1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

If Cp wasn’t so greedy

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by threepointshot3, Nov 28, 2018.

1. YOLO

YOLO Member

i actually understand even without it

HP3 likes this.
  2. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

You mean proof? There's no proof. It's a reasonable assumption, especially considering you and I are 2 of the most pessimistic people when it comes to Melo.

If I cared enough, I would try to find in my history when the fans attacked me for suggesting he's barely worth more than the minimum. Many thought we're getting a $5-10 player and I bet a good chunk still believe he can be that.

3. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

As a million people have already pointed out, CP3 taking a paycut doesn't effect our cap any. It doesn't enable us to sign anyone else.
    All it would do is save us money. His opt in did the exact same thing last year so from a "saving the Rockets" money it's exactly the same result as taking a pay cut.

As for the question about opting out, the value of his next deal was dependent on who he signed with. If he re-upped with LAC then he would have gotten a 5yr/$201M contract. It would have been basically the same deal that he got here except that we only gave him 4 years.

Deuce and HP3 like this.
  4. YOLO

YOLO Member

disagree but no reason to really get into a melo discussion as its been posted time and time again for months.

5. aelliott

Exactly how big of a paycut do you think CP3 should have taken?

6. Mathloom

Supporting Member

I don't think this is true. We might have been able to offer Ariza more money than whatever we offered. Not $15m, but it's not unfathomable to expect he would have returned for - let's say $12m. That's just one example, please don't get drowned in it. The point is, Morey has spent the better part of a decade harping on about flexibility.

So, since he opted in and re-signed he was able to make more on his Rockets contract than he would have if he had opted out and signed with any team including the Rockets, correct?

7. YOLO

YOLO Member

you mean the same team that didn't offer LMM the difference bw what he sign in LA for and playing for the minimum once again here.

8. Jimmy Chitwood

Mathloom is just talking out of this ass.

9. HP3

HP3 Member

Really? Who was gonna pay him? Miami? No way he was gonna that make much more than the minimum? Melo was already making 20 mil plus, that shouldn't be seen as CP advocating him for a pay cut.

That's not how it works. He has a choice in this matter as did Tucker and Luc.

Will see how it goes, right now you are right it is on Morey to make us into contenders again but I still believe CP will come through for us.

10. Mathloom

Supporting Member

LMM has a problem shoulder. Ariza is just aging. Big difference.

11. Mathloom

Supporting Member

Having a choice doesn't preclude it being lobbying.

CP3 helped us, helps us and ****ed us. I don't know why it has to be one or the other.

12. YOLO

YOLO Member

apparently the rockets were going to shell out millions more when they opted not to spend the extra few to keep moute even after ariza left at a position of need, which is still a huge hole atm

13. BigBum

BigBum Member

I did not feel this is right.

Tilman is not willing to pay 25 million luxury tax each year.

If Cp3 takes 30 million 1-yr max salary like Durant, Tilman would be able to sign Ariza (according to SAS, Ariza is willing to take 10 million contract.

And then you can trade Ariza and Moute for a good player.

the next 3 years, Tilman will be able to spend MLE.

if CP3 takes 1-year deal at a time, it is easier to manage the salary next 3 years.

Easy and Houstunna like this.
  14. Mathloom

Supporting Member

Bottom line for me: Lebron took a pay cut to win. Duncan took a pay cut to win. Durant took a pay cut to win. We are exactly in the position that we were super close to winning it.

15. RocketsLegend

RocketsLegend Member

You guys think any contending would trade for Paul. In return, we get rid of his massive contract and get some draft picks or young players

16. Mathloom

Supporting Member

Why would they keep Moute even for the minimum? We got Ennis at the minimum. I don't understand this line of thinking.

17. YOLO

YOLO Member

what's confusing about it? Rockets obviously didn't match what LA offered LMM so they let him walk. They then were forced to find a Ennis to try and fill the voids left by ariza/lmm

why would they keep him? I mean from the looks of it, the rockets are lacking in the depth department and pretty badly which has been publicly said

18. aelliott

What is it that you don't think is true? Chris Paul is making $35.6M this season. The Rockets are $32M over the cap. If CP3 played for free, then we'd be < $3m under the cap. That's less than the MLE that we still hold. So, Chris Paul taking a paycut wouldn't create any cap space to allow us to sign other players. That is a true statement.

We had Ariza's Bird Rights, we could have offered him the max if we'd have wanted to. Him not getting a big contract wasn't due to money paid CP3. Morey was trying to get a 3rd star (Lebron, PG) and those pursuits took precedence over resigning Ariza. Ariza took a big payday for a 1 year deal and he took it quickly.

Depends if you are refering to what he "could have gotten" or "what he actually got".

If CP3 had opted out then other teams would have been able to offer him a 4 year deal at (I believe) $154M. The LAC could offer him a 5 year deal at $201M. Instead he played at $24M last year and then resigned with the Rockets for 4yrs/$160M.

So, he "could" have made more money if he'd have gotten the 5th year from the Rockets but he didn't. The best financial move was always to resign with the Clips but he didn't. Over those 5 years, he'll end up making $184M from Houston. By staying in LA, he would have made $201M. The deal he ended up signing in HOU is pretty much the same deal that any other team could have offered him, he just ended up waiting a year to get the new deal. That in itself was a risk too.

19. Mathloom

Supporting Member

I don't think we're disagreeing. I wasn't wondering why we didn't keep LMM. That player who performed well in the regular season doesn't exist anymore imo.

What I'm wonder is why CP3 didn't tell Tilman he's willing to take a $5m pay cut on condition that the team spends it (and Tilman takes the LT hit out of his profits). Durant took a pay cut so they can bring Livingston and Iguodala back. The Warriors ownership still had to pay more LT than they would have if they replaced them with vet min FA's.

Anyways what's done is done. There is still one final out from this nightmare, which is to cash in future picks for rotation players. But that requires whoever f'ed up to own up to it and authorize pulling the trigger. I hope they don't spend all season with CP3 acting like everything is still possible, Tilman acting like players are the equivalent of cheap ketchup packets and Morey ignoring how bad Ryan Anderson's contract is still hurting us.

Houstunna and joshuaao like this.
  20. HP3

HP3 Member

Yea but that's him as a player. At the end of the day players make the decisions themselves, CP isn't forcing them to take less money. JJ and Ariza both took their money. He's the president, he HAS to take max money especially when that has been one of his most notes stances as the president otherwise it is hippocritical.

Ok so can you explain to me how he did that? Cause from my understanding our cap would be a mess either way wether he signed the Max or not? I don't know much about cap to be fair haha