1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Marc Stein] Rockets Pursued Frank Vogel For Assistant Coach Job

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rookie34, Nov 14, 2018.

1. Rookie34

Rookie34 Member

"The Houston Rockets haven't merely been aggressive in trying to shake up their roster.
    Amid their unsuccessful attempts to trade for Butler, I'm told Houston made a run at Frank Vogel, the former Indiana and Orlando coach, to join Mike D'Antoni's staff to help fill the void created by the brief retirement of Jeff Bzdelik, the veteran defensive guru.

But the Rockets ultimately did manage to coax Bzdelik out of retirement after more than a month of trying. Bzdelik announced shortly before training camp that he was leaving the team to spend more time with family."

https://static.nytimes.com/email-content/MSB_7704.html?nlid=60638453

https://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/251642/Rockets-Pursued-Frank-Vogel-For-Assistant-Coach-Job

Koperboy, Deuce, whiskeyred and 4 others like this.
  2. BigShasta

BigShasta Contributing Member

Hot damnnnnn

Conspiracy*
    Appears Rockets did everything possible to keep Melo - considering even offering Vogel a job - but ultimately needed to rid itself of Melo before Jeff would return.

justinh, cheke64, amaru and 2 others like this.
  3. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Vogel is head coach material.

GotGame15 and lionaire like this.
  4. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Surprising. They obviously acknowledge that Mike Dantoni has some deficiencies that can be balanced out with a defensive coordinator.

5. Russjr2

Russjr2 Contributing Member

Yep, and I think Mike is ok with them doing that, especially after the success they had with it last year. After all his years coaching and having good teams but faltering on deep playoff runs, I think he realizes he needs help with defense. As long as the defensive coach doesn't come in trying to run everything and take his job haha

RyanB, Deckard and Stormy1234 like this.
  6. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Vogel would have been expensive.

Maybe Tilman is not in so much trouble.

Deuce likes this.
  7. Nook

Nook Member

Tilman wants to win. The good part of that for the coaches and front office is that he will spend the resources to bring aboard anyone that helps that pursuit. That means spending top money on an assistant like Vogel or a willingness to trade for and sign a player like Jimmy Butler.

The bad side for the coaches and front office....... you better win. Ask the UH Regents about how Tilman was. They loved him because he was passionate and would extend himself personally and financially. However, he expects results.

8. mac_got_this

mac_got_this Member

No need for D’Antoni to be worried about his job security because of whom is on his staff. His rep is solidified. He’s the only coach to have a better textiles season record than the GSW warriors during their run and he had them in the brink of elimination. If he was to somehow someway get let go, he’d have gm’s lining un at his door for his coaching services. He’s not McHale

farhen and Remlap like this.
  9. Nook

Nook Member

D'Antoni has been humbled. He is willing to do things that his ego never would have allowed a decade ago. The version of D'Antoni the Rockets have is better than the one in the past. D'Antoni knows his strengths and limitations and is open to anything that helps the team win.

Let Mike concentrate on the offense and someone else will take care of the other side of the ball.

10. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

Which is absolutely fair.

Stormy1234 and Rudyc281 like this.
  11. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I think that sounds ridiculous without Bzdelik.

This past games showed you what MDA was - a soft coach who let Harden/superstar run things his way more often than not.

Now Bzdelik is back - winning comes back.

#11 daywalker02, Nov 14, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2018
    jboslett and Stormy1234 like this.
  12. CK Johnson

CK Johnson Member

Ol' Joe Gatto lookin' ass.

whathappened likes this.
  13. mac_got_this

mac_got_this Member

If D’Antoni got fired on Sunday, he could get another job on Monday . All great coaches have great assistant coaches. We were just late to the game.

14. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

Vogel would have been an interesting play. I know Tilman and Morey love MDA, but how long does that love extend? If the Rockets were to fail this season at reaching the conference finals, MDA would surely be on the chopping block. Vogel could easily be leveraged as a replacement coach in an MDA firing.

15. HP3

HP3 Member

Hmmm, I guess I was being reactionary when I said some stuff about him being the worst lol. This is pretty fair.

16. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

I think this information about the Rockets being interested in Vogel is significant. I am glad Bzdelik is back. But I am VERY encouraged that Tilman/Morey/MDA were aggressive in trying to figure out the D situation, and were PROACTIVE to find a coach for it. I was not expecting that.

MDA could have easily not wanted to add a NEW voice into the coaching mix. But the team management as a collective knew there was a void to be filled and needed to be filled by someone competent.

Just good to know management's mindset here.

17. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

Yes,

but for a WNBA team.

18. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I've been traveling. Did y'all ever figure out what's going on behind the scenes with Jeff B? Something legitimate? Or purely Melo related? If it is indeed personal/family oriented then I don't desire to know specifics. Just wanted to know if it was a smokescreen.

19. Remlap

Remlap Member

It IS odd in looking at it, how Bzdelik disappeared when Melo came on board
    and then reappeared when Melo was out of the picture

[​IMG]

fattz, jboslett, Sajan and 3 others like this.
  20. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

It seems pretty accurate that it's a family issue. The reports are that Tillmen has been in close contact with Buisdellick the entire time trying to convince him to return. He agreed before all of the drama with Melo blew up but gave a date when he could make it happen.