1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What if Suns demand 2 first round picks to take on Knight contract for Ariza?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by BigBum, Dec 1, 2018.

?

Would you trade Knight and 2 first round picks for Ariza?

1. Yes, Ariza knew MDA system and they demand 2 Firsts to swallow Knight's salary.

14 vote(s)
    8.2%
  2. No. I'd keep Knight or trade for a younger player.

157 vote(s)
    91.8%
  1. YaoMing#1

YaoMing#1 Member

While I agree who the hell would give up 2 firsts for Ariza? The answer is nobody lol.

Superstars on expiring contracts sometimes only fetch 2 firsts.

With that said I think the rockets could most definitely trade for Ariza this season, because we didn’t trade him he signed with the Suns as a FA.

Lawlruschang likes this.
  2. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

He'll get bought out.... who on earth is going to trade anything of value for Ariza at this point. The lakers won't. The clippers won't. The warriors won't. He also won't be happy being traded to just anyteam. Ariza seems like someone who wears his heart on his sleeve. If he does not like the situation I guarantee it'll show.

Lawlruschang likes this.
  3. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

I'm just imagining Morey sitting in his office. Phone rings:

Morey: Hello?
    Suns GM: I DEMAND TWO FIRST ROUND PICKS AND BRANDON KNIGHT FOR TREVOR ARIZA!
    Morey: Is this the Jerky Boys?

napalm06 and RocketToVegas like this.
  4. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

May be the DUMBEST idea in the HISTORY of this message board.:eek:

Your posting privilege needs to be revoked for even suggesting this.

Lawlruschang likes this.
  5. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

Yes. We can probably combine a whole bunch of small salaries and technically we can acquire him. But read the thread title. We cannot trade Knight to Phoenix. How? HOW HAS THIS THREAD REACHED THREE PAGES WHEN THAT HAS BEEN POINTED OUT!!!!

#45 Zoplicone, Dec 1, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2018
    34to11 and ROXTXIA like this.
  6. tc0330

tc0330 Member

lol the f*ck? no

7. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

After Morey made all the future first round picks available in the Butler situation, I went through every team to try to see who A) would care so much for first rounders and B) would have that player that’s worth that sacrifice made available.

To be honest not many teams met the criteria for B), honestly at the time Kevin Love was the only idea. But I thought a team like the Clippers would love to stock pile all those picks in their rebuild. So I thought why not offer the first rounders to shore up our depth with a Harrell and Lou for Knight + multiple first rounders. But that idea looks like a complete joke now seeing Clippers are looking down at us.

8. HorryForThree

HorryForThree Member

This obsession with Ariza has got to stop. If anything, Ariza's play has vindicated Morey's decision to let him go - TA is shooting a career low 37% from the field and his turnovers per game have doubled from last season. His defensive rating is now 114 - the highest it has ever been in his career by a wide margin and 7 points up from last year. Now maybe some of that is due to him playing on a bad team, but frankly he is in his 17th season and probably has this year and maybe another one left before he hangs it up.

Beyond his decline, the single biggest benefit he brought to this team was his ability to play well in big games and hit big shots in big moments. He did this often for us at critical times. However, in the two biggest games of our season last year (games 6 and 7 vs. GSW), he combined to go 6 for 30 shooting, and 2 for 18 from 3-point range (0-9 during game 7). It is no exaggeration to say that had he hit 4-5 3's that final game, we win. We needed him to play well above average and for him to be his optimal self, and yet he played like trash.

Luc and Ariza are not going to magically solve the problems of this team. With them both, we are probably the same, maybe worse right now. The league has changed, and we need to get younger and quicker. My guess is that Morey will look to upgrade Ennis' position near the trade deadline (I think we should just move EG to the starting lineup with CP3 and JH), and I think we should be optimistic to see how House develops - at 6'6'' he has a good size and his strength really helps him finish well near the rim when he has to hang in the air or bully smaller guys driving to the hoop. He has missed some open 3's and he'll need to improve there along with his defense (Lavine gave him fits tonight), but I think he will and he doesnt seem to be afraid of the moment when he's in the game. I think he has a chance to unseat Ennis if Ennis doesnt get traded, though I think he will.

