1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

Rockets trade Ryan Anderson to Suns

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by mikol13, Aug 30, 2018.

?

Do you like the Rockets trade of Anderson & Melton to Phoenix for Brandon Knight & Marquese Chriss?

Poll closed Sep 14, 2018.
  1. YES

663 vote(s)
    85.9%
  2. NO

109 vote(s)
    14.1%
  1. AXG

AXG Member

Great news to wake up to

dreamshakin and Tfor3 like this.
  2. solid

solid Contributing Member

I am predicting that Chriss will turn out to be the biggest surprise in the long run. He is very, very young at only 21. He has all the physical qualities, but his head isn't quite screwed on yet. Hmmmm, intriguing.

Red Chocolate likes this.
  3. kevC

kevC Contributing Member

Why is everyone saying that we "dumped" Ryno. That implies we shed ourselves of his contract. We didn't. We took on almost equally terrible contracts that saves us SOME money. I was all for taking on equally bad salary for Ryno and give up an asset if it meant returning players that are usable. Knight is not usable. Chriss might be okay but he seems to be a nut case and isn't any more ready to contribute than Melton. This is a strictly money-saving move. Don't fool yourself into thinking Knight or Chriss can help this team win next year.

Knight was one of the worst players in the entire league BEFORE he tore his ACL. He makes James Harden look like Bruce Bowen on defense.

Little Bit, napalm06 and Os Trigonum like this.
  4. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

5. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

I wonder if Melton opting for a 1-yr bet on yourself deal, rather than a multi-year deal on the cheap factored into Morey trading him. I bet it did.

napalm06 likes this.
  6. Russjr2

Russjr2 Contributing Member

I guess "dumping" in this context means unloading $40 mil of unusable money on this roster. He was not going to give us anything. B Knight and Chriss could be useful, Chriss maybe more than Knight depending on his knee. We would just use Knight off the bench anyway. Give some scoring with the 2nd unit while CP and James gets rest. Chriss is a 6'qp athlete that can be developed. If they don't work out their deals are moveable (which I think is the biggest thing in all of this. Trying to move all of Ryan's $40 mil by itself was impossible. So let's give these guys a chance and see what we get.

7. jakedasnake

jakedasnake Member

Lol, According to a slightly larger sample size, he started 9 games at center where he had his best production. Averaged 14 pts and 9 boards in 29 minutes while shooting 49.5% from the field. If he cut out his (3) 3 pt. attempts per game during that stretch he would have shot a Capela-esque 62% from the field. This guy should start the season as the backup center to see if he can produce near Capela level. He should not take 3's (unless he has drastically improved on this part of his game). He should model his game exactly like Capela on offense and defense and I think he will become more and more valuable as the season goes on. Get John Lucas to work with this kid ASAP!

As for Knight, I found the article below about how Knight practiced with the summer league team back in July. The article says he was healthy so I assume he is getting most of his strength back and the mental aspect from the injury out of his mind. Hopefully he is healthy enough during training camp/preseason to see what he is capable of. He is definitely not the most efficient player but he does have a good amount of talent so you got to see if he can fit in and fill a role on this squad. It is worth the gamble. Stretching him would be a disappointment IMO.

Knight seems like a pretty good locker room guy if you get his mind right. I am sure he has been humbled these last couple of seasons and matured. My impression is that he is a basketball junkie but I could be wrong. Seems like he lives and breathes basketball.

Chris Paul will be good for both of these guys. Chriss has a lot of maturing to do but I think if he can keep him engaged and drinking the kool-aid he could fit in pretty well. Should have learned a lot from Tyson Chandler the past 2 seasons and now will have Chris Paul, Nene and even Capela to try and learn how to be a professional and play the game the right way and be a good teammate.

I really like the potential upside of this trade more and more.

Brandon Knight Article from Summer League
    http://arizonasports.com/story/1585...lping-young-guys-suns-summer-league-workouts/

8. Tfor3

Tfor3 Member

I like this a lot!!!!!

9. mockster

mockster Member

Well that’s why your not the GM. Keeping players in the team that can’t contribute

Both of the players we have now are more flip able then Anderson’s contract by far
    And we saved 6 mil. On top of that we got our guard insurance and a high energy guy that can slot in at back up PF without sending a pick

Melton was never gonna be a factor this year. People on CF were overhyping him.

luckyman76 likes this.
  10. Vivi

Vivi Member

So, the Suns might cut Holmes to offer more to Melton...interesting.

