1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

Fire Bill O'Brien

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by DonnyMost, Sep 23, 2016.

?

Should we fire Bill O'Brien?

1. Yes

76.0%
  2. No

15.9%
  3. Abstain (for the moment)

8.2%
  1. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Man...I never thought it was so controversial to suggest removing a QB who suffered a big injury last year and is currently recovering from chest and lung injuries from a game in which they led by 19 with less than 5 minutes left. What was I thinking.

2. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

This is the type of thing O'Brien doesn't think about. He uses Watt on offense just adding wear and tear because he thinks it makes him look like a genius. He plays Arian Foster on a wet field in a blowout because he wants to make it a respectable looking loss.

Kim likes this.
  3. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

You literally are saying that when the offense is good it’s because of Watson, and when it’s bad it’s because of BOB.

mario_v and No Worries like this.
  4. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

Credit goes to the coach for finally having his team ready to play some football.

Creds to Obrien for this team cleaning up those penalties.

5. david_rocket

david_rocket Member

First great game for B'OB of the season, one game doesnt get you out of the woods yet, but it was a nice win, did better in playcalling especially inside the 15 yard line.

Kendrick Lamar likes this.
  6. Mr. Clutch

The offense is good when O'Brien scraps his new England offense

Kendrick Lamar likes this.
  7. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

The RPO has not been good this season. Probably because Watson may not have been fully healthy.

The offense they ran against Miami was closer to a New England like game-plan... which really consists of intermediate routes, power running, utilizing the TE in the red area, and hitting the deep ball.

8. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

Da one lone td to a tight end doesnt seem like a play BoB called up, more like Watson improvised and somehow got the ball to anyone open.

9. mario_v

mario_v Member

No offense but you dont know what you're talking about. The reason the offense is good now is because they're able to run the ball effectively, which is funny because most people here are always complaining that the offense is too "conservative" when they run the ball.

No Worries likes this.
  10. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

There's improvisation every week from all team's QB's... I'm glad we have one who can do it as good as anybody.

I just hate the hot take experts in here who say the same things every week, without fail, and don't actually use any sort of logical reasoning or analysis.

When they get called out for their bullshit, they get awfully quiet. Namely, everything that goes wrong with the offense is not BOB's fault... otherwise, you have to give him all the credit when everything goes right as well.

11. Mr. Clutch

Sorry, but it seems you haven't been watching the past 5 years. The New England spread EP offense has never worked with O'Brien. Last year he scrapped it for Watson, adding more play-action and misdirection (not just RPO) and the offense was great. This year he went back to the spread EP with a little RPO and it sucked unsurprisngly. Lately they've actually gone to a zone-blocking scheme which works better for Miller. Only took him 8 games to figure this out.

12. Mr. Clutch

I'm not talking about RPO, O'Brien added misdirection and play-action last year that he hasn't used this year for some reason (until the last game).

Also, the reason Miller is running better is because they are switching to more zone-blocking, not the usual power-blocking scheme from New England. Only took him 3 years to figure out Miller isn't a power back.

13. Mr. Clutch

14. Mr. Clutch

The offense has been bottom 10 every year under O'Brien, including this year so far.

So whose fault is it then?

15. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Hence my point that you just regurgitate the same take week after week.

The offense has been better in the Watson era. Not hard to see that. And during that era, if you want to blame BOB for all the bad, you're going to end up painting yourself in a corner when they're actually good.

16. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

You were the one spouting that he merely copied the Clemson offense to let Watson's greatness shine. Now his greatness is shining without the Clemson offense.

They're also not zone blocking every down... especially not the last game. Miller still running between the tackles, there's just a few more holes now.

I'll take improvement and give credit to the entire team and coaching staff each week I see it.

No Worries likes this.
  17. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

I think this is exclusively a fan's perspective. BOB has to manage the locker room and players *hate* being removed from games. It's national TV; they know everyone is watching - Watson wants to be on the field when the gun sounds. That's a big factor here. And while, yes - it's risky, everybody wants/needs the reps, especially when you consider they're off three extra days.

I would never say you're wrong - I would agree with you, in fact. But we're not managing the players and I think that's a driving force here.

18. Mr. Clutch

The offense was ranked 26th before last game.

19. Mr. Clutch

His greatness is shining in game #8 after not shining in the first 7 games. And to clear, Watson has been fine but Obriens calls on the OL and playcalling have been mostly terrible.

But credit O'Brien for finally having a good game.

It seems like you haven't been watching and just came in here now.

20. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member