1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Texas Cop Who Fatally Shot Man After Entering Wrong Apartment Identified

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Rocket River, Sep 9, 2018.

1. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entr...partment-shooting_us_5b952bc7e4b0162f472e37fb

Texas Cop Who Fatally Shot Man After Entering Wrong Apartment Identified
    Police say Amber Guyger shot 26-year-old Botham Shem Jean after mistaking his Dallas apartment for her own.

Police in Texas have identified the officer accused of fatally shooting a man after entering his apartment, allegedly mistakenly believing it to have been her own.

Dallas officer Amber Guyger, who has been a member of the local police force for at least four years, was in uniform but off-duty when authorities said she entered 26-year-old Botham Shem Jean’s apartment just before 10 p.m. Thursday.

It’s not clear what, if any, interaction the two people had before Guyger discharged her gun and then called 911. Guyger, who had been returning home from her shift, was required to provide a blood sample for drug and alcohol testing, police said.

On Saturday, the Texas Rangers, which is now handling the investigation, decided to postpone pursuing a warrant against Guyger “until they could follow up on information that they received from the interview with the officer,” the Dallas Police Department said.

On Friday, Dallas Police Chief U. Renee Hall had said at a press conference that she would be seeking a manslaughter charge.

“On behalf of the Dallas Police Department, we are continuing to pray for Mr. Jean’s family, and ask that the community remain patient as this investigation is conducted,” said Hall.

An attorney for Jean’s family has insisted that the officer be charged and treated like any other member of society.

“If there is probable cause that a crime has been committed in this jurisdiction, it is incumbent upon law enforcement, and in particular the district attorney’s office, to issue a warrant for the arrest of the officer involved,” attorney Lee Merritt said following a vigil at Dallas West Church of Christ, NBC News reported. “We’re calling on the Rangers and on the district attorney’s office at this time to make that happen, and swiftly.”

Jean was a native of the Caribbean island of St. Lucia, a 2016 graduate of Harding University ― a private Christian institution in Arkansas ― and employed by PricewaterhouseCoopers in Dallas, the company said.

“Botham loved mankind, Botham never saw color, he never saw race. Botham wanted all of us to unite,” his mother, Allison Jean, said at a vigil.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

1. How was she not arrested on the spot?
    2. How is she allowed to leave?
    3. Why have not charges been file

Answer: WHITE . . .WOMAN . . .COP

She wasn't on duty so being a cop SHOULD not matter
    She was at HIS APARTMENT . . . .. SHE then MURDERED HIM

If the guy had walked into the wrong apartment and shot her . . . he would be in jail . . if not shot on the scene.

Rocket River
    White Woman Tears are magic

macho GRANDE and CometsWin like this.
  2. jcf

jcf Member

I'm trying to imagine a scenario where I would: 1) somehow walk into the wrong apartment; and 2) end up shooting the actual rightful resident (even if I was carrying). (reporting seems off because it states the Police Chief would be seeking a manslaughter charge.). Blood test results will be interesting.

3. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

This is horrible. He sounds like a great guy to everyone, not that it matters to her conviction, but it just makes it sad that we lost a great, upstanding citizen ... just because he opened his door for officer trying to get in with a key.

This is a more thorough article with videos of the scene taken by neighbors.

https://heavy.com/news/2018/09/amber-guyger/

Amiga and Rocket River like this.
  4. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

fwiw: The victim opened the door for her, while she was trying to unlock it with the wrong key.

read my link above. It's a more thorough article.

She got off on the wrong floor (per report), and he probably [the rest is all a guess on my part] looked through the peep-hole, and since he was so well liked, friendly, upstanding citizen, saw it was a cop in uniform and opened the door saying, "May I help you."

Houstunna likes this.
  5. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

the sequence of events that led a uniformed agent of the government to murder someone in their own residence doesn't really matter. He could have had a gun, a giant mound of cocaine and CP on his TV. The more important issues are the media protecting her identity for days, why was she not in custody instantly and why did Rocket River post a new thread when I put an epic post about this in the OMNIBUS thread.

6. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I'm the vernacular of Clutchfans
    I.D.I.O.T.

Rocket River

macho GRANDE likes this.
  7. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Please stop trying to make these police shootings part of the anti government tin foil hat wingnut paranoia

We don't live in a police state and an incident like this is too way off the charts to suggest a pattern of anything in terms of police shootings

8. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Cue bobbythegreat saying if he just acted properly he wouldn't have been shot

macho GRANDE and Mr.Scarface like this.
  9. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

I'll argue my position and you argue yours. I think the media and police "off the record" relationship here is troubling. I think the pattern of police getting extremely special treatment is extremely common.

She was given an in-and-out arrest on a 300K bond. She never actually went to jail. The process took an hour. How long were you in jail for? 24 hours? What was your bond? 500 bucks? She shot another guy last year. Why did she still have a gun?

10. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

They couldn't protect her identity forever. Its not even a weekend really. Its no big deal

11. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

If a black man walked into the wrong apartment mistakenly and shot a white woman they'd get capital punishment.

This woman should be tried for murder. This is why you shouldn't just murder unarmed people even if you THINK they are trespassing.

Houstunna likes this.
  12. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

sad sad event.

Also, what a surprise to see loonygabriel in here mouthing off.

Rocket River likes this.
  13. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

They had to give her time to wipe off her social media and hide everything she could that would give insight into her personality and history. Cops always cover their own asses. Anyone else that had done this would be in jail and we'd known her name right away. Disgusting.

14. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

How can a cop afford that kind of bail money?

macho GRANDE and Rocket River like this.
  15. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Yup. What if there was an emergency leak in her actual apartment (and they couldn't get a hold of her for some reason) and the complex let a repairman in to fix it. Bang bang?

I'm eager for them to release more info on the encounter she had with him at the door before her shooting the man. I just don't understand how this couldn't have been resolved if she had taken the time to ask a few questions first... Especially as a cop who's supposed to be trained to handle highly stressful situations, why the hell shoot on sight when (I'm guessing) the guy likely wasn't pointing a gun or lunging at her.

#15 ThatBoyNick, Sep 10, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2018
  16. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

No surprise to see you ridin my dick.

They didnt arrest her immediately. She is a cop. I get it. I get why people are upset abour that but it still just happened

17. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

She had worked 15 hours. Thatd a lot but doable. She may have been on meth. Given her mug shot i wouldn't be surprised

She also worked in southeast Dallas which is Dallas's older black area.

18. amaru

amaru Member

I’d be shocked if she got more than 5-7 years.

macho GRANDE and mdrowe00 like this.
  19. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

I've walked into the wrong apartment before, albeit drunk. It didn't take long to realize I was in the wrong place even though it was a furnished dorm apartment so the furniture was basically all the same.

20. jayhow92

jayhow92 Member

Any updates on this? It doesn't add up at all.