1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Astros Trade option(s)

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by ZeroPoint, Apr 14, 2017.

1. Nippystix

Nippystix Member

We have to start saving up now, since Wilson Ramos is going to cost us $38M per year, on an 8 year deal. We got this.

donkeypunch, Nook and J.R. like this.
  2. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Whitley will likely be in next year’s rotation, so they just need 1 starter. McHugh has been so good in relief that I doubt they want to mess with it. Bringing Morton back seems to make the most sense to me.

If McHugh stays in the bullpen then there is only 1 slot, and that’s assuming they reject Will Harris’s option. They will either keep Harris or have an open competition among internal options. Although there will be several elite relievers available.

I think the best way to address Marwins departure is to use a combination of Gurriel and White. They are both pretty good hitters and can play 3-4 positions. I also think Kemp has solidified his roster spot. I prefer him as a bench player but either way he deserves to be on the roster. And Tucker is too good of a prospect to not give him an extended look, so he’s gotta be the LF next year. So that leaves 2 spots they need to address: catcher, and a bat (who hopefully can play in the field). A perfect offseason for me would mean adding Realmuto, Dietrich, Morton, and Britton. To me that would result in one of the most talented rosters in mlb history.

3. SKYGODZ187

SKYGODZ187 Member

Shawn Kelley DFA by the Nats

Good player

4. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

The playoffs are literally two full months away, and the Astros look like they'll be in at least a modest dog fight for the division. If they'd stop jerking him around and just plant his ass in LF each & every night, there is nothing on his resume to suggest Kyle Tucker wouldn't be a tremendous asset come October.

5. Nook

Nook Member

Nothing on his resume? You mean other than being a 21 years old rookie that had a solid but not great .860 OPS in a heavily offensive heavy AAA league?

Kyle Tucker is not a can't miss prospect. He is a very good prospect, and will likely be a long term solution for the Astros at a corner outfield spot. However asking a 21 year old rookie, that has struggled in the big leagues thus far to be a "tremendous asset" in the playoffs (2 months away) is not a reasonable expectation in my opinion. It is great when it happens, but expecting it is foolish.

mikol13, Snake Diggit and jim1961 like this.
  6. torque

torque Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Yes, and frankly for all the comparisons with Bregman's slow start...Tucker is not Bregman. Bregman was the #1 prospect in all of baseball and demolished every level of the minors he played at.

7. Projecks15

Projecks15 Member

I agree about Tucker. Juan Soto is a can’t miss prospect and he’s younger than Tucker. In fact even Harper is expendable because of Soto potential. I’m just hoping Tucker is half the player he is this season

8. Amshirvani

Amshirvani Contributing Member

So now we think tucker sucks and wasn’t a great prospect? I can’t keep up with you gusy

9. Nook

Nook Member

Who thinks he sucks?

10. jim1961

jim1961 Member

o_O

11. Hey Now!

He's literally hit at every single level of baseball. In his final 49 AAA games before call-up, he slashed .350/.409/.614 with 12 HR, 20 2B and just a 15% K Rate. Slow starts at each level have been common and are routine for most baseball players. There's nothing to suggest, if given time, he wouldn't make MLB adjustments.

"Can't miss"? Silly standard. They can ALL miss.

Kyle Tucker was the 5th overall pick in his draft and has routinely appeared at the top of respected prospect lists for, what? The past two years, at least? The Astros have had him on a no-trade list, for heaven's sake. He is among the very best prospects in all of baseball. You have no basis to retroactively downgrade his status.

Given that pedigree, Kyle Tucker should, at 21 - with enough MLB playing time - be a better bat than Tony Kemp, JD Davis, Travis White, Jake Marisnick, and the 2018 version of Marwin Gonzalez.

12. Hey Now!

Right? He was on a no-trade list one-year ago today; untouchable in the eyes of one of baseball's best front offices Now, he struggles in 42 MLB ABs and suddenly he's not a "can't miss" prospect? Whatever.

raining threes likes this.
  13. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Bregman was a 4 year college player, who only spent 1 year in the minors.

And even then, he was WORSE than Tucker was to start his career.

Tucker is very good chance to be better than any expectations that were originally attached to Bregman, and then some.

14. Mr.Pringles

Mr.Pringles Member

Don’t like optioning Tucker yet especially for Jake. Don’t see why he couldn’t get more experience or a chance to finally break out.

Had a couple weeks before the waiver deadline to get a better feel of if he can be a force in 2018. Now it’s done and the Astros must acquire a starting LF’er

15. Hey Now!

Seriously, @Nook - how are you passing up this opportunity? Marisnick and Gonzalez have combined for three homers this afternoon, LOL......

Nook likes this.
  16. Nook

Nook Member

HA Because we don't really disagree...... I just think that Tucker needs more time than a few months. I think he will get the starting left field job in the spring and not let it go.

Also when I say "cant miss" I am talking about guys like Miguel Cabrera, Andruw Jones and a few others that were ready to go straight from the minors to starting for a WS team right out of the box. There aren't many of them out there. Kyle Tucker is a very good prospect, but not that type of player.

raining threes and Snake Diggit like this.
  17. Buck Turgidson

Tucker knows what MLB pitching is like, and how he's going to get pitched. He gets to work on some things for a few weeks (eta: while getting constant ABs) and then come back up Sept 1, like I said, same with Col Perez. Both of those guys will help the team later.

HTown2017Champs likes this.
  18. CheezeyBoy22

CheezeyBoy22 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Are players already being put on waivers? Haven't seen much posted or online about players being put on waivers .

19. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

You would think we have learned that the deadline really isn't over.

Rockets FTW and Buck Turgidson like this.
  20. htownbball

htownbball Member

Just seemed like Tucker, as even keeled as he is, was trying to do too much at the plate and kind of got out of what made him a really good hitter. His approach seemed to change each at bat. Sometimes he would swing too freely and looked completely lost, other times he looked like he had a really good idea at the plate and understood what the pitcher was trying to do. There were some flashes and he hit the ball very hard at times and just ran into some bad luck. I think he just needs to get back within himself, find some success in AAA again and get back to doing what made him a top prospect. He'll make the adjustments, I'm not too worried. He's struggled before in the minors and pulled himself back up, now he'll need to do it in the majors.

Rockets FTW and HTown2017Champs like this.