1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2017 NCAA Coaching Carousel Thread

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by gucci888, Sep 26, 2016.

1. Buck Turgidson

Tech should have hired him.

astros99 likes this.
  2. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

If the UCLA loss causes Helton to be fired, it was a good loss for USC. The program has drifted into oblivion.

The built in advantages USC has over the rest of the Pac 12 is ridiculous. I want him to stay.

3. J.R.

J.R. Member

4. jdh008

jdh008 Member

I'm so incredibly interested to see how Miles does at Kansas.

Like I've said before, I have little doubt that he'll improve things in short order. His name recognition alone will improve recruiting, and his head coaching experience will likely make KU a more efficient, organized outfit from the start. I think he'll probably get them to some bowl games.

Where I think I probably underestimated his value when thinking about this hire before is how he may be able to help in fundraising. It's no secret that Kansas is behind the eight ball from a football facilities perspective, so perhaps Les being the type of charismatic speaker that he is will help drum up some much-needed funds to get that on track.

Where I have doubts is what happens when they get four or five years down the road, particularly if he has a good season in year two or three and they extend him. I suppose Kansas might argue that they don't care so much about what happens four or five years down the road so long as the first three or four years are successful, but LSU really regressed offensively as time went on under Miles, and no matter how good you are defensively, you really just can't afford to fall behind offensively in the Big 12.

5. jdh008

jdh008 Member

I think the assistant coaching hires will be particularly important with this opening. As far as a head coach goes, just go get a good, proven coach who you believe can bring in quality assistants, regardless of the region in which he has "ties."

Location really plays against Colorado. The Rocky Mountain region doesn't provide enough high-level talent to be able to just build a metaphorical wall around the region and stay there to recruit. They're also far enough away from the talent in SoCal that I don't think it would be prudent to lean heavily on just assistants who you think can recruit that area.

In better times for the program, they also used to do a lot of recruiting in Texas, but recruiting is so competitive in the state at this point that I don't think stuffing the staff with Texas coaches would be the best move either. I think they're going to have to put together an eclectic staff that can keep recruiting pipelines open in every direction.

6. J.R.

J.R. Member

I guess this will pick up in the next week (and coming weeks).

(Posted in the Texas State thread but they fired Everett Withers.)

7. Nook

Nook Member

I don’t think Les Miles will be around Kansas long. He is 65 years old and some of the luster has worn off his name. He has been sniffing around for openings the last few years.

8. Buck Turgidson

His players love him, great recruiter, he'll be nothing if not entertaining at Kansas (which they haven't had since that lardass from Oklahoma), pretty big coup for them I would say. Curious now what KState will do.

9. jdh008

jdh008 Member

Kansas State is in a tough spot.

It was already going to be an awkward situation. It's clearly time for new leadership in the program, but you have to be a bit delicate about how you do it because of what Bill Snyder means to the program. Then on top of that, Snyder himself has apparently been an irritant, as he's tried to create a situation where his son Sean is the next in line, even as it seems clear that K-State doesn't have much interest in that.

But what really makes it tough at the end of this season is that they are going to end up with a thoroughly "meh" record of 6-6 or 5-7. If they had gone 9-3 or even 8-4, K-State probably shrugs their shoulders, brings him back for 2019, and kicks the can down the road for at least another year. On the other hand, if they had gone 3-9, it would be pretty easy to just cut ties and move on.

10. jdh008

jdh008 Member

There's a lot of buzz about the Charlotte job. The guys on Podcast Ain't Played Nobody (my favorite college baseball podcast) have been talking for a while about how much coaches talk about that being a potential gold mine of a job, and I've seen it mentioned by others on Twitter today.

The vibe I get is that it has the potential to be a mini-UCF or USF in that it's a large-enrollment university in a booming metropolitan area that recently moved up from a lower division, seemingly looking to use athletics to define itself as a university. I don't know that they'll come close to succeeding as well as UCF and USF did when they were coming up, simply because the P5/G5 split has never been more codified and they're doing it in a pretty weak CUSA, as opposed to the pre-realignment CUSA of UCF or the Big East of USF. But with that said, with an inspired hire, it seems like there's a lot of growth potential.

11. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Kansas State has to finally decide Bill Snyder is not bigger than the program. I've lost all respect for him because of the strong-arm tactics the last couple of years. The university must win this battle, soon.

12. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Is that something they can just decide to do right now though with his extension and next HC provisions they built in? I agree it’s time for them to move on but they handcuffed themselves pretty good.

But maybe, just maybe, they are fine with their status quo. Pretty much good for a winning season with occasional big time upset, bowl game every year, well respected and relatively clean program, all while raking in $35M+ each year. Compare that to KU who will have paid $14M+ the past 4 years to guys sitting on their butts.

13. J.R.

J.R. Member

14. jdh008

jdh008 Member

UMass almost never gets mentioned as one of the toughest jobs in the country, but I think it's right up there.

They don't have their own stadium, so they play in cavernous Gillette Stadium, which makes their already small crowds feel even smaller. They're not located in an area that produces a ton of Division I football talent, so they don't have a natural hotbed from which to pull. Currently, they're being forced to play as an independent because the MAC wouldn't let them continue in the conference unless they become a full member of the league, which they weren't willing to do, apparently.

When you don't have your own facilities, you don't have a recruiting foothold anywhere, you have to schedule 12 games on your own every single year because you don't have baked-in league games to play, and you don't have a conference title to play for, that's a deep, deep hole. I've always been a wide-eyed optimist when it comes to college football coaching jobs. Jobs are bad jobs until a really good coach comes in and wins enough to make it a better job, but the UMass job seems uniquely difficult.

15. gucci888

@jdh008 What are your thoughts on the potential USC job? Rumors are all over the place right now, some names being thrown around are Jack Del Rio, Jeff Fisher and James Franklin.

Thinking they’ll keep Helton for another season.

16. jdh008

jdh008 Member

A lot of the reporting I've seen from reporters I trust (such as SB Nation's Steven Godfrey and Richard Johnson in this coaching roundup here) suggests that Helton will be gone, barring an unlikely upset of Notre Dame on Saturday. You could make a relatively reasonable argument to keep him based on the fact that the Trojans won the Rose Bowl two years ago and won the Pac-12 a year ago, but this is where context is more powerful than raw results.

Yes, that sounds impressive, but you have to consider that the Rose Bowl isn't quite as meaningful in a world where the CFP is the be all and end all in college football and that was a 9-3 team USC team in the regular season. Last year, they coasted through a poor Pac-12 South Division to win the Pac-12 regular season and squeaked by Stanford in the title game, before getting walloped by Ohio State in the Cotton Bowl. And that was a 10-2 team in the regular season, but they were functionally eliminated from the CFP race in mid-October. For most programs in college football, these would be celebrated seasons, not grounds for firing, but these haven't been teams that are seriously in national title contention and that's the bar USC has clearly set for itself.

Godfrey has also been outspoken on his podcast (Podcast Ain't Played Nobody) in saying that USC was going to break the cycle of going back to the same ol' names that are always tied to USC (i.e. Del Rio and Fisher). To be honest, even though those retread names are out there and have some reporting behind them, I believe that USC is going to think a little outside the box on this one and make the best hire possible, regardless of USC ties. For one, the names of legitimate candidates with deep USC ties is running a little thin these days, but beyond that, I have to believe that the USC brass knows that this is a crucial hire for the program. Basically overnight, USC has become a relic. To their detriment, they've desperately clung to previous glory days, but not only has that gotten them nowhere, the reality of the situation is that most of the kids they're recruiting right now were in diapers at the height of the Pete Carroll era at USC.

Whether or not it's Franklin, I'm betting on USC reaching outside of their SoCal circle to find their next head coach, because they can't really afford to miss this time around.

#576 jdh008, Nov 22, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2018
  17. Major

Major Member

One outside of the box name: Pete Carroll. Seattle is potentially entering a rebuilding phase and he might be ready to move on there. The USC sanctions are all gone so he could pick up right where he left off.

18. gucci888

Thought about that but wonder if either side would be that interested. Carroll left them high and dry with those sanctions and things have never been the same. As for Carroll, he’d be 68 next season so wonder if he’d want to jump back in.

19. gucci888

It’d be interesting to see what candidates they look at after going with USC retreads for so long. Chris Peterson is someone I’d look at. Knows the conference and is proven. Matt Campbell is another name but think he’s more of a mid-west type guy.

20. gucci888

Bohls isn’t a credible insider IMO but think Tech moving on is an inevitable conclusion. Venables could do better IMO but someone could get a stud OC in Kliff.