1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sources: Rockets have eyes on Jimmy B

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by cyberx, Sep 18, 2018.

1. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I think you meant to say meanwhile Derrick Rose is turning back the clock.

2. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I think you've taken this to an unnecessary extreme.

As an example, while there are certainly impacts from "how hard" someone plays during a game, CP3 playing 37 minutes is CP3 playing 37 minutes. He's playing more mpg this year already. And I'm not doctor, but if you ask me, the issue last year wasn't the rest/lack of rest during the season... since his mini-injuries had him out plenty. The issue was what happened in the playoffs, when his mpg average crept up to the mid 30's (34.5 mpg), but even higher than that the last 7 games (1 over 40, 2 over 38, 4 over 37 and 5 of the 7 over 35 mpg). That's just going to be how it is. If you make it the WCF, and you're paying CP3 $40 million a year... don't you have to play him 35 mpg against the Warriors?

That specific item aside... the health is obviously the big thing. Harden's been out. CP3 was suspended. Ennis... who I still don't see adding much value but who knows, is out.

So who knows what happens when healthy.

And there HAVE been teams that started bad to finish great. More in the eastern conference. Or in weaker western conferences. MAvs started 0-4 in 06/07. Suns started 1-5 same year. Both finished with 60+ wins. Mavs were blown out 3 times, too. The Heat a few years ago started 0-7 and ended up making it to the second round of the playoffs (finished 42-40).

All that said, you'd have to have your head in the sand to not be very concerned about this squad. Melo looks horrible and is a net negative in so many ways but too big a personality and cultural impact on the team to have a clear answer there. CP3 is getting $40 million despite being much older. They lost their defensive mastermind and didn't replace him. Among other problems.

And not to be lost in my prior examples, the Mavs did win 67 games after starting 0-4. And subsequently had perhaps the most surprising playoff exit in basketball history. The Suns did win 61 games after starting 1-5, but lost in the second round. Anything short of a championship is a failure. Anything short of the WCF is a disaster. And the Western Conference is stacked.

Oh, edit to add: nobody should be looking at power rankings for anything. the power rankings thread that pop up on here are so dumb. power rankings are a vestige of the internet of 20 years ago, where companies were just trying to find ways to create content.

#8122 JayZ750, Nov 1, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2018
    Corrosion, Easy, hakeem94 and 3 others like this.
  3. HOUSTON2017

HOUSTON2017 Member

so is there traction on the gordon deals? 3 first rounds + gordon?

4. Nook

Nook Member

The Rockets have discussed different deals with the Wolves and are still trying to put together possible deals involving more than two teams. Eric Gordon has been discussed. As far as I know the Wolves have showed no strong preference for a particular deal.

5. rocket43

rocket43 Member

Yes D-Rose played great but look at the team after the win. They are having fun and seem to like each other (with the exception of Jimmy).

6. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

We need another star to pair with harden and Paul period.

Cp3 will be better served as the 3rd star with his age and health.

Another thing is we need a true back up pg who can hit 3s and penetrate looking at jj barea and Tyus Jones.

And CC is coming along fine but he really needs to turn the corner FAST. Once Clint gets going things will open up for the rest of the offense. But I’m getting really tired of seeing Clint guarding a guard at the top of the key and leaving the paint wide open for other teams.

hakeem94 likes this.
  7. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

THIS. Butler can't "half ass" this. He needs to hold Taylor's feet to the fire. If Butler really wants out. He has to do "his part" to force things to help out Morey. Otherwise, Thibs will just ride this out saying "we are holding out for the best package"......a package that no one will meet.

Butler needs to confront Taylor TODAY, Nov 1, to get this done.

8. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Great stuff @Codman. Those minuscule whispers...all of that is very believable in my mind. Makes a lot of sense.

As always, appreciate the knowledge. When there are troubled waters, like the Rockets current skid, it is always nice to get some 411 on the inside thought processes.

slothy420, RyanB, jch1911 and 3 others like this.
  9. HOUSTON2017

HOUSTON2017 Member

well at least Morey is being aggressive.. Hope he can build a deal they will accept..

bilaal14, DonKnock and Stormy1234 like this.
  10. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

If Thibs is committed to dealing Jimmy eastward, well, if I may borrow lines from The Godfather Part II:

Morey: Now, the asking price for Jimmy Butler is a veteran starter and two firsts. Why would I ever pay more than that?

Thibs: Because I intend to squeeze you. I don't like your kind of people, with your flops and your million free throws. I'll do business with you but the truth is I despise your masquerade....

In any case, I'm still thinking it more likely we acquire (an)other player(s) in a 3-team deal, but maybe we'll be pleasantly surprised.

11. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

I watched the Wolves game last night. It was pretty special, tbh. The TEAM (sans Butler, Jones, Teague) really rallied behind Rose. It was quite the bonding session.

Aside from my Rockets interests, NOW might be a good time for the Wolves to cut bait on Butler. The team last night might have become "galvanized." Why introduce more "chaos" into that? (with brining Butler back around that group). Chemistry is fickle. Let this team be headed by Rose/Towns/Wiggins and move on.

Wolves have a door open right now to pivot. They should take this opportunity, now.

12. mrstriker316

mrstriker316 Member

But they wont lol thibs...

13. DonKnock

DonKnock Member

14. rockets13champs

hakeem94 and Rudyc281 like this.
  15. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

If you are taking a macro view.

16. bawanyh

bawanyh Member

Not only news give us news that we wanna hear..lol

hakeem94 likes this.
  17. rockets13champs

Rudyc281 and ickaruto like this.
  18. asianballa23

asianballa23 Member

face it, MN will NOT trade Butler to Houston, not for bunch of garbage we're offering. Even if Butler's playing hard ball, MN will not settle for our crappy trade chips.

19. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Well said! Time for Minnie to move.

20. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

This is still somewhat confusing. JR Smith and Kyle Korver somehow move the needle for someone?

Hey Minny, you move Butler, but you get JR Smith!!! I guess he has an interesting partially guaranteed deal next year that might make him a somewhat attractive trade asset in the offseason, but I just don't see how it's that useful in anything involving Minnesota.

I'm not saying Minny should hold on to Butler and then let him walk, but I'd absolutely tell him "look, we'll trade you, but it won't be until trade deadline week. Help us get there until then".

As opposed to anything involving JR Smith and/or Kyle Korver...

Vivi likes this.