1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets need to have eyes on Bradley Beal..

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rockets13champs, Nov 10, 2018.

1. biff17

biff17 Member

None of that is true and if you want to keep Gordan you are going to pay up next year.

2. aroundtheblock2

There's no Gordan on the Rockets champ.

3. Reeko

Reeko Member

What does Gordon have in his offensive repertoire? Between the legs dribble, straight line drives, and jacking up threes. His repertoire is nothing special.

Beal actually has change of pace to his game while Gordon often looks out of control and just goes wildly to the rim. Beal is a better scorer and has more moves.

Beal is a better finisher than Ego too.

Beal from 0-3 ft last 2 seasons as well as this one: 63%, 68%, 73%

Ego: 57%, 67%, 63%...and Ego even has the added benefits of much more spacing and going against bench units

Beal is a very good shooter and a solid defender. Let’s not act like Ego is a level above him in either category. Ego has long stretches where his shooting percentages are utter garbage. Beal is more consistent. I don’t see why it matters what offense Beal has been playing in at all. Beal moves off ball a ton, and does a ton of spot up shooting as well. It’s not like all he wants to do is pound the rock/ISO and when he doesn’t have the ball he just stands around.

Beal is much better than Ego and it’s not even close.

4. Reeko

Reeko Member

Why not? Y’all are acting like Beal must have the ball in his hands to be effective.

only issue I have with Beal is that in an ideal world I would rather have a legit 2-way wing player with size like Butler, but Butler is gone

#164 Reeko, Nov 20, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2018
  5. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

There are really people here that think Beal is only a marginal upgrade on Gordon? (and I like EG).

Gracious.

joshuaao and luckyman76 like this.
  6. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

He doesn't, but Harden will have to play defense against bigger and longer 3's, this will tire him out.

7. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Harden plays against a number of different types of players. Ya know, the switching defense thing.

Get "high ceiling" players to reduce your margin of error in playing GSW. This minutiae about "player X" isn't all enough or what have you. Don't over think. High ceiling players.

8. Reeko

Reeko Member

I edited my earlier reply to include this

only issue I have with Beal is that in an ideal world I would rather have a legit 2-way wing player with size like Butler, but Butler is gone

we’d have to run with Harden or Beal at the 3, but Beal is so talented that even if it’s not ideal, it’s still worth it IMO

Deuce likes this.
  9. saleem

Rekko and Deuce, do you think the Wizards will accept Gordon and Chriss plus a 2nd round pick?

10. basketballholic

Here's the problem with all that. It fixes NOTHING for Washington. They're still armpit deep in the luxury tax AND they've still got the same chemistry/relationship issue with Wall and Porter.

Beal ain't the problem for them. It's the Wall/Porter dynamic, the luxury tax this year, and the repeater luxury tax next year on a team that has zero chance to win AND they've already lost money multiple seasons now. They trade out Beal/Mahinmi for Gordon/Knight, they get worse, they're still in the tax.....And Gordon is an expiring contract decreasing in trade value for them daily come next season.

So any thoughts of getting Beal should really be put aside. Washington would be foolish to trade him. He's their best asset...and their best player....and his deal is a value deal...the only value contract they have.

Washington is trying to move at least one, if not both, of Porter/Wall. And they'd like to get Mahinmi gone in the process and get under the tax line.

And that is our play with both Washington, Miami. The type of trades you need to be examining with Washington and Miami are trades that get them out of the tax this season (or at least a lot closer to the tax line, so they can get under it before the deadline) and also relieves them if some long term money so that they can possibly avoid the tax next year as well (in Washington's case) and/or possibly have some cap space to use next season (Miami's case).

The keys to understanding what trades may be possible is to understand that nobody besides the Kings have cap space to absorb chunks of salary without sending out salary. And the Nuggets are the only team with significant trade exceptions to take on money. But they will most likely not want to take on more than around $7 million in order to stay out of the tax. The Pistons also have a $7 million trade exception but they are right up against the tax line. And the Thunder have a trade exception but they're up to their eyeballs in tax already and are in line to be the first team to pay the repeater tax. They want to shed salary if at all possible, and still be a good to great team and compete for the playoffs/possible championship. They are a team to watch until the deadline. Because if they sink drastically...they could be ready to get out of the tax. And there comes Paul George to the surface folks....or more likely Stephen Adams.

