1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live, including KD vs. Ant and the star-studded Clippers-Mavericks matchup

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Fake news - the liberals are unhinged and out of control

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by bigtexxx, Jan 29, 2017.

1. okierock

okierock Contributing Member

The fact that the left listens to and believes the echo chamber that is the main stream media is the EXACT reason why they are so in shock that Trump won. They were lied to.

All those polls and confirmation stories from the press, everywhere I looked and listened the world told me that Trump couldn't win.

The media hasn't changed and the left is still listening and they are still calling the right racist and xenophobe and deplorable. You are not pulling people to your side, you are alienating everyone who might possibly have a rational conversation.

bigtexxx likes this.
  2. BigDog63

BigDog63 Member

No, I wasn't whining. Merely pointing it out. Unlike what the media has been doing, I might add. Their ranting has a definite whiny tone to it.

Ahh, debunked because...you say so? Got it.
    Possibly true, worth keeping an eye on. Although I suspect the left will cry 'conflict' quite often where none actually exists. Also worth keeping an eye on.

As for closer ties, you can already see how that is being spun. In general, having ties with foreign leaders seems to be a positive when liberals have it, and a negative when conservatives do.

3. TheresTheDagger

I know the "sore winner" accusation has been made. I personally think it's counterproductive, but do recall a LOT of this attitude in the first several years of both of Obama's terms. Doesn't make it right, but does explain the "turnabout is fair play" attitude. Meanwhile...

Normally, I would listen to a post like this and agree with the logic behind it, however I would note the following:

Under President Obama, Democrats have lost 900+ state legislature seats, 12 governors, 69 House seats, 13 Senate seats. To make matters worse, in 2018 Democrats have 10 seats up in the Senate in deep red states...overall, Democrats have 23 seats up for election in 2012 vs. 8 for Republicans. Anything is possible, but if anything Republicans have a chance at a super majority in the Senate in 2018 and are very unlikely to lose their majorities in either house.

And on top of all of this, they won the Presidency against all odds with a historically unlikeable candidate despite the media, huge money, hollywood, pollsters, all lined up against him.

How did ALL of this happen? Certainly, the Tea Party had it's role to play...but I sincerely doubt it was instrumental in the change.

One last comment. It is my humble opinion that the people are sick to death of politics and simply want results. Elections are decided by voters in the middle, not the fringes. If Trump and the Republicans deliver results, they will continue to be in power moving forward. If they don't, they won't. Simple as that.

#163 TheresTheDagger, Feb 1, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2017
    okierock and Bobbythegreat like this.
  4. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Dude, if you weren't so intellectually lazy and lazy with the keyboard you could easily go look up clinton clash debunk and read up on the problems with it - namely that it isn't based on any fact.

you are sounding like an alt-right guy right now.

5. BigDog63

BigDog63 Member

Always with the insults....all from the party of tolerance and inclusion. And then the gall to call someone else intellectually lazy, when this is all you have to offer. I couldn't make up a better poster child for how the left reacts that we have been discussing in this thread. Bravo!

6. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

7. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Some stupid video trying to demonize the other side.

This kind of crap from the right and the left is one of the biggest problems with our country. People are entitled to and able to have different opinions on policy, and still be Christians, patriots, and good folks. They just believe on some issues that things should be handled a different way. They believe that out of the goodness of their heart.

I'm not signaling one side out over the other because both sides do this. I'm very far to the left. I have family and friends all over the political spectrum. Not one of them is represented by all of the crap videos that are posted on these boards.

Cut the S*&!

R0ckets03 likes this.
  8. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

Your response mirrors my opinion that anytime people across the aisle make a counterpoint...The left always resorts to a form of "name calling."

Having a different stance or opinion is perfectly acceptable...And I really enjoy it. Its actually a good thing to challenge each position on its merits alone. Perhaps more so recently...my opinions of reasonable discourse are muted by constant and nonstop degradation of being conservative... Just look at each of the various topics posted on the D&D. It has become a Trump/conservative bashing circle jerk... If we can get past name calling, then perhaps we could have a more meaningful discussion across various topics. Maybe Im just naive to think that reasonable discussion can be achieved in places like this...

And considering that I come from a strong conservative background... I am not ignorant to the opinion or thought processes of the other side. But being conservative has been demonized...and its very evident even in this forum. Finally in regards to the video you were so dismissive of...Rubin considers himself as a "classical liberal" with libertarian leanings.

9. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

1) Thank you for attempting to engage in meaningful dialogue even if the other member is more interested in quick gotchas and menial political points.

2) I try to avoid television news like the plague.

I don't have the time nor effort to vet all the sources I read all the time, so I have to choose what I believe is accurate, and if what its telling me is outrageous, go one level deeper by reading the same topic across other sources. That's all I got, and I think it was you who rightfully pointed out that polling was a skewed indicator for the election. I read your source, and kudos for that.

The erosion of the 4th estate is a given. Even before the internet, their operating margins were getting thinner from increased competition to "entertainment". A Fox producer once told me that their budget is so razor thin, several of the mistakes they air was from being overstretched rather than maliciously false. Who knows whether to laugh or cry at that point.

I believe that's standard operating practice for both print and tv media because they're feeling the crunch towards sustaining profitability.

