1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Who would make for good moderators in the D&D forum?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Clutch, Nov 26, 2018.

1. cml750

cml750 Member

There were several post in that thread that fit the description of being "far outside acceptable behavior".

Clutch and Bobbythegreat like this.
  2. BullRider

BullRider Member

jesus, dude! You got in to ugly pissing contest, blamed clutch, threatened clutch's site and you have the audacity to be offended you r not considered for moderator??

3. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

Self-moderation.

jcf and Clutch like this.
  4. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

B-Bob, FranchiseBlade, JuanValdez, and Ottomation are excellent choices.

AB, Rashmon, No Worries and 1 other person like this.
  5. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

I wouldn't oppose @Astrodome

He leans right, definitely a conservative...but he does hang out here and doesnt get in insult wars and I think he's interested in discussion which is why he hangs out here.

On the left I'd go with @FranchiseBlade because he too doesn't get in long personal battles...

Then as a bonus I'd go with @jcf because he's the only person on this forum who I can't tell is left or right of center...

Of course @JuanValdez too

These are the posters I see here often enough that may be interested in doing it and who never get too emotional. I think the most important thing a moderate should do here is just to leave the personal stuff out of discussions and also I think a mod should have thick enough skin as to not block people. You can't mod what you can't see. I know Franchiseblade doesn't block many people, not sure about astrodome. I don't think JuanValdez has a history of blocking people either.

Nook, Rashmon, Astrodome and 2 others like this.
  6. Granville

Granville Member

(with) tongue in cheek
    phrase of tongue

1. without really meaning what one is saying or writing.

Link the post where I threatened this site, please.

#86 Granville, Nov 26, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2018
  7. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

@jcf would be a good one

8. mdrowe00

mdrowe00 Member

...that wipes me out...:D;)

9. biff17

biff17 Member

Oh the irony.

Yung-T likes this.
  10. AleksandarN

AleksandarN Member

Ok I will volunteer then.

11. CCorn

CCorn Member

You should make Os responsible for deleting redundant threads.

12. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

deserves its own thread

justtxyank likes this.
  13. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

I nominate Chris Paul. Perhaps it could help him earn a bit of that contract.

R0ckets03 likes this.
  14. Pole

Pole Houston Rockets--Tilman Fertitta's latest mess.

This won't end well.

RocketWalta, calurker and Space Ghost like this.
  15. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Not really. I have a history now of breaking the rules by losing my temper and saying hurtful things and everyone knows that's against the rules....i don't have a history of engaging in targeted harassment and certainly not of sitting around obsessing about other members in a discord server writing fan fiction about them and then bringing that nonsense here as part of a targeted harassment campaign. Sad as it sounds, that's something that goes on and it's unclear if it is against the rules which is why I asked about it.

16. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

@bobrek & @B-Bob would probably be my top choices. I'd also include @Major

It isn't about how moderate anybody actually is, but rather their level of tolerance. Somebody without an overly long ignore list probably suggest they have thicker skin then most.

Bobby's unacceptable tirade against Granville aside, I actually think he's more capable than most.

Rashmon and Bobbythegreat like this.
  17. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

You should first solicit any interest in becoming a moderator. It's cool to have people recommend others but it's a waste of time if that person does not really want the gig.Gather some applications and then let us decide and/or vote on the candidates.

18. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I wouldn't make a good mod, even if making me one wouldn't cause a riot...and it would.

I'd be too tolerant since I'm all but a free speech absolutist. I wouldn't want to see anyone banned or censored if I had things my way. Those 2 reasons are why I didn't even suggest it.

19. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I think it's a good step to add some more moderation here (though my name has come up too often for comfort ;) ). I know I've complained before that it is too Wild West here, and I can appreciate the reasons why but it is also why we get some of the out-of-bounds behavior we've had to deal with. I think it'd be a hard transition though if people are going to have to feel out a new normal.

What you haven't much outlined is what tools they would have. Would they only be trading on moral authority or is there something besides a ban hammer to hit nails with? One illness I believe we have is that there are a few posters who are widely (fairly or unfairly) labeled trolls or even Russian misinformation agents -- @Bobbythegreat, alleged alter-ego @BruceAndre, @RocketsLegend, @pgabriel, etc. On the one hand, trolls are unhealthy for the board; on the other hand, all these accusations about who is a troll is also unhealthy for the board. It needs to be resolved one way or the other, and it's going to cause bad blood either way.

l agree with the idea of having a committee or a couple of moderators to guard against bias. I'm trying to think of names that haven't already been mentioned. I'll post later when I think of them. @AroundTheWorld is a name mentioned before that I'd trust. We've fought a lot and I used to have him on ignore for a long while so I wouldn't fight with him anymore. But he has sense enough to know where the argument ends and where moderating begins.

No, I definitely block people. And I encourage other people to block people. I didn't like the new ignore list at first but I've found a way to live with it and use it. Honestly, I wish more people could.

Yung-T, Rashmon, arkoe and 5 others like this.
  20. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

That would be a real **** show.

The Troll does not defend his positions as much as use condescension to belittle his "opponent". That completely lacks civility and shows he does not have the temperament to be a moderator.

Eric Riley, Yung-T and fallenphoenix like this.