1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

Rockets trade Ryan Anderson to Suns

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by mikol13, Aug 30, 2018.

?

Do you like the Rockets trade of Anderson & Melton to Phoenix for Brandon Knight & Marquese Chriss?

Poll closed Sep 14, 2018.
  1. YES

663 vote(s)
    85.9%
  2. NO

109 vote(s)
    14.1%
  1. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

Knight about to turn into Lou Will

2. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

3. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

Really shocked at the poll results. I don't care if my take is a popular one.

I don't like this deal. I don't like the players we got. And I don't like trading Melton for nothing of value in return.

This doesn't really help our cap situation. The players we got will barely if at all, crack the rotation.

We swapped out a bad contract and a good young prospect for another bad contract and a draft bust. Granted bigs take more time to develop and maybe we'll see some improvement, but morey's buy low draft bust strategy has never worked out.

I mean this trade is not catastrophicly bad, but it's not good. And I'm pretty shocked others don't see it that way. But I guess the ryno hate is so extreme folks can't see the difference between waiting one more year for his contract to become a tradeable asset vs giving up young talent to move him.

I mean, why are we giving up Melton if we are taking on the Sun's trash contracts?

Little Bit, clutchdabear and HP3 like this.
  4. mockster

mockster Member

We saved money and we took two players who can contribute minutes ASAP

Sure Melton 2-3 years from now may be a mistake but that’s just a hunch

IvanLCPM likes this.
  5. mike2k132

mike2k132 Member

Nope knight is movable Anderson just was not. This was all u could get sir

6. dkim1984

dkim1984 Member

Chriss makes a lot of sense in an all switch defense, and Knight breaks up the value of one contract into two smaller contracts, which might make trading each piece easier.

AroundTheWorld, hakeem94 and jboslett like this.
  7. Swiss Roll

Swiss Roll Member

Everyone thinks they can find the next Tyson Chandler, maybe CP can save Chriss too.

8. mockster

mockster Member

Chris Paul about to go dad mode on Knight

topfive likes this.
  9. Senator

Senator Member

I agree but Anderson just couldn't contribute. Knight has just as bad a contract, but can hopefully contribute consistently off the bench.

Morey had to mix it up and try new things. Fans will overrate anything they haven't seen yet, but when you can't prove yourself as a veteran in 3 years, it's time to move on.

Chriss moves in slow motion, he might make some highlight plays defensively, but I can't see him contributing against better teams. It's not a mastermind trade at all but it's a change you have to try to get over the gs hump.

Aruba77 likes this.
  10. Swapshop

Swapshop Member

Last time I checked 30 mil is less than 41 mil.

Hui and topfive like this.
  11. Red Chocolate

Red Chocolate Contributing Member

Melton was showcased in the summer league precisely for this. Regarding your opinion of Chriss, keep in mind that the Suns used him WAY out of position at the PF, in fact almost 90% of his minutes were at the 4 where he is really, really bad because Phoenix is terrible and more importantly, he's not a PF in today's NBA, not even close. At C, he has a much smaller minutes sample but has extremely good #s last season, and Morey of course knows this.

Our team is not terrible and does not have awful coaching/management and we will use Chriss only at backup center, and I think he's maybe not necessarily a lock to play over Nene early in the season, but I'd be surprised if he wasn't our primary backup center later on in the season. He has tremendous hands and range around and above the rim, and has 2 of the best passers in the game on his team.

As far as Knight, he's a Lou Williams type that if healthy will crack the rotation at least some of the time. I'm much higher on Chriss than Knight for a lot of reasons but I think you will be pleasantly surprised as the season develops.

12. Red Hova

Red Hova Member

Knight at best is a version of Leondro Barbosa, which is very good. Houston had to take a calculated gamble here to avoid giving up 1st round draft picks. The gamble being Knights health and confidence in his perimeter shot.

Melton had first round talent, but in reality he went in the middle of the second round. I like him alot, but we traded him at a very high value.

Chriss is a gamble as well, but a really good one because he's cheap. If he can run jump and play smarter, he could be a real asset to Houston. Chris will really make him a more effective player. Realistic expectation IMO is what we expected from a healthy Brandon Wright last year.

Ryno have us nothing and did not fit with this roster. Also while Melton is the best defensive player of the group, Houston improved their offensive and defensive foot speed. They can switch more effectively with Chriss and Knight than with Anderson as bad as they may be in defense, especially Knight.

This by all accounts is a fair trade Morey usually is the run away winner in his deals, but IMO this is a good trade really for both teams involved.

13. Aruba77

I mean, I can see it this way. But if this is the deal after over a year of working every angle....wow. I think it's fair to wonder if we wouldn't be better off just keeping him till the trade deadline or next off-season when a team can more easily rationalize eating just a year of his salary.

heypartner likes this.
  14. rhino17

rhino17 Member

Ridiculous take. Melton was a 2nd round pick who he never put on a rockets uniform. The guy was never gonna play this year and don’t act like you know much about the guy or watched him thoroughly in college, nobody here did. You are kidding yourself if you don’t think Knight (a capable scorer and shooter) will not crack the rotation of healthy. I’ll gladly take him over a player in Ryno who is a complete non factor for 41 games a year plus the playoffs

15. BleedsRocketRed

Yes. He sucked by all metrics before he tore his ACL.

16. mockster

mockster Member

I’m not claiming he’s an all star but averaging 17-19 ppg is pretty damn good. He has the talent. He can be good in small minutes and insurance

luckyman76 and hakeem94 like this.
  17. Astrosfan183

Astrosfan183 Member

Unless he just really can't recover from his injury, I really think Knight could thrive in a D'Antoni offense. I'm imagining he doesn't really get a ton of playtime in the playoffs but is a nice instant offense spark to have as an option (and I believe players like that are important for a team as streaky as ours)

But more importantly, if Knight can be another playable guard we could then reduce CP3's load a lot during the regular season which I'm all about.

Red Chocolate and hakeem94 like this.
  18. Aruba77

It's not a ridiculous take to think we'd be better off keeping Anderson till the trade deadline or next offseason rather than giving up young talent to move him while taking back two bad contracts.

But everyone is entitled to their opinion I guess.

Little Bit likes this.
  19. House Rockets

House Rockets Member

Wow, I was about to go to sleep but I thought I should check clutchfans just in case there was any news.This just goes to show, never sleep on Daryl Morey, he'll get it done somehow. I'm wide awake now!!

hakeem94 likes this.
  20. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

Well, I like it. Especially given what was out there. Looking forward to seeing how the new big is playing after a month or two.

Rashmon likes this.