Baqui99 and RocketToVegas like this.
  9. jimmyv281

jimmyv281 Member

Is Big Bum Trevor Ariza?

10. roslolian

roslolian Member

Keyword here is WAS.

If you are gonna trade 2 picks it better be for an elite or near elite level young player.

11. SuperKev

SuperKev Contributing Member

Don't want Ariza back at all. He isn't playing well and is 1yr older. Lots of players out there to choose from.

12. N2bnfunn

N2bnfunn Member

We don't want him back period.. he can NOT shoot anymore and he was one on the main reason we lost game 7 remember all those bricks he shot.. Everyone talks about his defense, really how many points did Kevin Durant in the playoffs against the Rockets?

13. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

No one is guarding durant. PERIOD! He was one of the reasons we got to game 7 in the first place! Eg harden tucker all shot abysmal in that game. The fact that luc got injured and ryan anderson was just garbage also played a big part of why Ariza was just terrible that game. Chris paul was also out. If he is bought out and is dirt cheap he is the glue guy we still need to bring back.

14. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

I think people who don't understand the cap are misguided here.

Trading Knight for ANY expiring contract - even if let's say that player could not step on an NBA court this year - would require we give up at least 1 first round pick.

Think about the values. We couldn't dump Ryno even though we attached Melton, who has roughly the same value as a late 1st or early 2nd. What we got for Melton and Ryno was a slightly less terrible contract than Ryno's (Knight) and an insignificant expiring contract in Chriss. There were reports that it would cost 2 first rounders to dump Ryno.

So Knight and our 2019 1st for Ariza's contract is a no brainer, just on a financial basis. You dump Knight's $15.6m final season at the cost of a late first rounder. Good deal.

Now let's talk about Ariza. If we hypothetically picked up this allegedly washed up version of Ariza for the minimum right now and he just came to practice and competed for minutes, he would easily and quickly earn 25 minutes on this roster. No matter how you feel about him, no matter how much you repeat the results of 2 games in a 5 year period, no matter what, you know for a fact that Ariza would legitimately EARN 25 minutes at the 3/4 competing with Clark, Green, Ennis, an overextended Tucker and a streakier-than-ever Gordon. You know it, MDA knows it, Bzdelik knows it, and Morey knows it.

Whether that contribution is worth an additional first rounder, I would say not unless we're close to the deadline and out of options and we can heavily protect that 2nd pick. In that case, I see it as a late first for dumping Knight's contract (which gives us some Luxury Tax breathing room in the offseason), and a late 1st for a plug-and-play rotation wing. Make it Knight, Melo and 2 heavily protected firsts for Ariza and Holmes, we have a good deal imo.

OTOH, I think it's possible that Knight's value goes from extremely negative to run-of-the-mill negative in a month's time. With the team healthier right now, if we can hold out a bit longer we should. The problem is these guys can not sustain this level of effort for a long period. The amount of effort and fatigue we spend to get a win is much higher this season.

#54 Mathloom, Dec 2, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2018
    Corrosion, cdxiong and Williamson like this.
  15. YaoMing#1

YaoMing#1 Member

Ahh now I see.

I wasn’t even liking at it from that angle, long work week lol.

16. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

He is the @Ball_Scientist 's mother

17. Smacktle

Smacktle Contributing Member

The only way to stop these kind of threads is to ignore them.

18. alethios

alethios Member

19. bleedroxred79

bleedroxred79 Member

Dumbest huh? Hold my beer...

20. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

The compensation isn't "for Ariza" … its the price of moving Knights contract.

I don't think the cost is 2 firsts …. but it would definitely be one first which isn't a bad haul for Phx if they are planning to buy Ariza out anyway.

Considering Knights contract is the trash we had to take back to get out from under Ryno's deal …. ugh. That offseason looks worse every time we look back at it.

I don't see them moving Knight if the cost is that prohibitive , they'll move EG for a cheap wing instead - lowering / escaping the tax.