1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[SUN TIMES] Rahm Emanuel gave right message on violence, even if he was the wrong messenger

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Os Trigonum, Aug 19, 2018.

1. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

opinion piece by Mary Mitchell:

https://chicago.suntimes.com/news/r...hicago-violence-race-relations-mary-mitchell/

Rahm Emanuel gave right message on violence, even if he was the wrong messenger
    [​IMG]
    Mayor Rahm Emanuel speaking Monday about Chicago experiencing an especially violent weekend. | Getty Images

ByMary Mitchell
    @MaryMitchellCST | email
    08/10/2018, 01:59pm

Mayor Rahm Emanuel stepped on a lot of toes this past week when he spoke bluntly about the role family values plays in reducing gun violence.

“This may not be politically correct, but I know the power of what faith and family can do,” the mayor said. “Our kids need that structure… I am asking…that we also don’t shy away from a full discussion about the importance of family and faith helping to develop and nurture character, self respect, a value system and a moral compass that allows kids to know good from bad and right from wrong.

“We are going to discuss issues that have been taboo in years past because they are part of the solution,“ Emanuel said. “And we cannot be scared to have this conversation.”

A chorus of black voices howled in response.

But if we are really honest with ourselves — and I’m talking to black folks now — the mayor said the same thing many of us have said among ourselves.

The truth hurts. And, in this instance, it is doubly hurtful because it is coming out of the mouth of a white man.

OPINION

But we can’t have a conversation about stopping the violence without talking about the self-loathing and lack of values that is a part of that violence.

Don’t get me wrong. I understand all too well how racism, disinvestment, poor schools, job discrimination and segregation have played their parts in creating the circumstances that have brought us to this moment.

I came of age at the tail end of the Jim Crow era, when educated blacks couldn’t even get an office job downtown.

I understand the impact that mass incarceration under America’s failed drug polices had on urban communities, with children left in fatherless and impoverished homes.

And I lived in the public housing developments that stacked misery upon misery.

But as Shari Runner, former CEO of the Chicago Urban League, pointed out in her rebuttal to Emanuel’s scold, “There’s no more religious…community than the African-American community.”

We prayed through.

We survived.

Some of us even thrived.

But far too many of us fell by the wayside, giving in to temptations that made mothers and fathers abandon their responsibilities to their families and to their communities.

Unfortunately, black leaders have been reluctant to broach this subject because they know they’ll be attacked the way a lone black conservative at a Democratic convention would be.

And it doesn’t help that too many whites, wrapped in a cloak of morality, point fingers at an entire community each time a black person commits a crime.

But no one blamed the family of Nikolas Cruz, the suspect in the Parkland, Florida, mass shooting that left 17 people dead, for failing to cultivate “faith” in his life.

When a 20-year-old white man killed his mother and 26 people, 20 of them children, at Sandy Hook Elementary School, there were no lectures about families not teaching “character” and “self-respect.”

And when a 23-year-old of Korean descent went on a rampage and killed 27 students and five teachers at Virginia Tech University, no one was ranting about the lack of “values” in the Korean-American or larger Asian community.

But after a particularly violent weekend end, I get plenty of emails about the lack of values in black neighborhoods.

“I return to the one and perhaps only place where crime can truly be prevented. That place lies in the home, in family structure, in morals and in community building and development,” one reader said in response to a column about drug prohibition and violence.

Because of the city’s racial history, Emanuel’s plea for a spiritual awakening isn’t likely to be well received in the communities that need it the most.

But that doesn’t mean the mayor is wrong.

We should call out the robbers, rapists, carjackers and shooters who are making life miserable for everyone else.

And we should remind parents they have a responsibility to raise children who respect themselves and others.

Instead of condemning the mayor, this is one time black leaders ought to be standing with him.

Because this is a message that should have been delivered by civil rights leaders, politicians, black historians, pastors, social workers, educators and activists a long, long time ago.

2. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Surprised this thread hasn't gotten more attention today, although perhaps it's because you guys have all been in church.

