riko, Dec 16, 2018.

?

are we taking harden for granted

1. No

18.2%
  2. Yes

81.8%
  1. CCorn

CCorn Member

You replace harden with dream and the rockets are Still losing to the warriors.

2. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Nobody said anything about replacing anyone.

It was asked about whoever accomplished leading teams to more than 1 Finals or to multiple championships.

3. CCorn

CCorn Member

Ah. I thought it was that BS about putting someone else on this team. Jordan ain’t beating the warriors in that game 7 without paul

DavidRocket likes this.
  4. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

@Caesar
    I could go on and on and on showing hand checking in today's NBA.
    • Here's the announcers in Game 5 even saying "Harden Checked" by Roberson. (Yes, I know "checked" can just mean guarding, but it's funny, because that is a hand-check.)
    • Roberson checks Hardens left hip in preference to guiding Harden to his right, but it achieves nothing as the MDA offense can just peel that defender off Harden's hip with a pick.

• Here is Avery Bradley in key possession against Kyrie of a highly-acclaimed, playoff-preview matchup. This play was much talked about (see time and score), and no one complained about the multiple hand-checks to prevent spin moves by Kyrie
    • Bradley is basically trapping Kyrie by taking one side away with his hand checks

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

#424 heypartner, Jan 5, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2019
  5. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

@aelliott You need to look at this post by @heypartner

SamFisher likes this.
  6. Caesar

Caesar Member

Yes let’s continue to argue about it over our armchairs while actual players who played both eras always say the same thing about how soft and easy it is to score and how you’re not allowed to play defense

7. Caesar

Caesar Member

JJ Watt is a plumber

8. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

Every player in every sport says things were harder back in the day. I will tell you this, I watched basketball in the 80's 90's 00's and 10's - and the sport never seemed harden or more complex than it does today.

The game has speeded UP man, go back and watch 80 game half court movement and then look at today's. Look how much space they had. Today you see guys shooting with a foot of space. The game is faster, bumpier, and 10x harder than ever, and folks like you just hold on to the past because of nostalgia.

There's a reason the good ole days are gone. Because they weren't that good!

9. Caesar

Caesar Member

Yes it’s so exciting watching every team jack up three pointers and easy layups like an all star game.

You don’t like smash mouth ball. That’s your preference. Nothing you mention is some proven measurement of it being “better.” Bigger stronger faster!!!!1

10. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Lol, do you realize how silly this is?

If we left this type of analysis to actual players why don't we just fire Morey and hire one of the legions of actual players like Isiah Thomas or Michael Jordan to call the personnel shots

Oh that's right because they suck at it, probably because at least in part they cant disambiguate their bias from the playing days from the way the game is played today (remember when MJ was going to give the Wizards a scouting advantage because he could personally play against potential draft picks? Bahahaha...Kwame Brown!)

Kenny Smith (who has an armless chair, though maybe they're just below the desk) has about as much experience guarding James Harden as I do. Its like asking some grizzled vodka swilling 70's cosmonaut how to do a software upgrade of a SpaceX Falcon 9.

We can either use logic and data to make a conclusion or go with fading memories of biased interpreters. It's an easy choice.

AstroRocket likes this.
  11. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Lol, do you realize how silly this is?

If we left this type of analysis to actual players why don't we just fire Morey and hire one of the legions of actual players like Isiah Thomas or Michael Jordan to call the personnel shots

Oh that's right because they suck at it, probably because at least in part they cant disambiguate their bias from the playing days from the way the game is played today (remember when MJ was going to give the Wizards a scouting advantage because he could personally play against potential draft picks? Bahahaha...Kwame Brown!)

Kenny Smith (who has an armless chair, though maybe they're just below the desk) has about as much experience guarding James Harden as I do. Its like asking some grizzled vodka swilling 70's cosmonaut how to do a software upgrade of a SpaceX Falcon 9.

We can either use logic and data to make a conclusion or go with fading memories of biased interpreters. It's an easy choice.

12. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

There's FAR more ball movement today than there was in 2001. You think it's the rule changes that changed the game - it is not. It's the greatness of the defense that mid-range shots aren't worth it. The only way to exploit a zone is with outside shooting and attacking the rim. This is why the post game died in college long ago. It's why you see the same revolution that is happening in the NBA happening in college.

It's not rule changes, it's basketball is fundamentally changing as a sport. Why? Because today's athlete's are too fast for the amount of space on the court. To be an efficient offense, you have to stretch defenses out - and there is only ONE way to do that - hit more 3 point shots to open up the lane.

The post game is dying in basketball because of athleticism and speed favor the defense as it shrinks the court. If you want to return to a bygone era, the only way to do it is to inject players with a slo-mo drug.

Some people embrace change, and some people can't handle it.

YaoMing#1 and vlaurelio like this.
  13. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

threes at an efficient rate and highly efficient layups whats wrong with them?

14. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I can't believe that so many members voted "no," that they have been taking James Harden for granted. My mind was blown (which admittedly doesn't take much) when we traded for him and he's gotten better every season, far better than anyone had a right to expect, which sure as hell didn't make me take him for granted. Heck, it makes me view him as a rare gift that keeps getting better with age, like a rare single malt Scotch.

How is that taking him for granted? How can any of us take him for granted? It would be akin to taking Dream for granted and who did that? They're different players playing different positions, and James doesn't have any hardware, but they have something in common. They are both transcendent players, generational players who's play is changing the game we love. In my humble opinion.

15. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

16. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Wow! I already knew he was good, but those stats are beyond good and into the realm of incredible. Nice find! :cool:

17. mikol13

Supporting Member

Absolutely ridiculous. Also shows that he has the second most FG made over the same span behind LeBron. That one surprised me a little
    since he’s made more free throws.

18. mikol13

Supporting Member

19. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

Clearly the difference is Kobe honorably earned his points. Harden gamed the system.

beard4life likes this.
  20. mikol13

Supporting Member