1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Astros Trade for Roberto Osuna

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by mikol13, Jul 30, 2018.

1. Major

Major Member

To clarify, he's requesting a peace bond. No word if the prosecutor or court will go for it. It's like a defendant requesting probation.

2. Mr.Pringles

Mr.Pringles Member

Can’t believe taking adderall or some kinda stimulant warrants a longer suspension

3. Major

Major Member

Those suspensions are more specifically defined by the drug policy - there's no leeway there. DV suspensions are more arbitrary, and at least theoretically based on the details of the circumstances. The two aren't really comparable.

The Beard and Hey Now! like this.
  4. RockFanFirst

RockFanFirst Member

Agree.

Clearly, the penalty has gotten progressively worse (for the accused) since Chapman received his suspension. The crime doesn't have to be more heinous now to receive a stiffer penalty than what Chapman received 2 years ago. MLB is protecting their brand and coming down harder on the accused now vs. then. There is nothing wrong with that.

5. Nook

Nook Member

Dear Astros fan:

Thank you for being an Astros fan for 30 years.

I have to ask you a few questions though.

Did you stop being an Astros fan after the Astros traded for Brett Myers? I have to ask because Brett Myers bashed his wife's face like a pinata outside Fenway Park in 2006. Myers played for the Astros a few years later.

Did you stop being an Astros fan after the Astros traded for Pedro Astasio? He punched his pregnant wife in the stomach? I have to ask because one year later he was starting on the mound for the Astros.

I also have to ask why you remained an Astros fan after Carl Everett joined the team? To refresh your memory, Carl Everett's child was covered in bruises and Carl was accused of child abuse before joining the Astros. Later Carl would pull a loaded gun and put it to his ex-wife's head but he was no longer an Astro player by that point.

So please explain to me why you remained an Astros fan over the years with so many thuggish players on the roster, but now have decided to perhaps no longer be a fan.

It wouldn't have anything to do with media rage, would it?

So in short, you have been supporting terrible people associated with the Astros for decades.

Go ahead and find a new team to support..... but beware, they will have a dirty past as well.
    "

6. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

I didn't stop being a fan but I didn't follow the team during those years, so they didn't get a dime from me during those seasons. The message it sends my kids is more important to me than some wins.

Hey Now! likes this.
  7. jim1961

jim1961 Member

There is nothing wrong with that except it doesn't work as it pertains to prevention. Stiffer penalties for wrongdoing have a very limited affect when it comes to violent crime. What the commissioners penalty might be is likely the furthest thing from the mind of the perpetrator while the alleged crime is being committed.

#587 jim1961, Aug 1, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2018
  8. Major

Major Member

I've never understood arguments like this. Maybe his morality changed over the years. Maybe he was a kid during some of those earlier incidents and never knew. Maybe he's more aware of DV issues today in general. Maybe as society has stood up to things like this more, so has he. Maybe he has more of an outlet today than he did then to speak out. There could be any number of reasons someone reacts differently to something today than in the past.

Would you be OK with a white supremecist on the team today? Or someone who is outspoken about how gay people should be jailed or killed? Because the Astros probably had some of those guys in the 60's too, but I suspect most of us wouldn't be OK with it today. And fans back in the day may not have spoken up while they might today.

Society and morality changes over time. People do also. I don't see the issue with people having become less tolerant of or more outspoken against DV today than 10 or 20 years ago.

tierre_brown and kaleidosky like this.
  9. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

What's going to be his entrance song when he comes in to close games?

Got to like the highlights though:

10. Major

Major Member

11. Rock Block

Rock Block Sorta here sometimes
    Supporting Member

Olney has not been consistent on this issue when it comes to certain teams.....he was not near the critic when the Yankees picked up Chapman BUT he went way out of his way to be sure he wrote that the Dodgers should avoid Chapman at all costs when they were trying to trade for him. Thanks to this trade it looks like we've become the Southern Evil Empire for a while now...

12. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

Yeah; he just beat the **** out of his girlfriend. I mean, seriously - what's the big deal? We've all done it, amirite? (extends hand for high five; chugs a beer.)

13. Nook

Nook Member

Okay, but it didn't bother you enough to not ever be a fan again? So do the Astros get a probation period before you become a fan again? Is it 6 months for a DUI? How does that work.

14. RockFanFirst

RockFanFirst Member

I don't disagree. The penalty is strictly a punishment, not a deterrent.

15. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

*She* - a female wrote it, and the line of people to prove what a vile piece of **** they are after reading this section (if they read it all) is heartbreaking:
    YEAH BUT BRETT MYERS, AMIRITE?????!!

My god...

Major likes this.
  16. J.R.

J.R. Member

Jose Altuve says Astros will 'be on the same page' when Roberto Osuna joins team

SEATTLE — In his first comments since the Astros' acquisition of Roberto Osuna, second baseman Jose Altuve said the team will "be on the same page" after the embattled reliever joins the club in Los Angeles this weekend.

"It's really hard for me to get behind a mic and a camera and just fire up a guy when I don't have an idea what really happened," Altuve said. "Some time when things like that happen, you are so focused on the game that you don't pay attention. But now he's one of our teammates, so now you have to be paying attention of the details. He's going to be here any time soon, I don't know when, and after that happens, we're all going to find out what happened. We're a team, so everything we do, we're going to be on the same page."

Asked if he had any concerns of how Osuna's presence could impact the clubhouse, Altuve acknowledged it was a "tough question."

"We all know that this conversation is a little bit hard for me," Altuve said. "I think it's OK if I don't know what to say because, like I said, I don't know what happened. It's really hard to say something about something that you don't know what's going on."

Altuve is the only known player contacted by general manager Jeff Luhnow, who said Monday he reached out to "several" members of the team and coaching staff before completing the controversial trade.

"When you have a conversation with your general manager, you're only available to answer whatever he asks you, you can't go further than that," said Altuve, who is on the 10-day DL with knee soreness. "You can not talk about this or that, you only can answer what he asks you. I did and I think that's between him and me, it's tough to come here and say whatever Jeff talked to me (about)."

Osuna will soon venture to an Astros' minor league affiliate for an outing prior to his activation. Manager A.J. Hinch had no clarity on a destination or timetable on Wednesday.

17. Buck Turgidson

18. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

Y’all keep saying this knowing they violated two totally different rules. It’s not a legit comparison and you know it

If you want to say mlb has their priorities wrong fine, but comparing Osuna to Whitley because they were both suspended for different things is just being hard headed hoping others will click “like” for you

Hey Now! likes this.
  19. jim1961

jim1961 Member

20. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

Remember when Donte Stallworth killed someone while driving drunk and nothing happened to him?