1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Offical] Astros vs. Red Sox ALCS

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Oct 10, 2018.

1. Hustle Town

Hustle Town Contributing Member

I'll be honest, I'm a little concerned that Morton will have some rust - he hasn't pitched much lately. He's also resilient, so my concerns are probably misplaced.

HTown2017Champs likes this.
  2. Nippystix

Nippystix Member

We got this; let's tie this bad boy up today, and then make it two in a row tomorrow night. I was hoping for 2 out of 3 at home, and that is still in play.

3. Rox225

Rox225 Contributing Member

We need some serious Pina Power tonight. He is the key IMO. If he can make Sox pay for not pitching to Bregs then we'll be in good shape.

4. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

I wouldn't wait for that to happen. I'd move Bregman up to the 2 hole and let Altuve bat behind him. Bregman might actually see a pitch to hit that way.

DudeWah, jim1961 and HTown2017Champs like this.
  5. ApolloRLB

ApolloRLB Member

Morton is significantly better with more rest. 1.85 ERA this year's with 6+ days of rest. 2.65 last year.

6. Snow Villiers

Snow Villiers Member

@Tomstro

7. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

I'll defend Hinch using Osuna in that situation 7 days a week; it was the right call. He was facing Boston's 3-4-5 hitters: set the heart of their order down, keep it a one-run game and then turn it over to your 4-5-6 hitters in the 8th.

Keuchel did not pitch well. He settled down and turned in a workman-like performance - but it was not reminiscent of Keuchel at his best - too many long, loud outs and no ground balls when he needed them. I tweeted it at the time, I think he was a ticking time bomb and had no issue with Hinch pulling him when he did.

Where I think Hinch can be rightly criticized... on the back of a day off, there's no excuse for McHugh, McCullers, Pressly and Osuna being not only your first bullpen options: your only bullpen options. He was trying to sneak Smith in and buy his pen an inning - but you can't do that in the postseason.

Elienator, BigMaloe, MadMax and 2 others like this.
  8. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

I can agree with this. McHugh would've been a much better option at that point than Smith/Sipp. Betting you don't see that same mistake today.

9. Hey Now!

There's a smidge of hindsight here, as I didn't think Keuchel pitched well - but Morton then Keuchel might've been a better plan for games 3 & 4. As is, Morton gets 1 start and Keuchel is your likely game 7 starter in Fenway. Yikes. I know that'll be a short-leash, all-hands-on-deck game. But. ewwwww....

10. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

Move his ass back one spot. Move up Correa over Reddick.

11. Hey Now!

They *have* to win today, so - yeah.

My concern is that Osuna is almost certainly burned for today (maybe that's a good thing?) so a) they need 6-7 strong innings from Morton; b) maybe James is in the mix, possibly Sipp to a single batter - but he may have to get 12 outs with just McHugh, McCullers and Pressly. And he has another game tomorrow.

Hustle Town likes this.
  12. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

Thanks buddy

13. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I feel like the Astros can get 2 wins with Verlander and Cole on the mound, so I'll be confident if they can pick up a win today.....but the bats really have to come alive, the Astros can't merely coast on what Bregman can do. We need some other players to step up.

14. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

I'm all for supporting my team but this isn't looking so good and tonight is a must-win. I don't know the last time I saw Morton pitch but to expect him to come in and pitch a shutout would be a bit much. I'm hoping he can limit the damage. But, really, the Astros offense is what concerns me. They just haven't looked good the last few games. This is not the time for them to be slumping and pressing. They need to come back and bring the swagger. We all know advancing takes a bit of luck and some timely hitting. Maybe some of us thought we were going to steam roll over Boston but the reality appears to be quite a bit different so far. Turn it around tonight. If the team can't come out tonight and perform, then something is wrong.

DudeWah likes this.
  15. el_locoteee

el_locoteee Member

And they been, Alex has been pitch the entire playoff and still Houston was putting 7runs per 9inings vs the best pitchers in baseball, before yesterday.

16. SemisolidSnake

Yeah, this. Yuli left 5 on base last night, more than any other batter. His swing or mentality or whatever it is at the plate is shot. Marwin is a threat that will make them think twice about walking Bregman.

Correa is at least making some progress. Reddick is either hot or cold but always completely unpredictable.

I almost wish we could go Bregman-Altuve-Marwin-Springer. Or Springer-Marwin. Bregman's been getting on base more than anyone by whatever means (as usual). We need people to drive him in.

17. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

Hey, this is the postseason. Any concerns are not misplaced in my opinion.

18. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

Tonight is must win. Charlie better bring it. Hitters better hit.

Let yesterday be a one time disaster. Let it be a motivator.

19. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

I thought of that, but Keuchel made more sense for two reasons. One, you knew what you were getting with Keuchel even if it was mediocre Keuchel(the bad first inning followed by 4 solid innings). With Morton, we're not really sure coming off the injury. Two, you pretty much knew what you were getting with Eovaldi. Sure you could hope he'd flame out, but he pitched well at Yankee Stadium in the ALDS. So you go with the safer bet.

In Game 4, Morton is still an unnkown. But so is Porcello. He's a very good pitcher, but he coming off 2 days rest after a relief appearance. So it's a little easier to roll the dice in this game vs Game 4.

And in retrospect, Hinch made the right call with Keuchel in Game 3. He wasn't good, but he did enough for the Astros to win the game. It was 2-2 after 5 innings. The mistakes were going with Smith in relief of Keuchel and not changing the batting order.

20. Stros66

Stros66 Member

That’s because Alex has a better eye. He’s not swinging at junk. We need more players like him.

HTown2017Champs likes this.