1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Astros Trade option(s)

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by ZeroPoint, Apr 14, 2017.

1. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Greg Holland got dfa'd. Worth a flier?

2. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Would rather try Shawn Kelley

Nook likes this.
  3. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

[​IMG]

houstonstime likes this.
  4. raining threes

Is Alvarez?

I would guess yes.

5. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

Small counterpoint: Tucker had amassed ~1,650 PAs when he was promoted, more than Bregman (679), Springer (~1,200) and Correa (~1,200). Granted, Bregman and Springer played college ball and were older - but Correa hadn't. Tucker was also nearly a year older than Correa when they both made their debuts.

6. Nook

Nook Member

Correa was also a better prospect than Tucker.

Correa was producing for the Astros during the regular season so it wasn't a stretch to think that he would produce in the playoffs.

Correa had 400+ plate appearances in the regular season and produced almost a 5 WAR season.

I just do not think it is realistic to expect a rookie, called up 100 games into a season, at a young age to be ready to be a starter in the playoffs. It has happened before, but not that common.

It isn't a knock on Tucker, I expect him to be the starting corner outfielder next season and to be in the heart of the order.

7. Hey Now!

Eh........... I think that's revisionist history. I mean, maybe? But not by much - Tucker is a highly-regarded prospect.

Had the Astros actually *played* Tucker regularly, he would've amassed ~300 PAs prior to the playoffs. I know you're not, but your responses read like I'm advocating them promoting him August 31 and then sticking him, essentially sight-unseen, in the starting line-up for game 1 of the ALDS.

Nook likes this.
  8. Nook

Nook Member

I have to disagree with you, Correa was certainly a better prospect that Tucker is right now.

Correa only had a little over 200 at bats between AA/AAA and he jumped to the big leagues and produced a WAR of almost 5.

Wulaw Horn likes this.
  9. Hey Now!

His eventual MLB performance has no bearing on his status as an elite prospect, though. That's being retroactive.

10. Baseballa

Baseballa Member

Keith Law had Correa as the #1 prospect in baseball. He was universally top 3 no matter what source you reference.

Tucker is an elite prospect, but trying to claim he is on the same tier as 2015 Correa is truly revisionist history.

raining threes and Wulaw Horn like this.
  11. Hey Now!

This Keith Law?

I mean, I'm not necessarily disagreeing that Correa was *better* - but it doesn't invalidate Tucker's status. Also, Correa's status was rooted in his position.

12. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Phillies getting Justin Bour and cash for a prospect not even in their Top 30. That’s crazy and a great deal for Phillies, wish Houston would’ve been able to get him.

13. HTown2017Champs

Wow! Bour has been solid, and has a lot of control left. I though for sure they'd either keep him as a building block, or demand a lot more. Even more surprising, they dealt him within the division for next to nothing! A total shocker. Another bat would still be nice for us. I'd look into Cutch, and see if the Jays are willing to trade Smoak. or maaaybe Granderson. Dietrich is another option. Still want to go after Realmuto this offseason.

14. Mr.Pringles

Mr.Pringles Member

The Realmuto thing may be off the table. Jeter just said in an interview he plans on keeping him around for the rebuild.

15. HTown2017Champs

Sadly, that's probably true. His talent would be wasted on a team that likely won't go anywhere for another 3 years or so, but maybe they think they'll contend sooner than expected? Though I really think the Phillies absolutely robbed the Marlins in the Bour trade.
    Maldonado seems more like a #2 catcher. Maybe him and Stubbs will be a solid platoon option? Stubbs has been hitting well enough in AAA to warrant a September call up, IMO.