So against this current league-wide salary cap backdrop, if you understand how tight cap space is and the ability to dump money is......The ideal scenario for picking up assets "cheap" is if we're willing to pay more tax this season and possibly yield up a pick or two.

For instance........knight, nene, Chriss for Mahinmi, Oubre, and Jason Smith's expiring deal.....isn't a stretch at all. It cost us salary and tax and we get a nice prospect (oubre) out of the deal.

Also, something like Knight, nene, Melo, Edwards, Chriss for Porter, Oubre, and another player becomes very feasible. No picks. It's a salary dump for the Wizards without them losing the possibility of going to the lottery. And we take on salary and tax and get possible young assets.

These are just examples of real possibilities involving one team (Washington) here. The reality is it's a long time still to the trade deadline...two months and 17 days to be exact (hint). But where trade value is going to be is in controlling cap space, trade exceptions, and being willing to take on salary for assets. That's at a premium.

So I would not be surprised, for instance, if we traded Knight and two future first round picks (20 & 22) right into the Kings cap space and inherited a young player like Mason/Yogi and a nice $14 milion TPE. And then we use that TPE and other contracts to take on salary and assets from a team like the Wizards. That's another possibility that could make sense at some point.

Because of the lack of cap space and the amount of teams either in the luxury tax or close to the tax line and not going over it......The trade value opportunities are in trades that take on salary and bring in young players that are contributors but are facing restricted free agency or have some time left on value contracts. Look for those type of deals. A deal for Porter/Oubre should be able to be made without giving up any picks as long as we can get Washington out of the tax and give them back a youngster or two like Edwards. And if the Wizards want picks back when they're dumping salary...let them find some other chump team that will do that. It only delays the inevitable and makes our assets worth more.

#170 basketballholic, Nov 20, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2018
  11. saleem

High ceiling players are a must, but I still feel Harden could tire out. However, Ennis could make things easier for him. If EG was playing at a high level, my only concern would be an additional 3/4 and a backup PG.

12. BigBum

BigBum Member

It has to be : Gordon/Chriss/nene + 2 picks

Tilman will not approve if 3 picks because of Knight contract.

Other teams could make better offer.

13. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

For Beal? No. You better come with the Jimmy Butler-type package if you want Beal.

Beal has real value around the league. LOTS of teams would be interested.

14. ktbballplaya

ktbballplaya Member

Otto is a better fit even though Beal is a better player.

HP3, Another Brother and coachbadlee like this.
  15. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

After watching the Kings last night against OKC, I see some young talent I'd like on the Rockets, but alas, I don't see that happening.

As far as trading into their cap space, I'd think the Kings'd be more amenable to trading out expiring contracts of players that aren't seeing any burn (Randolph, Rush). Plus a first rounder and maybe the rights to some Eurostash player. Two first rounders? Nah.

Either way (Kings' cap space or expiring contract players), the third party involved (Washington) would be able to cut payroll. Especially if dead weight is thrown in: Melo, MCW, Nene (sorry big fella) when December 15 arrives.

Sacramento could deal directly with Washington but the Kings don't need Beal or Wall, given the young talent they have in place at the 1 and the 2, and why tie up cap space with Porter? But maybe the Kings could use a 3 (Oubre).

basketballholic likes this.
  16. saleem

I think only a healthy Kawhi ( mentally and physically) is worth 3 picks and a good player. Butler is pretty awesome at his best, I admit. If Porter gets bought out, then Morey should go after him. I think the chances of that are remote, unless he starts playing very poorly.

17. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

I can 100% guarantee you Porter will not be bought out.

18. BigBum

BigBum Member

19. saleem

I believe you. I was just hoping he would.

20. Reeko

Reeko Member

they’ll hang up the phone real quick

Beal has more trade value than Butler did

Deuce likes this.