1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets waiving Carmelo Anthony?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DaBeard, Nov 10, 2018.

1. justtxyank

justtxyank Member

For Carmelo to get the open shots Ariza got he would need to want to play that role. Stand on the perimeter run to the corners etc. Only go to the basket when he has his man beat.

Carmelo is taking more shots this year than Ariza did here but fewer threes.

Why won’t you guys realize he doesn’t want to play that role?

BigMaloe, Easy, psaman17 and 4 others like this.
  2. Fantasma Negro

3. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

Because they believe in the mythical figure known as Olympic Melo.

We all wanted it to work out, but it's obvious that Melo has individual goals that overshadow team goals.

lnchan likes this.
  4. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Some people play better at a tourney than in a league.

5. YOLO

YOLO Member

oh really. how did that work for mcw. terrible post

6. bmelo

bmelo Member

Terrible is your understanding of basketball. How did that work for MCW? Let me tell you:

MCW: 5 ppg in 14 minutes a game 36% fg
    JE3: 6 ppg in 23 minutes a game 39% fg

You really think he wouldnt average 6 points in 9 minutes more? Or maybe you will try to tell me how more efficient JE is? JE shoots the three, MCW attacks from three or creates for himself and the result is the same. Both are **** on NBA level offense and shouldnt be playing in my teams starting five end of story

7. YOLO

YOLO Member

its absolutely embarrassing the rockets have people that follow them like you. people that post and have no clue what they're talking about and dont even realize it. read your post again genius that was replied to. so in almost 100 minutes mcw has played with the rockets this is what he has shot 2-10 from 3. and finally hes glued to the end of the bench where he belongs

dont try to alter your posts bc you got caught being stupid.

8. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Someone correct me if I'm off base here:

Apparently its Melo who wants out because his role is going to be limited going forward - More Gary Clark , Less Melo. (woohoo)

If its Melo who's wanting out and the Rockets are accommodating him , how's he a scapegoat for what's wrong with the team ?!

I don't see anyone blaming Melo for the teams struggles - just that the team is going to play the guy who's shooting 40% from 3 and plays great defense instead of him … and he doesn't like that.

As for who to blame , it starts with Morey as he made the decisions that put them in this predicament …. but he could have been handcuffed by the owner in terms of salary. If that's the case , we're likely to miss Les.

Morey knows he screwed up trying to replace Trevor and Luc with Melo and Ennis …. the question for the team is how to fix it going forward ?!

That $40m per for C3Po err CP3 …. is gonna bite them in the ass. (might have already happened).

After the Butler saga ended , I wonder if that didn't close the door on any hopes of resurrecting the seasons expectations …. Is there another wing out there , available (key word) that moves the needle ?!
    Doesn't appear to be any impact wings available right now but someone could shake loose at the deadline but a trade deadline move could be too little too late as they could be buried in the standings by mid February.

whiskeyred likes this.
  9. J.R.

J.R. Member

http://www.espn.com/nba/insider/story/_/id/25260360/where-does-carmelo-anthony-fit-now-nba

Can Carmelo Anthony still help a contender this season?

If Carmelo Anthony has indeed played his last game for the Houston Rockets, as a report by ESPN's Tim MacMahon on Sunday indicated many of his teammates and coaches believe is the case, what could Anthony bring to another team?

Anthony's representatives spent Monday gathering information from other NBA teams about a possible landing destination for Anthony, according to a report by ESPN's Adrian Wojnarowski. Presumably, with Melo's future in Houston in doubt, teams are going through a similar process of vetting him as a possible midseason addition.

So how much can Anthony still contribute at age 34 after being jettisoned by a pair of teams in the past four months? And where might his skill set fit? Let's take a look.

Offense: Melo's 3-point accuracy needs to come around

The hope Anthony would be more efficient in a smaller role was a key reason for optimism when the Oklahoma City Thunder dealt for him 13 months ago. Instead, Anthony posted a career-worst .503 true shooting percentage during his lone season in Oklahoma City, and it hasn't bounced back much this season in Houston (.513).

The biggest issue there has been Melo's inability to maintain his strong shooting on catch-and-shoot 3-pointers with the New York Knicks. Over his past four seasons in New York, Anthony made 40.6 percent of his catch-and-shoot 3-point attempts, according to Second Spectrum tracking on NBA Advanced Stats, including 42.3 percent in 2016-17. But that dropped to 37.8 percent with the Thunder, and just 31.4 percent so far in 2018-19.

Inevitably, Anthony should be expected to shoot better from downtown than so far this season, which would be his worst overall 3-point shooting since 2009-10. (Second Spectrum tracking dates back to only 2013-14.) However, he'll have to get all the way back to his Knicks performance to be better than league average on catch-and-shoot 3s (37.2 percent over the past two seasons, per Second Spectrum data).

That's crucial because at this stage of his career, Anthony can no longer score with reasonable efficiency on self-created shots. On Melo isolations during his last four seasons in New York, the Knicks averaged 0.99 points per chance, according to Second Spectrum tracking -- better than the league average of 0.92 points per chance on isolation plays. That figure dropped to a league-average 0.92 points per chance in Oklahoma City, and so far this season Houston has averaged 0.73 points per chance on 22 Anthony isolations.

In the right matchup, Anthony can still be an effective one-on-one player. The Rockets averaged 1.07 points per chance on his 24 post-up plays this season, per Second Spectrum data, and a whopping 1.17 points per chance the 12 times Melo posted up a guard. But his ability to take advantage of mismatches should be considered a bonus against switch-heavy defenses rather than a primary part of a healthy offensive diet.

