1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Athletics @ Astros

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Aug 27, 2018.

1. rdsgonzo13

rdsgonzo13 Contributing Member

The issue is Keuchel has been absolutely clobbered by the A's in 2 of his 3 starts against them and goes tomorrow. Morton was a much better bet to shut down the A's but he just had an off game with his control. Velocity was down, hope everything is ok with his arm b/c he is essential to any repeat hopes.

Cahill, A's starter for tomorrow, has been great at home and awful on the road. It could be a shootout tomorrow. Sure wish we had it lined up for JV or Framber to pitch against Oakland than Keuchel.

2. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Now you're just trolling yourself.

Framber over Keuchel?

Again, if you truly believe the drivel in your posts, I have no idea why you waste your time with this team.

3. rdsgonzo13

I have season tickets. I love the team.

Keuchel's three games against Oakland -

7.0 7 6 6 3 0 3
    8.0 5 1 1 0 2 4
    5.2 9 5 5 0 1 4

There is no book out on Framber right now, which works significantly to his advantage; he's looked downright electric his first 2 starts one of which was against a Seattle offense we've had fits controlling post All Star Break.

You need put away stuff against Oakland as they are a damn good hitting lineup. They have good plate discipline. Keuchel has a 5.35 ERA against Oakland this year. Only 11 K's in 20.2 innings. He's had trouble putting them away. He's going to have to paint corners tomorrow to offset his struggles in putting their hitters away.

Like I said, Cahill's #'s are poor on the road so tomorrow could be an 8-6 type of game.

Cahill's Road/Home splits are insanely polar.

http://www.espn.com/mlb/player/splits/_/id/30054/trevor-cahill

4. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Framber over Keuchel... got it.

If you want to unload your season tickets after this painful letdown season, let me know.

5. rdsgonzo13

Not planning on unloading lol. :)

Baseball is the best or at least second best to football sport in the world and the only affordable one remaining.

Playoffs are a fresh start like you said and absolutely anything is possible in baseball.

I really hope Springer and Correa get it turned around heading into the postseason. Springer is a joy to watch when he's not overswinging and seeing the ball well. The enthusiasm he brings (like on Bregman's double to tie the game) is what makes baseball great.

Also hoping Framber becomes a star for us and can definitely see a guy with tremendous upside. To come in your first 2 starts on the road and pitch like he did is nothing to be taken lightly. He made some good hitters look very foolish in Seattle and LA. Arguably shouldn't have given up a single run in either game (both required fielding mishaps to score).

I am comparing Framber to 2018 Keuchel, not 2015 Keuchel.

6. Senator

Senator Member

FYI, the entire offense outside Bregman regressed this year. Big deal, it happens, they are all still + WAR players. The emergence of White later in the season and Kemp earlier has been a surprise that has lifted the whole lineup that is either in feast or famine mode.

SP has been great, but in the playoffs you're facing Kluber, Bauer and Sale, Price so it will likely be cancelled out when Verlander isn't pitching.

7. Senator

Senator Member

Framber, who you've seen pitch for 10 innings? Who other teams haven't scouted whatsoever?

8. SooneRockStro

SooneRockStro Member

I really would’ve liked to see Kemp in the lineup instead of Reddick tonight. Kemp hitting in the 9 hole is a much better situation IMO.

9. Malaya

Malaya Member

This being a high-pressure game?

Gotta go with the veteran and let the chips fall where they fall. SP lately have been giving up runs, difference is the offense has come alive. Offense needs to show up to support whoever the SP is.

10. ktex

ktex Member

Momentum killer. Simply no reason for him to do that with your studs coming up right behind him.

11. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Can't lie... I didn't realize Osuna has blown so many saves in his career. I know last might wasn't an opp and some closers struggle in non-save, but still.

Could have accepted last night better if a HR or only a couple baserunners. But last night was 3+ baserunners with a lucky K as strike 3 was off the plate. Full count, so it would've been a walk. We were also fortunate the ground-rule prevented the second run.

