1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

Zach Lowe: Rockets inquired about JR Smith, also talked to the Heat

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by lionaire, Jul 31, 2018.

1. Codman

Codman Contributing Member

JR is a maturing knucklehead. He took rough shots in Cleveland. I think he'd be much better here, but I'm not a big fan.

If he could be our Sweet Lou and streak some buckets in, that would be nice.

I'd take Jamal Crawford for that if given the choice though...

Either way, I hope he stops untying shoes. Well, he can do whatever he wants to GS and the Donkey. Compromise.

slothy420, Deuce, itzIce and 8 others like this.
  2. J.R.

J.R. Member

[​IMG]

lionaire likes this.
  3. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

‘Our’ Stevenson (sigh); cheaper, fearless version of Ryno. What could go wrong?

But - - JRS is buds with CP3 and Melo so there is that. I suppose.

But, but - - how to fill 48mpg @The 4?

Health, C’man.

Codman likes this.
  4. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

I believe JR can't play the Lou role anymore. I think the Cavs want to move him. Adding players, or a pick for him, would weaken the Rockets, even at the expense of moving RA. I don't think DM will do that.
    Getting a reliable 3/D player is very important.

Codman likes this.
  5. Vivi

Vivi Member

J.R and Jamaal are done chukcers at this point, we have already Gerald which is basically the same kind of player but cheaper and better all around.

izeroi, lionaire, BigggReddd and 2 others like this.
  6. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

What was the last guy of consequence that Morey added to the Rockets that wasn't discussed in the media before we got him?

7. JW86

JW86 Member

You're still not getting it. At some point, it's going to come out and then it's pretty much a done deal or close. But these 'breaking' stories of Morey chasing x or Rockets want x in early discussions when it comes to trades in particular are usually not the guys we end up with.

8. JW86

JW86 Member

I'd have no problem with JR, if it weren't for the fact that we already have Gordon and Gerald Green. The latter is already in that mold of throwing up bad shots, so no thanks.

9. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

I mean you would know better than me, but like I was saying earlier in the thread, I have a hard time believing Morey is interested in JR Smith for any other reason than to facilitate a trade since the last year of his contract is minimally guaranteed making him a psuedo expiring. There isn't a Hou-Cle trade scenario I could even imagine where Cleveland could get off of Smith's contract without adding to their luxury tax - their sole motivation has to be to get players off the team so they aren't paying the luxury tax on that sorry roster.

jch1911 likes this.
  10. LabMouse

LabMouse Member

JR and Melo can not mix well on one team. The rockets do not need more cancers.

11. jch1911

jch1911 Member

i think I get it now. Morey is a MFn genius.
    After learning that JR has a $4M buy out next season - effectively making him an expiring contract - his desirability goes from toxic to somewhat appealing.
    I could see the Rox trading for JR & Korver.
    Then you have JR's contract + $5M cash + possibly a 1st round pick to send to a new team for a player that helps you knock off GSW.

Something like...
    Anderson + 2020 HOU 2nd (GSW?) + 2021 HOU 2nd + rights to Edwards + rights to Llull to CLE for JR Smith & Korver.
    Cleveland picks up assets while shaving $2M off salary. Korver was almost traded to Philly for a 1st. Two seconds and a promising young player sounds like more than a 1st in terms of value.

Then at the trade deadline, you can offer J.R. Smith + a 2019 1st to a team not doing so well and trying to shave some salary (or pick up a 1st round pick)
    Kent Bazemore (ATL)
    DeMarre Carroll (BRK)
    Marvin Williams (CHA)
    Thaddeus Young (IND)
    James Johnson (MIA)
    Tobias Harris (LAC)
    TREVOR ARIZA (PHO) That may even be JR Smith straight up for Threeza

If you have eyes on a bigger prize and these guys start making a stink about wanting to be some place else... you could pursue:

Jimmy Buckets (JR + Korver + Melton + 2019 1st + 2021 1st) Cap relief. Outside shooter. Up & coming rookie. 2 1st round picks.
    Paul Millsap (JR + Korver + MCW + 2019 1st) Cap relief. Replace their 1st.
    Otto Porter Jr. (JR + Korver + 2019 1st + 2021 1st) Cap relief. Add 2 1st round picks. Another outside shooter to pair with Beal

Lots of options! :)

12. justtxyank

Again, who was the last example of a guy Morey got that there wasn’t media speculation weeks in advance for?

13. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

As the great Earl Smith Jr once said:

Hennything is possible

jch1911 likes this.
  14. zcarenow

zcarenow Member

any update on any rumor?

15. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

James Harden. Harden being moved was talked about, because OKC wouldn't pay the man what he thought he was worth (they blew it, because he was worth what he got, obviously). That he would be dealt to Houston was like a bolt from the blue, wasn't it?

Reeko, jch1911 and justtxyank like this.
  16. justtxyank

Right that’s the last example and it was a long time ago. That’s my point. The last several years the media is pretty plugged in with the rockets

17. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

There are others, but that's all I'm giving you. :)

18. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

Bazemore doesn't want to be the 8th man off the bench - having Shump's expiring will be useful to keep us out of the LT

19. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

Melo and JR?

Is Morey hell bent on building a low basketball IQ team?

J.R. likes this.
  20. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

Thank you - this is what I have been trying to get people to understand several times in this thread. JR as an expiring is a chip in the trade game. That being said, I don't necessarily agree with the trade proposal you mentioned because I can't see Cleveland wanting Anderson because it would shave a little bit of money off of this year's tax bill but would add money to their cap space next year when they could have cut Smith for the tax savings....but in theory I think we agree - Morey is looking to recruit Smith/Cleveland as a 3rd team to facilitate a different trade to unload Anderson elsewhere.

jch1911 likes this.