1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Which Pitchers Should be on the Astros’ Playoff Roster?

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by No Worries, Sep 5, 2018.

1. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

Harris has been dominant over the last 28 days.

6.1 IP
    3 H
    0 XBH
    1 BB
    0.00 ERA
    .310 OPS

Compared to Rondon

7.2 IP
    17 H
    5 XBH
    2 BB
    11.05 ERA
    1.190 OPS

arkoe, marks0223 and HTown2017Champs like this.
  2. HTown2017Champs

I also very vividly remember Feliz (in full uniform) laughing with Gurriel by his side during Game 3 of the WS, right after he hit the home run off of Darvish.

3. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard
    Supporting Member

Remember the games earlier in September where we pinch ran for Maldonado or White with Marisnick then couldn't plug him into the outfield?

He is a recent all-star...

4. Buck Turgidson

I believe that happened twice (once in the 7th and once in the 8th), and Jake stayed in as the DH both times.

eta: it affected the Boston game where Marwin decided for whatever reason not to dive for that shallow FB, but Jake could have conceivably still been put in the OF, the Stros had Kemp and Gattis (emergency catcher) to PH for the pitcher. It had no effect on the Arizona loss.

#224 Buck Turgidson, Oct 4, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2018
  5. Mr.Pringles

Mr.Pringles Member

I like the 25 selected.

Straw is the best on the bases, is great as a defensive player and holds his own if he gets an AB..allows Hinch to save Kemp for a PH spot or Marisnick as a defensive sub

Harris, James are pitching too well for Rondon, Devo, Peacock, Smith too take those spots.

arkoe likes this.
  6. SuraGotMadHops

As Avery Johnson once famously said, "you can't play everybawdy in the playawfs."

7. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

I probably would've rolled with Smith. Yeah, he's sucked in 2 of his last 3 appearances, but he pitched well for over 2 months prior and his postseason numbers are video gamey -- 0.00 ERA / 0.40 WHIP

I don't feel too strongly either way though. Astros have 5+ other relief options -- some who can pitch multiple innings -- before Harris will see the field.

BigM likes this.
  8. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

I believe Smith will be on the roster in the ALCS. He doesn't match up well against the Indians with all of the lefties and switch hitters.

HTown2017Champs likes this.
  9. Houstunna

Supporting Member

Yeah, 790 mentioned this earlier, but he allowed .647 OPS vs LH and .644 vs RH this season.

Maybe he doesn't matchup well vs CLE specifically.

10. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

I personally hope if we make th ALCS that they add Peacock.

He’s done it before and has a crazy K rate still.

Smith and Rondon are busts this year. They had their moments but I don’t trust either of them.

arkoe likes this.
  11. HTown2017Champs

This, especially if it's against the Yankees. as he was acquired specifically to face Judge, Stanton, and Sanchez (and now, probably Voit, too). If we make the ALCS I bet one bat (probably Gattis) is removed to add another pitcher, either Smith or Peacock.

arkoe likes this.
  12. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

Off topic, but is eta really an abbreviation for edit? I always think estimated time of arrival when I see that. It’s not like edit is a long word either. Explain yourself!

DudeWah likes this.
  13. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

Edit to add. As in nothing in the original post changed he just added some ****

Harrisment likes this.
  14. Houstunna

Supporting Member

Completely different leverage situations

I don't feel strongly either way though.

15. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

Ahhh. That makes sense, thanks.

16. CisBuds4U

CisBuds4U Member

Pretty risky move to put James in there over proven vets like Rondon, Smith and Peacock. Yeah, those guys had some ups and downs but they are quality relievers who have playoff experience and understand the nuances and pressures of the game. A kid like James could crumble under the spotlight and pressure. Pretty heavy burden to put on him. Not to mention, he's been up barely a month and while he had a good month, this choice feels a lot like "what have you done for me lately" vs taking into account the body of work. I'm not saying he can't succeed, I'm just surprised by the decision. Hope he does great!

17. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Relief pitchers can crumble in postseason whether veteran or rookie. The best ones, whether veteran or rookie, typically have the most success especially those with the best stuff. James, specifically, is there for starter insurance. Astros don't want to depend on Rondon, Smith, or Peacock (without being stretched out) for 4-5 innings if need be.

Edit: In an ideal world, Pressly, McCullers, and McHugh handle most of the workload and the 7th pitcher is meaningless.

#237 Joe Joe, Oct 5, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2018
    CisBuds4U likes this.
  18. jim1961

jim1961 Member

The body of information available to Hinch is exponentially greater than what us fans know. I think James's stuff is just better right now. Still, I agree about the risk.

CisBuds4U likes this.
  19. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

I'd think Peacock is almost assuredly the next guy up. Question is who is after that if they're going with 13. Smith or Rondon. Me...I go with Rondon but I understand the case for not.

20. DaChamp

DaChamp Member

I like the roster, but would have added another pitcher. I would have left Gattis or Straw off and added Peacock. The odds of Gattis catching are close to nil, so don't see his need as a backup catcher. And I don't see him taking at bats from White or Yuli, who I suspect will man first base and DH.

As far as Straw goes, we already have Marisnick as a pinch runner and defensive option. I would have added an additional pitcher over two guys to fill that role. Particularly in light of the fact that Keuchel has been lobbing meatballs for the past month, and no one really knows if Morton or McCullers are truly healthy. So yeah, I think it is a mistake not to add another pitcher.