I'm curious how D&D denizens might compare Rahm Emanuel's arguments to this one from the other thread--or does Emanuel get a pass because he's a Democrat who worked for Obama?

jcf likes this.
  3. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

Conservative politicians have literally been pounding this rhetoric for over 20 years. It appears even today that those who need to hear it the most are still morally deaf.

I wonder how much more time, if any, is needed to persuade them of the truth in this message. Or the message of jobs and patriotism.

4. jcf

jcf Member

That is so funny -- stirring the pot.

When I first saw your post, I thought the same thing but figured I would keep my mouth shut given the "most racist post" accusations being tossed around in the other thread.

Probably should have (kept my mouth shut). Well done.

There was a portion of the article that did seem to imply that maybe the messenger and the intent of the messenger matters. I can see the latter; don't agree with the former.

5. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Mean this in a friendly way: it's because you're posting so many threads, so quickly, of such a narrow political perspective. When people gloss you the "new basso," it's not good. (Yes, even though you're branching out from The Federalist.)

On topic, I've never been an Emanuel fan and don't give two craps who worked for Obama. Emanuel has always struck me as a completely fake, sleazy political operative who is too many years removed from whatever integrity he had in his youth.

On topic, preaching about family and faith seems pretty hollow to me. Are family and faith helping poor white families with opioids? Nope.
    https://www.cbsnews.com/news/opioid-epidemic-leaving-grandparents-to-raise-grandchildren-60-minutes/
    Are they helping any of the droves of Americans who go bankrupt on hospital bills? Nope. Are they exploited for political ends ad nauseum? Oh, actually, yes, they are.

What is family when the bread winner is often on her or his own, balancing a bunch of underpaid, low-benefit part-time work just to pay half the bills every month? That's not the table setting for a leave-it-to-beaver sit down with the son who has a terrible school and sees no hope for his future if it isn't joining "the game" on the corners or the militia group under the sodium vapors of a exurban parking lot.

God damned but I am sick of all this dumb ****. Time for mandatory D&D sabbatical. Bye now.

#5 B-Bob, Aug 19, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2018
    Invisible Fan and JayGoogle like this.
  6. jcf

jcf Member

I'm not sure if there really is a disagreement here. Maybe I'm looking at this wrong.

OP posted the article (which did point out that having whites point fingers at an entire community is offensive or the lack of a similar response when a white individual commits a school shooting) and compared it to BTG's post regarding how growing up in a bad neighborhood can be a big barrier to success in life (my read of it).

You seem to be saying the same thing -- at least to that point. That there may not appear to be a lot of choices to a kid growing up in unfortunate circumstances other than "the game on the corner" or a "militia group."

Family can help in some situations -- your video is about grandparents raising their grandkids. I hope faith can help or comfort those who believe. Certainly, neither is a cure all.

I do think reinforcing the need for underprivileged communities to help themselves to the extent they can is important. I also agree with you that magic words won't cure all of the problems faced by the disadvantaged.

I'm just not sure where the strong difference in opinion is. (And I agree with you re: Emanuel.) This is not intended to irritate you further.

7. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

I don't want my local or federal government discussing any of these things.

8. Cohete Rojo

9. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

One of the rare times I agree with you.

I really don't want the government telling people what they can and can't do.

I don't see how you can actually approach this through the government...

All that can be done is build strong communities and fix problems at the local level for each area. I think a lot of that gets overlooked, that a lot of people do try to help, but people overlook it. Like there are tons of organizations in Chicago that help young kids. Also, Black Americans on average, in particular, are pretty damn religious, they have the same Christian values as most of America. I think people really underestimate how hard it is to get out of a bad area and all the temptations you have to dodge.

But I think when we start getting the local government to tell people not to have kids out of wedlock and stuff...nah, this ain't that kind of country. Strong pass on that.

Looks like you missed the point of the article boss. That's PART of the problem, as the article states.

