1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Kennedy to retire - USSC will swing even further right

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by NewRoxFan, Jun 27, 2018.

1. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

catching some of the hearings right now. Every five minutes or so somebody in the gallery is dragged out kicking and screaming about some protest. Kind of annoying actually, but everyone in the room seems to be taking it in stride. Whoever is speaking when it happens gets an extra minute to speak, so I guess there's some benefit to committee members to have the protesters interrupting things.

2. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

wow. Kavanaugh just cited Woodward's book The Brethren as a positive influence on his thinking. Maybe just an accident or a coincidence, but I wonder if he'd given that some thought ahead of time in light of yesterday's news about Woodward's new book.

3. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

4. TheresTheDagger

It's not from the Kavanaugh hearing, but here's a tweet from a congressional committee with a unique way of handling hecklers.

cml750, Commodore and London'sBurning like this.
  5. London'sBurning

London'sBurning Contributing Member

Hilarious.

6. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

As a Democrat, and a former hippie and Vietnam War protester, I would like to say that the protesters at the hearing making noise, etc., aren't helping the upcoming election one bit. In my humble opinion. It has nothing to do with why they are protesting, but rather where they are doing so. Hit the streets, people, and quit making a useless nuisance of yourselves. It doesn't look good on TV, and independent voters aren't going to be swayed by your actions.

7. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Nonsense, they are helping, just not in the way they intend. I'd be willing to bet every single Republican is grateful for them embarrassing themselves like that in order to be used against Democrat candidates.

cml750 likes this.
  8. London'sBurning

London'sBurning Contributing Member

Agreed the method of delivering your message matters just as much as the content. Protesting during these hearings does nothing to get anyone to take the content of the message seriously.

Except for the person that's gone as the Monopoly Man in other hearings. That's protest I can support.

Deckard likes this.
  9. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

I don't know if it matters, but the protester is a far-right activist (laura loomer) who was basically repeating Alex Jones' argument. And the congressman that went into the auctioneer routine is republican billy long.

JayGoogle likes this.
  10. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Yep, she's bragging about it on twitter.

I guess it doesn't matter too much either way though, both sides are protesting things in the end.

11. ryan_98

ryan_98 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

wow kavanaugh getting hammered.

did he speak to kasowitz?

12. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

need Billy Long in the Senate to drown out Kavenaugh hecklers

13. dc rock

dc rock Contributing Member

14. dc rock

Oily Mike at the end oiling it up.

15. dc rock

16. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

If they have evidence that he spoke to person X at law firm Y, why ask the question in such a roundabout way? Why not just ask Did you speak to person X at about the investigation. If they think he spoke to someone at the firm, but aren't sure who, why not just provide a list of everyone at the firm and say did you speak to any of these people about the investigation? It sounds like Senator Harris is fishing and wants to make it appear that she knows about some sort of misconduct that she is merely guessing about, without giving him a legitimate chance to deny the accusation.

17. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Kyle lied, it was not worth my time as there was nothing at all interesting taking place during that clip.

18. dc rock

19. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

It was a poorly constructed question and he took his time trying to figure out what the "gotcha" moment she was after was....he never did figure it out and she was never specific enough about the question to move things forward likely because she didn't actually have anything, she was just hoping she could stumble upon something by asking vague enough questions hoping to find something out by him trying to make sense of them. It failed and wasn't terribly interesting. What is interesting though is you continuing to talk about it as if something actually happened.

20. dc rock

She asked about a specific conversation about specific subject with a person at a specific law firm. I guess it's spearfishing.