This means:
    - Less international presence
    - More pooled sources...some government sponsored, some private...
    - Less resources for vetting and fact checking
    - More sensationalized click bait and page turners. Or in the case of news, angry shouty people alongside easy on the eyes news anchors who read and speak well.

It's not a conspiracy. It's more like a fact that news outlets are owned by a handful of wealthy private families whose interests are increasingly multinational and tortured with conflicts.

This threat of "fake news", where independent websites or accounts can spread rumors like wildfire and burn away at the end of it, isn't a partisan inspired threat. It's more an ongoing erosion of journalistic standards that came to being 50-70ish years ago. Conservative news is on the other side of it because, like you said, it's the minority opinion being reported. I like to think that financial news is a little better at removing bias because its readers have money on the line in forming their opinions.

So it's up for the reading public to choose whether they want to eat from the common slop or to spend time and real hard earned money for something more substantial, patient, and analytical.

3) I don't think Trump is the next Hitler. I will say elevating Steve Bannon into National Security meetings, someone who has the intelligence and capacity to spread hateful rhetoric through his former publication Breitbart, is ****ing dangerous. This man is bracing for "the next American turning" to the point where I don't know whether he's trying hard to prevent it or be the actual cause of it.

So is promoting Jeff Sessions as AG. There will be some serious civil rights conflicts brewing with him at the helm, and I don't believe race relations in the US is a zero sum game.

Those two Trump choices and the signing statements they inspire are what's causing minorities to freak out over Trump. It's their asses on the line, so maybe they will Godwin their way to vent their frustration. I'm sure you've heard people use colorful language when Obama impacted something they depend on. Maybe Hitler, maybe worse.

CometsWin and FranchiseBlade like this.
  10. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'm not sure why coming from a strong conservative background means you are not ignorant of the thought processes on the other side?

I agree with you that we shouldn't resort to name calling, but a video of guy who claims that liberals aren't really liberal doesn't hold much merit. I have seen the argument presented long ago by basso. It didn't hold weight then, and it doesn't now.

I have always been liberal, and there are some things that liberals cling to now that I am 100% against. I am not in any way supportive of PC. At the same time, that doesn't excuse people who make racist/sexist statements or jokes. Calling those people out is calling out racism and not something that falls into the PC bull.

Censoring literature such as Mark Twain because it uses the N. word does fall into PC crap and should not be accepted by anyone. The message in his books were absolutely against racism especially given the time in which it was written. We should never erase context from anything, but at the same time we shouldn't allow context to excuse that which inexcusable.

mdrowe00 likes this.
  11. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Mods, wasn't sure if this was the correct "fake news" thread for this link. Please move to a different "fake news" thread if necessary.

https://www.aol.com/article/news/20...te-night-twitter-rant-about-witches/23632518/

Rudy Giuliani roasted over bonkers late-night Twitter rant about witches

[​IMG]
    LEE MORAN
    Jan 3rd 2019 5:56AM

Rudy Giuliani faced widespread ridicule on Twitter late Wednesday for getting all worked up about witches.

The former New York City mayor, who is now President Donald Trump’s lawyer, ranted about Robert Mueller’s investigation into Russian interference in the 2016 election and possible Trump campaign collusion:

He also incorrectly spelled the special counsel’s last name as “Meuller” instead of “Mueller.”

Giuliani “was likely referring” to this CNN segment that aired during the holidays about witches who took issue with Trump for using the term “witch hunt” in defense of Mueller’s probe, Mediaite reported:

Tweeters inevitably called out Giuliani for his post:
    more at the link including a boat load of worked up bonkers tweets

12. mick fry

mick fry Member

Fresh-faced U.S. Rep. Rashida Tlaib wasted no time in calling for the impeachment of President Donald Trump just hours after being sworn in.
    Speaking to a crowd of supporters Thursday night, the Michigan Democrat and first Muslim women elected to Congress said of Trump: "People love you and you win. And when your son looks at you and says, 'Momma, look you won. Bullies don't win.' And I said, 'Baby, they don't, because we’re gonna go in there and we’re gonna impeach the mother***er.

You guys must be so proud.

13. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

So is it bad for politicians to curse, or not?

Because if it is...

14. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

The first Muslim woman, on her first day in congress does this. You literally can’t make this stuff up. The democrats just humiliate themselves!

15. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Perhaps you can answer the question.

Is it a bad thing for politicians to curse, or not?

16. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

I can taste that false outrage from hundreds of miles away up here in New England.

17. bigtexxx

Calling another person a MFer is not an example of being a good Muslim, that's for sure!

18. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Again, the false outrage is obvious to a point where I am asking myself "why bother even trying to pretend? Surely Bigtexxx literally doesn't believe that there are actually posters who have this little awareness to actually believe he is sincere".

19. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Well you didn’t answer the questiion, but I’m guessing your saying it’s okay? Let me know if you disagree.

I personally don’t think politicians should be cussing like that, it should be a family friendly thing. Again, let me know if your disagree.

But I have another question as well since you said it’s not being a good Muslim...

Would calling someone a mother ****er also not be a good example of being a good Christian?

20. bigtexxx

Literally on what should have been a historic day, with the first Muslim woman starting in Congress, she calls the president a MFer. She's just lost all of that "oh cool, we're so diverse sympathy feel-good" from everybody! It's a shame!