1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Texans Road Map to Success

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Htown Legend, Sep 25, 2018.

1. Htown Legend

Htown Legend Member

First off, it’s obvious Bill O’brien Is not the guy for the job. I have been a Bill O brien advocate in the past....defended him in several arguments but with the talent on this team there is no excuse for being 0-3. Tennessee and NYG were winnable games and we were out coached and unprepared.

The McNair family has invested a significant amount of money in B.O.B and the best case scenario for us would be to have a horrible season. At 0-3 our chances to make the playoffs are slim to none(especially if the play calling remains stale and predictable, o-line issues, etc.) The only way I see a coaching change would be a 4-12 season or worse, then the McNair’s hand would basically be forced to make a coaching change(I hope!)

Let’s take a look at potential replacements for a head coach. ( no particular order just options)
    1. Jim Harbaugh-he hasn’t had the success he wanted at Michigan. I believe he would have taken the right job in the nfl if offered. Look at how creative he was with Colin Kaepernick and led some really good, disciplined, hard nosed 49ers teams to a couple nfc championship games and a play away from winning the super bowl. I’m intrigued by harbaugh and what he could do for Watson and designing a playbook to help Deshaun and this offense fit to his skill set.
    2. Bruce Arians- yes, he has had health issues....but this guy is an offensive genius. He was the o.c in Indy early in luck’s career which led to much of his early success. Also, head coach for the cardinals with a very dynamic offense. With Carson palmer, Fitzgerald and John brown he was able to get very creative, unpredictable play caller with BIG NUTS. No conservative b.s. could unlock Our full offensive potential.
    3. Dabo Swinney- this one is a bit risky. For one, it would take a lot of money to get him away from Clemson. Not proven at the nfl level. However, this guy loves Deshaun and his players and gets the most out of his guys. Well respected and I’m confident he would bring in the right assistants to get the job done. Right coordinators, etc.
    4.josh McDaniels- I don’t want another Belichick assistant.
    5.David Shaw- Stanford coach who has long been rumored in NFL coaching searches. Pro style offense with some nfl coaching experience. Highly regarded and will be in the nfl eventually.

This offseason, maybe even now, we should shop Clowney. He does not warrant an Aaron Donald, Khalil Mack type payday. I think we should see if we can get some draft compensation. We will have some good picks. We must stockpile talent along the o-line and secondary.

If we end up with a top 5 first round pick, we should trade back and acquire a couple MORE picks. Julie’n Davenport won’t cut it at either tackle spot. Rankin is still in question, but hasn’t struggled as much as Davenport considering the time he missed in camp. Joseph is old, Kareem Jackson can’t cover, and we should have take Marcus peters instead of Kevin Johnson but that’s neither here nor there.

I also believe we need to sign honey badger to an extension ASAP. This guy is a hard hitting ballhawk. He can help mentor the young guys we will bring in and along with a new coach really help transition this team to a solid football team.I also think Justin REID looks promising as well. It starts at the top and change is necessary. What do you guys think?

rusHour likes this.
  2. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

McNair. Sell. Team.

RasaqBoi, Rockets34Legend and Nook like this.
  3. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

TheTexans need better players. This starts with the draft.

4. No Worries

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Houston_Texans_draft_history

Read'em and weep ...

1/27 DeAndre Hopkins WR Clemson
    2/57 D.J. Swearinger S South Carolina
    3/89 Brennan Williams OT North Carolina
    3/95 Sam Montgomery DE LSU
    4/124 Trevardo Williams DE Connecticut
    6/176 David Quessenberry OT San Jose State
    6/195 Alan Bonner WR Jacksonville State
    6/198 Chris Jones DT Bowling Green
    6/201 Ryan Griffin TE Connecticut

1/1 Jadeveon Clowney DE South Carolina
    2/33 Xavier Su'a-Filo OG UCLA
    3/65 C. J. Fiedorowicz TE Iowa
    3/83 Louis Nix III DT Notre Dame
    4/135 Tom Savage QB Pittsburgh
    6/177 Jeoffrey Pagan DE Alabama
    6/181 Alfred Blue RB LSU
    6/211 Jay Prosch FB Auburn
    7/216 Andre Hal CB Vanderbilt
    7/256 Lonnie Ballentine S Memphis

1/16 Kevin Johnson CB Wake Forest
    2/43 Benardrick McKinney ILB Mississippi State
    3/70 Jaelen Strong WR Arizona State
    5/175 Keith Mumphery WR Michigan State
    6/211 Reshard Cliett OLB South Florida
    6/216 Christian Covington NT Rice
    7/235 Kenny Hilliard RB LSU

