1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Astros Trade for Roberto Osuna

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by mikol13, Jul 30, 2018.

1. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

When have the Astros - or, really, any Houston sports team - exploited the market by buying low on a player currently serving the second-longest domestic violence suspension in league history? It's.... gross & craven, as was the Astros' response.

This regime is guided by a winning cures all philosophy; it fueled their burning the franchise to the ground initially (which, no quibbles - they had to do), reactions be damned. They've always been cutthroat and cold-blooded (just wait ti lthey start jettisoning core members of this team). But this feels like they lost sight of that human element they spend the entirety of AstroBall searching for.

It's.... yuck.

2. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

What did he do, exactly? I'm not condoning anything, just curious. There's a range here.

3. Major

Major Member

If that's true, then why did you post an opinion? Why did you not consider your own advice and shut up yourself? Is your opinion worth more for some reason than others?

4. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

So you essentially have made your mind up based on the amount of suspension time, from a reactionary association trying to save face, not actual facts on the case? There’s no possible way to have a rational opinion on this specific case...yet. There are no facts divulged at the current time. So why not wait for the cloud to clear before making assumptions?

chievous minniefield likes this.
  5. Buck Turgidson

My opinion holds more weight than yours. At least that's what I think.

AleksandarN and Smacktle like this.
  6. Major

Major Member

Who I am not allowing to be lenient? Where have I - or anyone offended - said you have to be offended or upset too? I only see one side telling others how to feel and calling people hypocrites and such.

So just to be clear, you've never made any judgments about anyone without all the facts? You've never thought negatively about anyone before a conviction in a court case?

7. Hey Now!

Thanks; but I would like to reply - actually, I want to ask you a question: if you knew, for a fact, a domestic violence survivor was a frequent poster in this forum, would you still post it?

Sure - dark, morose humor... I sincerely get that. But it also serves to devolve the conversation rather than evolve it. There's literally nothing funny about domestic violence.

8. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

I'm disgusted by your disgust.

You're convicting him based on suspension time. Without knowing anything specific. That's... yuck... and gross... and craven.... and certainly losing sight of that human element.

9. Nook

Nook Member

The Astros bought low on Carl Everett after he abused his children. The abuse allegations came out and the next year he was in Houston as a buy low candidate.

The Astros bought low on Pedro Astacio as well. Less than a year after punching his wife in her pregnant stomach, he was on the mound for the Astros pitching meaningful games for the Astros during their playoff stretch run.

This "human element" has always been secondary to winning big. You can try to parse language or make small distinctions about "during an investigation" or "buying low" but the facts are that the Astros have traded for players that had done terrible things because they felt they would help them win and the cost was lower because they were criminals. We saw the same exact thing with the Cubs trading for Aroldis Chapman two years ago. Theo Epstein trotted out the same BS about having not compromised their integrity and how Chapman was sorry and they spoke with him before making the deal.

As for the suspension being the second longest suspension. Some of that very well could be that MLB received a lot of heat for not disciplining players in the past. Hell, Brett Myers started a game 20 hours after beating his wife. Astacio and Everett received no discipline. Milton Bradley did horrible things with almost no consequences. The new domestic violence policy was agreed with less than three years ago. So it isn't as easy as saying that it is the second longest because the policy has existed for for about two seasons.

I am not defending Osuna. I think that he is a scumbag and likely hit his girlfriend and may have really hurt her. However the coverage he is getting is not consistent with other cases of domestic violence and the outrage isn't consistent with other behaviors that have been tolerated.

If you want there to be even stronger punishment from the MLB office, I am fine with that. I just think to have it be on a team by team basis isn't realistic.

10. Major

Major Member

Yeah, I mean, NO ONE ever has felt more strongly about something when it happened to them personally. Really? Unless I'm confusing people, you yourself used your background and experience as a prosecutor to argue your thoughts on the topic.

The only thing I really gather from yours posts is that you seem to have very little awareness about human nature and yet think you know the reasons everyone believes or does the things they do.

11. Hey Now!

A third party called police; Osuna was arrested and charged with assault; MLB handed down the second-longest domestic violence-related suspension in league history; Osuna did not appeal the second-longest domestic violence-related suspension in league history.

But, sure - let's wait for "facts."

12. Major

Major Member

Yes, similarly, we treat white supremecists and bigots differently than we did in the past. The outrage of the recent MLB twitter feeds is also different than it would have been 10 or 30 years ago had Twitter been around. If you think people and the world never changes and anyone who does is a hypocrite, fine - then you're just weird. But otherwise, the argument seems irrelevant.

13. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Yeah, it's more expected for the Raiders or Cowboys to recruit guys who have talent, regardless of what thugs they are. With the Astros, this could be a new low. Very unexpected.

14. Nook

Nook Member

Yes.... in the last 24 months the world has massively evolved....

[​IMG]

15. Nimo

Nimo Member

Just imagine if someone went to jail for assault on someone you know, and they get a job offer before they even finish serving the sentence. You would be outraged. And that outrage will likely be directed at the company who offered him the job.

One thing a lot of people are missing is that the national media feels like Osuna is somewhat being rewarded. He allegedly hit a woman, got suspended, but yet ended up with the defending champs with a good chance to win a title so soon after the incident. I think there would have been less uproar if this trade occurred in 2019. Aside from lost income, he might actually be benefiting from the situation. And the Astros are the team providing that benefit.

No one in the organization should be surprised about the reaction. I think they expected it and felt it was still worth it in the end.

tierre_brown likes this.
  16. Buck Turgidson

I don't know about "on this forum", but I have dealt with it first-hand, i.e. moving a first cousin out of a house in San Marcos while her dad and I and another uncle had a shotgun and baseball bats to keep him at bay. Fun times, but I will say that none of us have ever seen him again.

17. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

What do you think should be the appropriate sentence (baseball wise) for him?

Lifetime ban?

Double lifetime ban?

He's getting a 2nd chance because other than the most violent crime offenders, this happens.

Buck Turgidson and Nook like this.
  18. Buck Turgidson

Isn't that the whole point of rehabilitation?

And yes, if you must know, I've hired parolees to do labor and help them learn skills while fulfilling their community service hours.

19. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

#MeToo

It is about sexual assault/harassment, but I think it factors in. Outrage definitely seems to vary though. Passan's article basically saying a bunch of terrible stuff circulating through baseball, but yet nobody seems to be writing about those, which confuses me. If Passan knows something, why hasn't he or anyone else for that matter been reporting on it?

Nook likes this.
  20. Nimo

Nimo Member

I think you missed the point of my post. It wasn't about the suspension itself. It was about someone trading for him while still suspended. I think it would have "looked better" if he came back from suspension, said his humble apologies and played till people got used to him playing before getting the "benefit" of going to a better team.