His career average is ONE blown every FIVE saves. Both Kimbrel and Chapman are at 1/9.

Osuna is still good, but that's nearly twice the blown as the most elite guys.

The good news is postseason where Osuna has out-pitched both guys. He's really been clutch in the playoffs.

12. Pringles

Pringles Member

Hoping Correa has a monster game - we need him to get his swag back.

13. jim1961

jim1961 Member

Win today and all is well.

14. Malaya

Malaya Member

That was who we were last year.

Houstunna likes this.
  15. jtexan

jtexan Member

I just re-watched Correa's last at bat and I say this in all seriousness--have the Astros considered that he may need glasses? He just sat there and watched two pitches right over the plate. He does this constantly, it's like he's trying to guess what's going to be thrown and if he doesn't see that specific pitch he just doesn't swing. If it looks good, SWING! So, he either needs glasses or needs to change his approach at the plate. He's been such a disappointment, probably one of last guys in the lineup you want up there with the game on the line.

16. rdsgonzo13

I believe it's one out of every 6 saves, not one out of 5 but still I understand your point and it is a bit puzzling.

I feel like Luhnow thinks the Astros staff can Coach him up from good to great like they have with Charlie Morton and Peacock and Gerritt Cole and even Verlander. This is what they seemed to have been thinking with Pressly too who's numbers are ordinary but who's stuff is not. They feel with their analytics they can up a pitcher's game by tweaking pitch usage, location, etc.

The killer last night was the walks, both by Morton and Osuna. 4 pitch walk from your closer to leadoff the ninth just won't cut it. The Athletics really didn't hit the ball hard much all night save for the 3 run jack by Olson. Two lucky infield hits, lol. And the Martini double, while well struck, seemed to be a catcheable ball if not for the shift.

I was surprised to see Osuna's ho-hum blown save ratio after learning about the trade. The dude is also really young, so I'm sure they are factoring in a strong possibility he isn't a finished product.

17. Rox225

Rox225 Contributing Member

Correa just doesn't look confident that the plate. Definitely has lost the swag and confidence from his rookie season when he was just out there playing. Of course the leages has adjusted to him but that doesn't explain him just staring at two hittable pitches.

18. rdsgonzo13

Speculation on my part, but I feel like it represents a lack of preparation more than anything. I recall an interview with Marisnick where he more or less admitted he started the season guessing but then started to spend a lot more time studying his opponents and their pitching tendencies and then more or less the guesses were more educated guesses, which resulted in more barrelling of the bat, which resulted in a lot more bases and less strikeouts.

Guys like Bregman and Chapman aren't just born with great plate discipline. They develop it by seeking to perfect their craft. Practice and film study.

Correa has so much God-given talent, but he just doesn't seem to have the desire and hunger to maximize it. It does seem like he goes up to the plate without a plan based on the inordinate number of times he just stares at meatballs.

Correa is 24 years old. For a player that young to have this level of dropoff in one season is rare and sad really. With a focused Correa, our title chances would go up significantly.

All that said, he does still have time and he has elevated his game in the postseason in 2015 and 2017. Hinch just needs to find the way to push his buttons to get that motivation and focus back.

19. rdsgonzo13

It was a hypothetical scenario. Framber's not available. I would love to see how he'd do against this team. You can always have a short leash if he struggles but I think the lack of a scouting report on him is a trump card working in his favor and if it takes Oakland 3 times through the lineup to adjust you've just nailed down 4-5 innings against a great offense.

Trevor Cahill's road ERA is over 6.00 so I agree the onus is on the offense to come up big today, which they can and should. If keuchel can hold oakland to 4 runs or less in 6 innings, you take that outcome and take your chances.

20. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

If there's any team who can maximize a pitcher, I agree it's the Astros.

This is Osuna's second time turning a tie game into a 1-run deficit.

I'm confident he will improve in the future.