Defense: Reserve role minimizes Melo's weaknesses

After Anthony scoffed at the suggestion he might come off the bench for the Thunder, he made that transition in Houston, playing as a reserve in eight of the season's first 10 games. That's important because playing against opposing starters on a regular basis is probably too much to ask of Anthony defensively at this stage of his career.

As it was, the Rockets allowed 9.6 more points per 100 possessions with Anthony on the court, per Cleaning the Glass' stats. I noted in analyzing where Melo's time in Houston had gone wrong that difference can't really be traced to difficulty in the Rockets' switching defense, but rather the team forcing fewer turnovers, fouling more frequently and surrendering more offensive rebounds with Anthony on the court.

Though Houston defended better with Anthony at small forward than power forward according to Cleaning the Glass' lineup data, that's probably more attributable to playing alongside defensive stalwart P.J. Tucker in bigger lineups. At this point, I think Anthony is best suited to defending power forwards or hiding on 3-and-D players who rarely create their own offense.

Philadelphia a possible fit?

Besides the Rockets, the other landing spots considered possible for Anthony over the summer no longer seem to make much sense. The L.A. Lakers are giving 32 minutes per game to the similar but younger and more efficient Kyle Kuzma, and haven't been able to find time for Michael Beasley, who's arguably a better scorer than Anthony at this point. (Beasley's .556 true shooting percentage helping replace Anthony last season with the Knicks was better than Anthony has posted since 2013-14, the last time he received any MVP votes.)

Meanwhile, the Miami Heat's rotation is already bursting at the seams with capable contributors. Wayne Ellington, Miami's best shooter, was struggling to find minutes before Dwyane Wade left the team for the birth of his daughter and Erik Spoelstra has been juggling backup frontcourt minutes between floor spacer Kelly Olynyk and promising second-year center Bam Adebayo.

That might leave the Philadelphia 76ers as the best possible destination for Anthony. Having traded three players for two in their deal for Jimmy Butler, completed Monday, the Sixers have an open roster spot and need to fill the minutes played by departed Robert Covington and Dario Saric. Philadelphia is also relatively light on shooting and has enough defensive versatility to hide Anthony on non-scorers.

It's worth noting that 76ers coach Brett Brown will already have his hands full integrating Butler midseason, and the challenge of also incorporating Anthony and finding a role that would keep him happy might be too much to ask. But if Anthony is going to help a contender this season, Philadelphia looks like the best bet.

Vivi likes this.
  10. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

The thing is the average NBA's bench is getting better and better. His little advantage diminishes season by season.

11. leroy

leroy Member

I think it was worth the relatively small (financial) risk but it's clearly not going to work. I thought he would make the relatively minor adjustment and be a good spot up shooter to help keep the floor spread. He isn't and he brings nothing else to the table that helps this team. I think they're better off moving forward without him and with Chris and James leading the team. I think things will get settled down quickly once Melo is officially gone and they'll get back to being the team we know they are. Clark and Ellis can fill the holes left by the guys who are gone from last season. Give them a little more time to get acclimated.

I'm not going to blame anyone. it just didn't work and I'm glad they're not waiting to make the change and move on.

Corrosion and Kruze10 like this.
  12. mockster

mockster Member

Rumors rumors rumors

13. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

Actually quite the opposite as you thought,

to mention he is a white rookie, I am actually defending the guy on his rebounding and lob issues because it is a fact that normally black athlete is better on jumping than most of the white athlete. Its not really his fault whose not very good on these area, this is on the team who drafted him if you will expect him to be in the same role of Capela.

14. conquistador#11

bonzi wells was once a rocket.

daywalker02 likes this.
  15. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I'll stop at Derek Fisher.

16. htownballa1622

So what's the deal?

Is Melo getting waived or not? I'd prefer him to stay and be that bench 4 we could use.

17. ipaman

ipaman Member

Could have been Vince Carter but instead gonna be Dwert Howard.

18. RocketsFan247

RocketsFan247 Member

I'm not sure where the "scapegoat" label is originating from. Wade made a reference to it, and so therefore it's true? If anything, it seems like the opposite that we want to keep him and stick it out. It's him and his reps who don't want Melo taking a lesser role. If I'm not mistaken, if we wanted to, we could just not waive him and force him to stick it out (obviously that wouldn't open up a roster spot, but still). This scapegoat narrative sounds like a hit on the organization as a whole. For being a weekend storyline, I'm surprised they haven't really unpacked the reason for all this, that Melo isn't taking less minutes.

I thought Melo was doing okay and that his terrible +/- on/off court number is largely due to the inconsistent roster game-to-game. It's an overreaction on our part given our record, which I don't fault the team for. On the other side, the overreaction on Melo's part may be what's creating the narrative that he's being scapegoated if that's truly how he feels. I can see why he may feel like this given the circumstances regarding Clark's emergence.

I'm in the camp that if he stays and takes on a lesser role at the moment, we'll benefit in the long run. It would be lame for him to request to be waived because whatever team takes the risk on him will receive him just the same: with reluctance. Tangent: Is it even possible for a player to be waived more than once in the same season?

Easy and noppeper like this.
  19. MeloMan15

MeloMan15 Member

I dont understand what is taking so long if you don't want him on the team then just waive him. This sitting around waiting is stupid.

20. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Because they want him on the team. It's Melo that needs convincing to stay.

justtxyank likes this.