The bootstrap message only works for those that have boots. You can keep crying about culture as if Black people believe in some far away strange God, watch different movies, or listen to different music. Black people culturally are the same as white Americans. I dare anyone to challenge me on this ____. Go on about your strong Christian values when black americans are on average hardcore bible thumpers.

What is culturally different from White Americans and Black Americans? Make a list. Let's go through the differences.

jcf likes this.
  10. Cohete Rojo

Straight from the end of the article: Instead of condemning the mayor, this is one time black leaders ought to be standing with him.

And one of the big differences between blacks and all other racial groups is family abandonment by black fathers. Not a whole lot of paternal abandonment going on in the Asian and White communities. You know, those communities that live within a patriarchal society.

11. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

They have been saying this for over 50 years. This columnist clearly is pretty ignorant. It takes more than words to fix problems.

12. Granville

Granville Member

Fixed it for you,

13. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

And do you think black people teach paternal abandonment? Because that's what you imply by saying it is cultural. Paternal abandonment is not part of any black culture bro, it's that **** happens

The issue with this is, they do. You're just not around to listen.

Also what the article said...

When you start blaming white culture for its mass shooters then maybe we can talk, until that point, you're not helping. It'll be better for you to shut up and listen.

Unfortunately, you've been doing nothing but parrot toxic WN talking points so I have little faith in having a conversation with this about you.

14. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

It absolutely is taught, by example. The idea of b****ass men getting women pregnant and running out on them is taught to children every day that they are raised fatherless....every day that most of their friends are raised fatherless. It's not something that the b****ass men who do so are called out for very often.....it's just viewed as "**** happens". Imagine the world we'd live in if other things like domestic violence, murder, or rape were viewed as nothing more than "**** happens".

Being fair, this isn't just an issue in the black community, it's a problem every community in the US is facing at higher levels, it's just the worst in the black community and is actively responsible for the level of poverty faced by that community. Basically the repercussions of it are being felt the most in that community which is what makes it more pressing.

15. Cohete Rojo

Something more than “**** happens” is going on.

16. Nook

Nook Member

Ha! Good ole Rahm once again trying to deflect blame for the issues in Chicago. He does this every time there is criticism... it was the prior mayor’s actions... it is because of federal cuts, it is because of Springfield, it is because of the police, it is because we don’t support Chicago officers... it is because of the the Chicago school teachers... it is because we don’t support school teachers in Chicago.

This is standard operating procedure for Rahm whenever there is media or public pressure put on his administration. He finds a scape goat, and deflects.

17. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

That's not just Rahm, that's what mayors of Chicago have been doing for the last 87 years of nothing but DNC mayors.

18. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Nope, it isn't taught, or maybe you think when black people go to church that the pastor teaches dads to run out on children.

It actually is **** happens, because every case is different. Some fatherless homes are not meant to be that way, but the envrionment makes it that way.

LOL a rap lyric, how utterly predictable. You do know that Jay-z's main audience, as with most popular rappers, is white people right? White people are the main consumers of rap music.

You could also find literally thousands of counterexamples in rap. Thousands. Will you quote those too? Will you be able to do so? My guess is no, but this is your rather tired talking point, just surprised the old "RAP MUSIC!" thing came out so quickly.

Jay-z actually talked about this particular lyric, as, this song was a hit...heard by millions of Americans and probably millions of people around the globe.

Again, if you think this is the reason behind fatherless homes I don't know what else to tell you. Not much else. Someone clearly doesn't know entertainment from reality.

So, when do we talk about white culture and how it produces mass shooters?

edwardc likes this.
  19. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I think you and I both know that church has nothing to do with it and I can only assume that you are being disingenuous pretending to not understand what is being said.

20. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Say what you want to say, it is being taught, by who?

Culture, being part of a culture means it is being endorsed. By who? Who is endorsing it, who is actually literally teaching it? Names, examples, at least @Cohete Rojo gave me that.

Otherwise, you are throwing out talking points with little substance.