1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

If Cp wasn’t so greedy

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by threepointshot3, Nov 28, 2018.

1. Mathloom

Mathloom Contributing Member

I mean, what are you expecting? For CP3 to have that discussion with the media?

Also, Tucker turned down bigger offers to come here and play with CP3 and we know that CP3 was lobbying him to join.

I kinda also remember the same being said about LMM, but my memory is fuzzy on that one.

HP3 likes this.
  2. HP3

HP3 Member

I mean, that's not the same thing as lobbying as president for players to take pay cuts. I believe he also asked Reddick to come here but he chose to go to Philly for more money,yea?

3. Mathloom

Lebron took a pay cut with Miami.

4. HP3

HP3 Member

My man, that was before CP was even president.

5. YOLO

YOLO Member

that's great. that's his own decision. it doesn't mean he's telling other players to do the same thing. if they want to then that's on them

6. Mathloom

The evidence looks exactly the way that it would if he lobbied Melo. And Melo took the minimum when we had the whole MLE to spare. He certainly didn't do it because this is where he could be himself. He didn't do it because it's his favorite coach. He's not particularly close with Harden. He did it cause of winning and Paul. Which is what Paul should have done.

We would never have definitive proof, and that's because he's head of the NBAPA. But even if he wasn't, there wouldn't be hard proof that it happened. And that's what I meant. Hypothetically, what would prove to you that it happened? Does that seem like something that would ever happen?

7. Mathloom

Yup. Having a different convo. @YOLO was saying Lebron advised people against taking pay cuts. Which is a hypocritical thing to do when years earlier he took a pay cut and it ended up bringing him a trophy.

HP3 likes this.
  8. Mathloom

Yup. Wish CP3 had this mindset. Advise people not to do it if it's not in their best interests, even if he does it.

9. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

And by agreeing to opt-in on the final year of his deal to facilitate a trade to the Rockets, Chris Paul took $11M less in salary that he would have gotten as a FA..

He also had a 15% trade kicker that he waved the majority of in order to make the trade happen.

joshuaao likes this.
  10. Mathloom

Yeah I know. Not sure what that has to do with him taking a pay cut?

Also, IIRC if he had opted out his long term contract would have a lower total, correct?

11. YOLO

YOLO Member

he had that mindset when he came here in the first place. we dont see lebron taking that paycut since miami

12. HP3

HP3 Member

But what I'm mentioning, Melo taking the minimum really has no meaning since he was already getting paid to begin with.

I mean if you wanna go the hypothetical route, than is it even worth brining up that point to begin with? Tucker and Luc(though I suspect Luc made his cause he wanted to get paid later) made choices for winning and if CP recruited them, that's him doing it as a player. That's not his official stance as the president.

13. Mathloom

Well Lebron has rings, and he hasn't been able to beat the Durant/Curry Warriors without taking a pay cut.

I think you guys are arguing that CP3 is no different than almost everyone else, which is true. I am arguing that some of the Warriors players are more willing to be flexible with money than our guys, and that's why they haven't had to break it up (will probably last another season minus Cousins too).

14. YOLO

YOLO Member

they got the benefit of the cap rise at the right time. every other team didn't have that luxury to enjoy it while having all their "stars" eligible to be locked in at a good price.

are all of them going to be as generous now that their price is actually higher now according to what they can really make now. well see soon enough

15. TimV

TimV Member

Key item... "With Miami".

The tact of the leadership of the player's union has dramatically changed since then. They want more of the revenue. One way to force that is to make the owners frustrated with the size of the cap and the mistakes made during that cap bulge. In many ways, the players completely smoked the owners on the current CBA - no cap smoothing, max contract at 40% of the cap, and no amnesty provision.

Expect this to eventually end in a major work stoppage, maybe not this next contract, but certainly the next. There will eventually be a point where the owners can no longer cede ground in revenue distribution without players taking on some of the risk too. That might need to be the end of guaranteed contracts or amnesty provisions that cumulatively are accounted for in the annual league-wide cap number.

16. Mathloom

It doesn't matter if Melo was getting paid. He could make money on the open market. He took the absolute minimum. There is no chance that Paul was talking Melo up as a star while believing his true value on the open market - despite getting buyout money - is the minimum.

If that's not CP's official stance, then he should have taken a pay cut and said it's not his official stance as president.

It's an excuse dude. He wanted that money. He opted in cause he wanted that money. I wanted him to have that money. But when I saw the WCF, I realized we will be hamstrung if we pay CP3 for the next 4 years based on his performance in the previous season. It is what it is, we have to live with it. Truth is it is not CP3 or Harden who will win a championship, it has to be Morey putting in the Finals MVP performance now.

joshuaao likes this.
  17. Mathloom

They have multiple rings. I would totally understand if CP3 maxed out after getting us even 1 ring.

18. YOLO

YOLO Member

there's no evidence that says melo could make more than minimum on the open market. even his interest was minimal being on the move

HP3 likes this.
  19. BigBum

BigBum Member

If it's Yao Ming, he knew he was injury-prone, he would have taken one-year deal each time.

Now it is not easy to manage Paul and Knight contracts ...

20. joshuaao

joshuaao Member

This x1000