1/21 Will Fuller V WR Notre Dame
    2/50 Nick Martin C Notre Dame
    3/85 Braxton Miller WR Ohio State
    4/119 Tyler Ervin RB San Jose State
    5/159 K. J. Dillon SS West Virginia
    5/166 D. J. Reader DT Clemson

1/12 Deshaun Watson QB Clemson
    2/57 Zach Cunningham LB Vanderbilt
    3/89 D'Onta Foreman RB Texas
    4/130 Julién Davenport OT Bucknell
    4/142 Carlos Watkins DT Clemson
    5/169 Treston Decoud CB Oregon State
    7/243 Kyle Fuller C Baylor

3/68 Justin Reid SS Stanford
    3/80 Martinas Rankin T Mississippi State
    3/98 Jordan Akins TE Central Florida
    4/103 Keke Coutee WR Texas Tech
    6/177 Duke Ejiofor DE Wake Forest
    6/211 Jordan Thomas TE Mississippi State
    6/214 Peter Kalambayi DE Stanford
    7/222 Jermaine Kelly CB San Jose State

#4 No Worries, Sep 25, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2018
  5. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

1. Fire BOB
    2. Fire BOB's GM
    3. Hire literally anyone else to be the new GM
    4. Hire literally anyone else to be the new head coach.
    5. Profit.

RasaqBoi likes this.
  6. No Worries

It is so cute when children try to have grown up ideas.

7. Htown Legend

Htown Legend Member

You don’t know me guy. I’m no child. What I am is a Houston sports fan who is tired of watching this team get the crap beaten out of them when our expectations were much higher. The “grown ups” who ARE responsible for the product on the field and for leading the product put on the field have done a crappy job of getting the best out of these players. This site gives us a platform to post and vent about these types of things including ideas about how to fix it so Instead of trying to bash someone’s idea come up with your own or continue to trust bob McNair and bill o brien to win football games. Surely you have an opinion, or do you just stay silent and leave it up to the “grown ups” since Bill O’Brien and Brian gaine has it all under control?

8. No Worries

My comment was not directed toward you, but to this guy

9. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

That short drive through Crennelsville helps a lot.

10. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Looks like they saved the best draft for last. Early returns are looking good. 2nd place would be last years.

11. Jturbofuel

Jturbofuel Member

I like Kareem and Honey Badger at safety, but we need a serious talent infusion at CB in the worst way. Joseph is on borrowed time so the level he has played at since he has been here could end any second and the other spots are just bad. We need a LT bad I think Rankin can be a good player but most draft people thought he would be better suited at guard in the NFL. We also need a RB that can be a workhorse. Miller is really better suited as a 3rd down back and has been misused his entire career in Houston.

Htown Legend likes this.
  12. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

After the string of awesome Texans games, I've already started watching the draft sites.

This year's draft is seriously top-heavy in defensive linemen. I know Texans taking a defensive lineman is kind of a cliche, but when you include "edge rushers", using watlerfootball as the example, they have 15 of 32 1st round picks as defensive linemen, the first 6 picks are all defensive linemen, and 11 of the first 15 are defensive linemen.

That isn't just walterfootball, either. Its pretty much the consensus. The early indications are that this may be one of the most defensive lineman heavy drafts at the top, ever.

Rudyc281, Htown Legend and Nimo like this.
  13. No Worries

DE
    J.J. Watt (2011, round 1)
    Carlos Watkins (2017, round 4)
    Christian Covington (2015, round 6)
    Angelo Blackson (2015, round 4, Titans)
    Joel Heath (2016, undrafted)

NT
    D.J. Reader (2016, round 5)
    Brandon Dunn (2014, undrafted)

The Texans do not have early round talent on their DL, except for Watt.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  14. juanm34

juanm34 Member

The road to success is useless when you have a blind imbecile as your driver.

DatRocketFan, Houstunna and RasaqBoi like this.
  15. Nimo

Nimo Member

Clowney?

And if you expand to the front 7 Mercilus, McKinney, and Cunningham are early round draft picks.

red5rocket, Rudyc281 and No Worries like this.
  16. solid

solid Contributing Member

Swinney is an intriguing suggestion, thereby uniting DW with his old coach. Very risky though because the NFL is like a different game of football. McNair might be willing to eat two years of the extension if the team goes 3-13 or something like that. If they go 8-8 or even 7-9, we got BOB for another year.

17. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

Fire O Brien

McNair has some allegations and has to sell the team.

Trade Clowney.

18. RocketFan007

RocketFan007 Contributing Member

If we’re going the college coaching route, the guy should be Lincoln Riley.

red5rocket likes this.
  19. vonbock

vonbock Member

Another defensive lineman? We have drafted so many and hasn't gotten us to the promised land.