1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Astros Off Season

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Oct 19, 2018.

1. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

If the Dodgers are offering within 10% of what the Phillies, White Sox, and Astros are offering, they’ve gotta be the favorite. Contender, close to home, major market, young core. They have it all.

2. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Wish it was Markakis' skill set with Peralta's age. Of course Brantley is basically the mix of both. I think if you sign Brantely, you do it expecting to play him at DH a lot to help reduce the wear and tear on his body.

Why would the Braves trade Inciarte?

raining threes likes this.
  3. SS0101

SS0101 Member

The "holdup" on a Realmuto trade to the dodgers is Cody Bellinger. Haha...we need to move on. It is not only likely but probable that they are asking for Correa. This should answer all the "why did we sign Chirinos" questions. Marlins are just not being realistic.

4. Nook

Nook Member

To everyone complaining about J.A. Happ, he is going to the Yankees......... but it is also a good indication that Machado may be going to NY as well.

5. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

6. SKYGODZ187

SKYGODZ187 Member

I still think we get Realmuto. I just think Lunhow and company have drawn a line in the sand and are sticking to it.

Morton should return to the Astros.

On another note. Cruz? Why not make the move for Micheal Fulmer and Nick Castellanos?
    And sign Brantley to play 1B?
    You could still get Realmuto and Sign Avisail Garcia

7. SS0101

SS0101 Member

How is that an indicator that he is going to NY? Because going with Happ is a cheaper option? I dont mind the way the yankees are building their team. Doesnt scare me as much as some of the other options/avenues they could have taken.

8. SuraGotMadHops

Those mothaf****ers, ever since Clemens they've been trying to mess with our people.

9. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Nolan Ryan faints

mikol13, SuraGotMadHops and BigM like this.
  10. SS0101

SS0101 Member

I wonder if that "line in the sand" is tucker. If it is, then the Marlins are stupid for not taking that and running. Also, if it is, then I think you are right, they should eventually cave because I dont think they are going to get anything better. I personally am not sure if 2 years of realmuto is worth it. But at the same time I also wasnt a fan of trading for Yelich and now, looking back, wouldnt that have been nice.

11. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

What’s going on with Morton? He contemplating retirement or is our offer on the low end? Can’t imagine he’d want to leave.

IowaAstro likes this.
  12. Nook

Nook Member

Machado has a strong preference towards the Yankees and they likely saved money inking Happ for only 3 seasons... that is my personal opinion (Machado being more likely). I have been told repeatedly that Machado has a very strong NY preference though.

Part of me hopes they get Machado because it will hamstring them from making as many moves in the future.

SS0101 likes this.
  13. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

The Astros aren't gonna bid against themselves.

I'm sure he wants to come back, and I'm sure we want him back, but the Astros are gonna let the market do it's thing. I would be surprised if he doesn't return. It makes too much sense giving our sudden lack of depth.

If somebody does break the bank he'll probably be gone though.

BigM likes this.
  14. Major

Major Member

Why are only $50MM players relevant? I gave 4 examples: Cruz, Happ, Harper, Brantley - 3 of which aren't $50MM players. And why couldn't it be the difference - that's a 12% salary bump for a $50MM player. Regardless of flexibility, they have a maximum they will offer anyone. Without a $6MM backup catcher, that max could be $6MM higher.

Let's say they think some player is worth $45MM / 3 years. Maybe they get in a bidding war and use their flexibility to go up to $50MM because they think he could be the difference on the team. Without wasting $6MM on a backup catcher, they could have offered $56MM if needed and come out with a better outcome (Stassi + this player instead of Chirinos + not getting this player).

In the simplest 1-yr deal with someone like a Charlie Morton, bumping up a salary by $6MM seems like it could make a huge difference.

Or in a trade, they could eat $6MM more in salary, meaning they have to give up less prospects or can become more appealing to another team.

15. SS0101

SS0101 Member

Sound logic which is what I was thinking too. I hope they sign Machado too. He seems like such a cancer. I know the Dodgers won with him (albeit for 2 months), but we have seen how he acts in a contract year. Imagine how he behaves after getting one of the richest contracts in baseball history smh.

16. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Remember when AJ Burnett publicly said he was either going to re-sign with the Pirates or retire, but turned around and took $15M from Philadelphia?

I'm sure he wants to come back and would be happy to stay with the Astros, but he isn't likely going to leave major dollars on the table to do so.

BigM likes this.
  17. SuraGotMadHops

I can't believe that didn't cross my mind first. For whatever reason the first thing that came to mine was when Clemens wanted to sign here and Tom Hicks kept interfering and put together this bogus presentation of how fast a plane ride from Houston to Arlington would be, and how much more run support he'd get from the Rangers.

bobrek likes this.
  18. Marteen

Marteen Member

19. awc713

awc713 Member

20. Hoothrewpoo

Hoothrewpoo Member

13% state income tax... they do have it all.

chievous minniefield likes this.