And at this point we'll have almost the full tax MLE to play with on the buyout market...we might sign a very solid player and have a good chance to resign him with the non bird rights next summer.

11. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

Knight is a large contract, but other teams are a lot more likely to take on a 26 year old who had great potential 2 years ago at 2 yrs / 30 M than a a 30 year old non-athletic PF at 2 yrs / 40M.

We gain in usability this year (4th guard has a lot more utility than someone who wouldn't have gotten off the bench), and in trade value for any upcoming moves using that piece.

Vivid likes this.
  12. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

I'm sorry, I disagree with you. We need defense and there was a pathway for Melton to contribute. Also I do not think Knight's contract is any more movable than Anderson's....and he's a worse player than Anderson to boot.

But as you say, I'm not the GM. I'm just a fan who's been posting on clutchfans for 20 years.

13. rocketman84

rocketman84 Member

This is ridiculous. Anderson didn’t play. So if Knight is worthless and doesn’t play, he’s the same.

Knight CANT offer less to the offense than Anderson because Anderson didn’t play.

csj, luckyman76 and mockster like this.
  14. thedude077

thedude077 Member

I disagree with you on Chriss. I think he can be a good back up, role player, a Carl Landry type power forward. Brandon Knight is ok, decent. We'll be fine with those two.

15. rocketman84

rocketman84 Member

Why is everyone creaming over this rookie? If morey had made this trade 3 months ago and the headline said “Ryan Anderson and a second round pick” everyone would think at a steal

csj, luckyman76 and TheRealAllpro like this.
  16. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

If it was strictly about money and neither Knight or Chriss was seen as useful, wouldn't the move be to waive and stretch Ryno? You save more tax dollars by doing that, and you also keep Melton that way.

The thing with Knight is that even if the Rockets don't see him as as rotation piece themselves, a 26-year-old on a $15M/year contract expiring in 2020 is probably more palatable in trade offers than a 30-year-old Ryan Anderson on a $20M/year contract expiring in 2020.

A team like Atlanta might see Knight as worth a trial run. They wouldn't with Ryno.

ArtV, luckyman76, kaleidosky and 5 others like this.
  17. TheRealAllpro

TheRealAllpro Morey only fan

Can you really be a bust at 21!

Melton and Chriss are ten months apart in age.

luckyman76 and seeingredtx like this.
  18. hakeemthagreat

So much misinformation in one post. First, Knight once averaged 19pts preinjury. Worst players in the league? Based off WHAT? As far as Chriss, he's a athletic rim running big that can block shots & run the court. How is he unusable? All we need him to do is exactly what his skill set offers. Brandon Knight is the PERFECT backup for CP. A athletic young pg that can create & dish in short stretches. We don't need him playing too many minutes. There's no pressure

19. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

I bet you were devastated when the Rockets traded Donte Green

#499 REEKO_HTOWN, Aug 31, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2018
    mockster likes this.
  20. Swiss Roll

Swiss Roll Member

This semi serious description may or may not justify Chriss' pants-on-head r****ded behavior questionable motor in PHX.

Everybody is always talking about how Marquese "Sea-Cheese" Marquese has attitude problems. He gets frustrated easily, wears his emotions on his sleeve, and the fact that he's constantly getting into foul trouble doesn't help either. But can you even blame him for having a bad attitude? He plays for the Suns. Here's a list of things going on with the Suns that would give me attitude problems, and if they give ME attitude problems, you know they'll give Chriss attitude problems, because I'm a pretty chill dude most of the time:

-The Suns are losing a lot of games and are uncompetitive in many of them.
    -Many of Chriss' teammates are total scrublords.
    -What is a Talking Stick, and why is there a resort named after it?
    -Little-known-fact: whenever the Suns announcer has to do his "proud to own the three point zone" Fulton Homes spiel, it's pitch-shifted up three octives and broadcast at ear-splittingly high volume to the whole arena. That's gotta be annoying.
    -The concessions people don't even give out free concessions to the players, even though the stupid concessions people wouldn't even be employed if it wasn't for players like Chriss. They should be more grateful.
    -Brandon Knight regularly shows up to the locker room wearing suits made entirely out of 100-dollar bills.
    -Jay Triano is a real coach, which is less fun than having a fake coach like Earl Watson.
    -Two words: Alec Peters.

In conclusion, if I had to play for the Suns, I would be a locker room cancer and do everything I could do distrupt team chemistry.