1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

[Official] Astros Off Season

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Oct 19, 2018.

1. Stros4me

Stros4me Member

I think Justice thinks we do not have any glaring needs. There isn’t a need to put all the chips on the table.

I can see his point of view. We have a ton of talent ready to contribute to the MLB team, some of which have already come up and demonstrated their worth. We have a load of all-star talent on the active roster too. There really isn’t a rush.

IowaAstro likes this.
  2. Stros4me

Stros4me Member

On MLB Tonight, McTaggert said Astros were in the Cruz sweepstakes until the very end. He thinks it was a huge disappointment to our FO that we didn’t get him.

I guess that shows you our FO stance on White as DH.

I hope we can come up with a trade solution that adds a high qualify DH to our roster.

3. IowaAstro

IowaAstro Member

At this point I am hoping we bring DK back. It does not look like he will get 5 years, maybe come back with a 4/75-80 mill.

4. Stros4me

Stros4me Member

I don’t think he’s worth 4-80. Not the right point of his career. At most I’d offer 3-55, and I know he would pass.

AznH-TownFan likes this.
  5. Nook

Nook Member

If the Astros wanted Cruz THAT bad, he would be an Astro.

They wanted him under their terms and conditions.

The Beard, BigM, IowaAstro and 2 others like this.
  6. awc713

awc713 Member

Good thing you’re not the Stros GM

Snake Diggit likes this.
  7. Stros4me

Stros4me Member

I love the way we always assume people would choose HOU above any other team if all things were equal. Just because we have a great team and environment doesn’t mean every player wants to play here.

8. Stros4me

Stros4me Member

Yep. Except our GM is passing too.

9. awc713

awc713 Member

All that’s known is that HOU—like every other team—is not offering 5 years. How is that “passing”, exactly?

10. Stros4me

Stros4me Member

Based on everything I’ve seen, Keuchel isn’t even being considered as a serious option to return. I’ll eat crow if he comes back, but my $ is on him being long, long gone.

11. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

He's still upset about Cruz. Let him mourn.

awc713 likes this.
  12. Stros4me

Stros4me Member

Based on everything I’ve seen, Keuchel isn’t even being considered as a serious option to return. I’ll eat crow if he comes back, but my $ is on him being long, long gone.
    LOL, yes I am!

13. jim1961

jim1961 Member

I can see his point of view also. It makes all the sense in the world. But I cant shake one feeling. 2019 feels like our best chance to win another WS compared to the immediate years following IMO. After 2019, we start losing guys (JV, Cole, McHugh) that are hard to replace or keep. With that Mindset, some (I doubt I am alone) feel like we should do all we can for 2019. Not cash in all our chips or empty the farm. Nothing ridiculous as that. But maybe that one additional move that you wouldn't ordinarily make. Not a potentially team crippling gamble, but a gamble non the less.

As far as the "talent ready to contribute to the MLB team" goes, that is overstating things a bit (IMO). Potential, yes. But counting on several rookies/unproven types to breakthrough all in the same year is unlikely. Very much so.

If we go down in flames in 2019 (fail to get to the WS), I would rather it be because we took a chance and made some trades or spent some money on guys to help us, rather than because we over-relied on too many inexperienced in-house options.

14. Stros4me

Stros4me Member

I agree completely. I think Cruz was that one additional punch that you spoke about.

I will say though, we have until Aug 31 to make the all-in moves. I just pray that we can make the biggest moves when we need to do so.

15. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

I feel like the better players will be available at the deadline. I don't care to waste cap space or prospects for guys that aren't impact players and obvious upgrades. We also need to know which young guys are going to step up. Now is as good a time as any.

What if come July Tucker, Whitley, and James have all emerged as solid players? That extends the window if we have 2 starters and an everyday LF making the minimum for 3 years.

If White hits anywhere close to what he did last year he's a steal at 500k. Cruz scares me considering our current payroll and needs at pitcher. He's going to be 39 come July and who knows what year he is going to fall off a cliff. Beltran went from hitting .295 the year before we signed him to .231 with the Astros. His OPS also fell 200 points. Beltran went from being an All-Star to a way below average player real quick.

IowaAstro likes this.
  16. Stros4me

Stros4me Member

Cruz was the one FA that I thought could at a bargain and add a ton of value to our roster (post-Brantley). Now that he’s gone I agree that the best acquisitions are likely deadline deals. I’d also rather we see what we have than settle for roster fillers.

Speaking of Beltran, I think he deserves a ton of credit for our WS victory—more for his clubhouse leadership and ability to spoil the Dodgers by spotting pitching tells. As a player, he definitely fell off—although I don’t think Cruz is there yet.

arkoe likes this.
  17. ktex

ktex Member

Guessing Beltran's on-field fall off directly contributed to the hesitancy to go all in on Cruz.

18. Stros4me

Stros4me Member

Or Cruz just chose Minn over HOU.

19. Marteen

Marteen Member

20. Stros4me

Stros4me Member

Yep, pass.