1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sources: Rockets have eyes on Jimmy B

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by cyberx, Sep 18, 2018.

1. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Well, I hear you, but they do it because it works and they can get away with it.

Perhaps future contracts will stipulate a "pouting" clause and have a player re-compensate the organization when a player makes a trade demand.

Rodman23 likes this.
  2. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

The biggest reason why they can get away with it is that other teams still value them . Toronto was willing to give up a top 30 player to take a chance on kawhi . The dude was coming off an injury / being incredibly unprofessional..... and they still gave up a lot for the chance it works out with him .

My question is .... is the league really THAT top heavy ??

Teams have to make stars happy to have a chance at signing star players because if not .... they know some other team will .

3. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

and trade him to sacramento!

B-Bob likes this.
  4. KlutchQT

KlutchQT Contributing Member

Yikes. X__X

sammy, Vivi and Nook like this.
  5. topfive

topfive CF OG

How do you feel about a team that decides that they won't be able to low-ball one of their stars like they'd hoped, so they just trade him with absolutely no advance warning -- during training camp? James Harden admitted he was devastated when OKC did it to him.

For every "today's pro athletes get away with way too much" story, I can find a dozen about these same guys getting d!cked around by owners and GMs.

Deuce, Richie_Rich, D-rock and 7 others like this.
  6. Nook

Nook Member

Translation:

Morey: "Gordon or Tucker and we will find a third team to take on Dieng Tom."

Thibs: "For Butler?"

Morey: "Uhh yearh.. is Layden there, maybe Taylor?"

Thibs: "Don't get me wrong, we will deal Butler."

Morey: "Have you had a CSCAN of your head lately? Have you maybe fallen recently?"

Thibs: "Harden. I'll do Harden for Butler. Like I said I will trade him but it has to be a good deal."

Morey: "Have you ever smoked crack Tom?"

Thibs: "Paul and Capela".........

7. J.R.

J.R. Member

[...]

"Our reality is that he has requested a trade, so we'll honor that," Thibodeau told me. "But we're not just going to make any deal. ... Our conversations (between Butler and Thibodeau) will remain private. He requested a trade and we're going to honor his request. But we're not going to do anything that's bad for the Timberwolves. We're going to do what's good for the Timberwolves. We have to prioritize that. That's what our job is."

Thibodeau's point was the Timberwolves weren't going to be pressured into making a bad deal just because of the timing of Butler's request coming days before training camps began. He believes Butler is a top-10 player in the NBA, and he believes the assets the Timberwolves receive in exchange for Butler should reflect that.

On Tuesday, he also emphasized to me something he told reporters at Monday's media day: If Butler is not traded in the next week, he will be expected to report to the Timberwolves' training camp once his rehabilitation from an offseason hand surgery is complete.

"He's under contract," Thibodeau said. "Who knows? It's a pretty fluid situation. We're always going to do what's best for the Timberwolves. We're going to prioritize that."

[...]

The timing is never good when a player requests a trade. Thibodeau said that during Monday's media day. I brought up to him Tuesday that the timing of Butler's trade request seemed especially bad.

Thibodeau put on an optimistic face.

"We don't get distracted," he said. "That's the important thing. In the NBA things always change, whether it's a trade request, an injury -- it could be a lot of different things. You have to be ready to go. Don't allow yourself to be distracted. That's the important thing."

[...]

D-rock, Vivi and DonKnock like this.
  8. JW86

JW86 Member

Not a trend. There’s a difference.

9. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

It's no worse then a franchise telling a player he's their guy then trading him. See Blake and the Clippers.

D-rock likes this.
  10. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

the longer this lingers on w/ MIN's incompetent management, the more concerned i get that presti will swoop in again :X

hakeem94 likes this.
  11. YOLO

YOLO Member

not really. all involved look out for themselves first and what's best for them. Whether it's the organization or the player himself. the difference isn't really there

Y2JT likes this.
  12. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

Love was fine playing in Minnesota he never said he wanted out at all. He did welcome the trade of course to the Cavs.

Garnett LOVED Minnesota. They just could keep a contending team around him (probably because of the Joe Smith fiasco) and traded him because they wanted to do right by him and give him a chance to win a ring. There is a reason why Garnett was willing to waive his no trade clause to be sent back to Minnesota to finish his career there.

Butler is the only one that doesn't want to be there and its more because of Kat and Wiggins not necessarily the city/franchise

13. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

So is our best offer

Dieng to Sac and we send them a future first.
    Gordon+Future first to Minnesota along with Llull and Nene?

Can't imagine that gets it done if LAL really wants to snag him.

JuNx likes this.
  14. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

It's worse than a trend. It's common practice.

Reeko and topfive like this.
  15. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

i feel like SAC would want more than the 30th pick for taking on 3yrs of dieng though

Vivi likes this.
  16. IslandB.O.I.

IslandB.O.I. Member

17. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

Toss them a 2nd also *shrug

pippendagimp likes this.
  18. Nook

Nook Member

Love wanted out of Minnesota after they did not offer him the max extension when they could have. Love then told Minnesota that he would not demand a trade, but would accept one.... and made it very clear that he would not sign an extension with Minnesota or resign.

Kevin Garnett did love being in Minnesota, but he also said that he made a mistake staying as long as he did, that he should have left earlier to do what was best by him and win titles. Of course that is all AFTER the fact and after Garnett signed an unbelievable contract to stay in Minnesota.

Butler has wasn't to play in LA or NY for years. The Bulls traded him because he made it clear he was no resigning. His own teammates in Chicago called him "Hollywood". Butler can claim it is all Wiggins or KAT but I highly doubt he was staying their either way. He wants to be a celebrity and to be around celebrities and in Chicago he complained about the cold weather.

The reality is that there are some players that really would rather play in NY or LA or SF and will try to force a deal when they can. The only want I think to prevent it being so prevalent is to limit teams to only 2 max contracts and to increase how much an original franchise can offer to well above what a free agent destination could.

19. mrstriker316

mrstriker316 Member

I heard on the Jump we made an offer, Wonder what it was..

D-rock and DonKnock like this.
  20. Reeko

Reeko Member

Is Scoop B a Potato Head level legend if Butler ends up in Houston?