1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Fuller Knee Injury

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by ItsMyFault, Oct 25, 2018.

1. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

Janoris is the only one I’d want on this list.

2. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

Why are people so sure the Texans aren't winning a Super Bowl? They have a clear path to 10-11 wins now. Their QB will play once in the next 20-some-odd days, giving him ample time to finally - hopefully - get fully healthy. Look around the AFC - who's clearly better? Kansas City & New England - and the Chiefs' coach has a looooooong history of postseason failure.

If Watson continues to get better/healthier, they will be a legitimate threat in the postseason.

3. Nimo

Nimo Member

Watson also lost his biggest home run target. I think the biggest thing that will change peoples minds is a win vs a quality playoff opponent. Washington after the bye is the closest. The book on the Texans right now is to stop the run and Washington looks good in that category. Right now in the AFC, the Texans are in the same grouping as Cincinnati and Baltimore; below NE, KC, Pittsburg, and the Chargers. Those four teams still have better offenses than the Texans.

4. J.R.

J.R. Member

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.c...gurley-fmia-nfl-week-8-peter-king/?cid=fmiatw

• Denver could well be a seller—and wants to be, after falling to 3-5 on Sunday in Kansas City. Chief targets: wideout Demaryius Thomas, who turned 31 Thursday, could probably be had for a third-round pick, and defensive end Shane Ray and linebacker Brandon Marshall could move too. Less likely: cornerback Bradley Roby.

• The Rams, speaking of “baseball trades,” want a pass-rusher. I hear defensive coordinator Wade Phillips is lukewarm on Denver’s Ray (having coached him two years ago), and if the Jags make disappointing high first-round pick Dante Fowler Jr., available, the Rams would have interest. L.A. is unlikely to deal swing guard Jamon Brown for a late-round pick, though there’s been interest. He’s a low-cost insurance guy for the line.

• Oakland, which owns first-round picks from Dallas and Chicago as well as its own, could have three picks in the top 20 (let me guess: 3, 15, 18) and might not be done dealing. I would not be surprised to see pass-rusher Bruce Irvin moved, and the organization has soured on 2017 first-rounder Gareon Conley, the disappointing cornerback.

• The Giants could deal cornerback Janoris Jenkins, who still has some value despite inconsistent play and being owed $3.5 million for the rest of this year with an $11.15-million-salary-plus-roster-bonus deal next year, per Over The Cap. They’d like to keep their young offensive core together. Eli Manning? It makes too much sense to deal him to Jacksonville for a pittance in the wake of another poor performance by Blake Bortles on Sunday in London, but there’s no indication Manning would waive his no-trade clause.

• The Colts, showing life the last two games, would like to add a receiver. But I don’t believe they will do anything to affect their draft status next April; picks are too important to GM Chris Ballard.

• San Francisco: Multiple reports say wide receiver Pierre Garcon could be dealt. It makes sense because the Niners will be all in on the 2019 draft and season. That is when Jimmy Garoppolo will be a factor again and this organization is all about building around their franchise quarterback, knee surgery and all.

5. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

Must be the bubble practice field then, because it seems like our WR have a real problem with hamstrings.

6. Hey Now!

Like, on the road in Jacksonville?....

I would not put them below the Steelers or Chargers. And I think they're definitely better than Cincinnati and Baltimore.

Deshaun Watson is the gamechanger. There's always a concern that a great college QB won't translate to the NFL. I think we can bury that concern with Watson; he is going to be a very good NFL QB. And if I'm right, then all those intangibles we saw on full display for two years at Clemson come roaring to the life. Big performances in big games against elite competition... I don't think he'll be overwhelmed by the postseason.

If this were patchwork 2014 Texans, with journeymanwhoever at QB, I wouldn't be as optimistic. But with Watson.......

7. J.R.

J.R. Member

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/sp...GM-a-busy-man-as-Tuesday-s-trade-13343544.php

Injuries at receiver, inside linebacker and cornerback have created needs at those positions. The Texans prefer to elevate players on their roster, but they’ll also look around the league.

According to reports, DeSean Jackson (Tampa Bay), Demaryius Thomas (Denver), DeVante Parker (Miami), Mohamed Sanu (Atlanta), Pierre Garcon (San Francisco) and Golden Tate (Detroit) are among the receivers who could be available.

Don’t expect Gaine to mortgage the future for a receiver someone is willing to part with, but he and O’Brien do want to upgrade the roster if the price is right.

As O’Brien pointed out Friday, they’ll look internally and externally to try to replace injured players and improve the team.

That means considering trade options and seeing who’s available to sign off the street. The Texans also will look at promoting players from their practice squad.

“That’s one of the main jobs of, obviously, Brian, and then he brings things to me, and we communicate,” O’Brien said. “We explore everything, including our team.

“We look at our own team first in addition to looking at what’s going on outside. How can we use this guy in maybe another position? Or do this? Can we do that? We’ve got a lot of good players in that locker room. (With) Brian and his crew, we’re always trying to do what we think is best for the team.”

Whether Gaine can make a deal depends on what he’s willing to trade. The Texans have their draft choices and an extra pick in the second round because of last year’s trade with Seattle for offensive tackle Duane Brown.

There are a lot of factors that go into making deals, including how much money the player makes, how he fits under the salary cap, and how much he has remaining on his current contract.

Teams know the Texans need a replacement for Fuller, and they’ll try to fleece Gaine if they can. Outside of DeAndre Hopkins, their other wide receivers who are healthy — veteran Sammie Coates Jr. and undrafted rookie Vyncint Smith — have combined for two catches.

Keke Coutee is out with another hamstring injury. Bruce Ellington is on injured reserve with a hamstring injury.

It’s not just receiver that’s suffering. Injuries have created problems at other positions, too.

Cornerback Johnathan Joseph suffered ankle and knee injuries against Miami and will miss the Denver game. Because the Texans have their open date after the Broncos, he might be able to return for the Washington game on Nov. 18.

Joseph is the fifth cornerback the Texans lost in the first eight games. He followed Kevin Johnson, Aaron Colvin, Kayvon Webster and Shareece Wright to the sideline.

At least the Texans have safeties who can play cornerback, such as Kareem Jackson and Natrell Jamerson. Against the Dolphins, they were playing five safeties in nickel situations once Joseph went down.

Inside linebacker is another serious problem. Zach Cunningham, the Texans’ leading tackler, is out with a knee injury that will sideline him for the Denver game at the least. Dylan Cole and Brian Peters were already injured.

After Cunningham left the Miami game, Benardrick McKinney was joined by Josh Keyes, who was part of the last roster reduction to 53 before the first game of the season. He was signed last week and had to get ready for a Thursday night game and contributed two big plays in what was a remarkable performance.

The versatility of the defensive players — not to mention a terrific job by the coaches — is one reason the Texans have continued to win despite injury issues.

It’s going to be interesting to see what happens to the roster as the Texans get closer to the trade deadline.

8. Nimo

Nimo Member

Jacksonville is not looking like a quality playoff opponent. They are obviously having issues and are a couple more losses from imploding.

There probably isnt a big believer in Deshaun Watson than me on here. He has been my QB for a while. You might be preaching to the choir master lol. But we also know that his exceptional play doesnt always lead to wins. His best stretch of play yielded a 3-4 record last year. Plus Philip Rivers is still very good and experienced. They dont have impressive wins but their only losses are against the chiefs and the Rams. The Texans lost to Blaine Gabbert and Eli Manning. Time will tell. Like I said a 7-3 record beating division leaders in Washington will tell you how ready this team is.

9. Nimo

Nimo Member

I have been out of town. I missed the news about Zach Cunningham. Man, bummer!

Red.Glare likes this.
  10. jev5555

jev5555 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Is Joe Staley available?

11. Hey Now!

Flukes, both of them. If they played right now, the Texans would beat both handily.

More and more, I think the [ETA: primary] culprit early was Watson's rust/health.

#171 Hey Now!, Oct 29, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2018
    Blatz and Fulgore like this.
  12. seank1986

seank1986 Member

13. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

O'Brien didn't get his team prepared to start the season. Also the offensive line was in shambles and didn't pick up until the JAX game anyway.

Lastly, the only reason they lost the Titans game was due to a ridiculous fake punt that O'Brien wasn't prepared for.

csj likes this.
  14. Nimo

Nimo Member

It's a show-me league not a what-if league. And even if they did those aren't quality opponents. This is all power ranking conversation anyway. No one cares about where a team is in week 9. By seasons end we will know if they can beat Washington and the Eagles. Every other team they play is mediocre to bad.

15. asianballa23

asianballa23 Member

meaning he bombed the workout?

RasaqBoi likes this.
  16. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

17. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

18. J.R.

J.R. Member

NFL Network's Tom Pelissero reports the Lions' asking price would be "at least" a fourth-round pick in exchange for Golden Tate. Ian Rapoport added that "a few teams" have inquired about Tate. In his age-30 season, this is also Tate's contract year, and it sounds like the Lions are leaking this information to drum up trade interest with no intentions of keeping Tate in Detroit long term. If Tate were to be dealt, the Lions could turn to T.J. Jones at slot receiver between Kenny Golladay and Marvin Jones.

RasaqBoi likes this.
  19. Whenitsover

Whenitsover Member

When the beat writer is posting about Vyncent Smiths expanded role the day before trade deadline, you should know nothing is coming.

Marteen, RasaqBoi and red5rocket like this.
  20. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

I have seen enough Rocket related stories of Morey not star hunting and then BOOM to know its all part of the game.

Gaine probably has 4 deals set up and waiting for someone to take his offer.