1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

(Windhorst) Rockets active in the trade market

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DaBeard, Jul 27, 2018.

1. DM'sVP

DM'sVP Member

IDK why people are so eager to trade Ryno for a contract that is even worse than his... So the Rockets can get a crappy 2nd round pick back? So you have another even bigger problem/player to complain about? I mean Bazemore is ok bc its a little less money and he's pretty young with potential. But Batum... HELL NO! His contract and injury history are horrible.

2. MaxRider

MaxRider Member

Hell no to Batum. I'll settle for Bazemore or Marvin Williams if we aren't giving up to much. Anderson was decent before the injury. Was still doing alright after returning from injury and coming off the bench. He never got his rhythm back in the playoff.

hakeem94 likes this.
  3. hooroo

hooroo Member

Kerr said it himself on that segment or mini-show where they have a group of former NBA players (Webber, Kerr, Hill, McHale, Brent Barry, Shaq?, and others) hold a round table discussion. It's the one where they all wear neat casuals, dim the studio lights, and there's no desk or table.

heypartner likes this.
  4. rockets13champs

We’re a much better team next year with Bazemore than we were in 2017-18

JVL713, lionaire and hakeem94 like this.
  5. HealthyHamstring

(Yes, this trade does work financially and even more importantly, on the ESPN Trade Machine)

There is no practicality to this trade idea, but I thought it was interesting, so here it goes

Houston gets:
    James Johnson
    Kent Bazemore

Houston trades:
    Ryan Anderson (ATL)
    Nene (ATL)
    Zhou XI (ATL)
    Chinanu Onuaku (SAC)
    2nd Round Pick 2019 (SAC)

Atlanta gets:
    Ryan Anderson
    Nene
    Zhou XI

Atlanta trades:
    Kent Bazemore (HOU)
    Miles Plumlee (MIA)

Miami gets:
    Iman Shumpert
    Miles Plumlee

Miami trades:
    James Johnson (HOU)
    Dion Waiters (SAC)
    2019 2nd Round Pick (SAC)

Sacramento gets:
    Dion Waiters
    Chinanu Onuaku
    Houston 2nd Round Pick 2019
    Miami 2nd Round Pick 2019

Sacramento trades:
    Iman Shumpert (MIA)

Reasoning for Each Team:

Atlanta:

The main benefit of this trade is shedding the 2/25 left on Miles Plumlee's deal. The Anderson for Bazemore straight up is a wash financially, so essentially they would be replacing Miles Plumlee 2/25 with Nene's 2/7.2 and Zhou Xi's 1/1.4 financially speaking.
    While giving up Bazemore for Anderson straight up does not seem like a win for Atlanta, the difference is not significant enough that getting rid of Plumlee's deal while getting back a young prospect at a position of need and a bench mentor (If he doesnt get bought out). Therefore in this hypothetical, I think ATL would do the deal.

Miami:

This is the hardest sell of all, but let me explain. THIS IS NOT A BASKETBALL MOVE. Waiters and Johnson make a combined
    $82,348,000 (!!!) over the next 3 seasons (both deals are for 3 years). On the flipside, Shumpert and Plumlee make a combed $36,000,000 over the next 2 seasons. In this hypothetical trade scenario, here is how much cap space Miami would be saving over the next 3 seasons

2018/2019: $2,701,700
    2019/2020: $14,949,400
    2020/2021: $28,697,100

Keep in mind that future cap flexibility is more of a goal for Miami than almost any other team in the league due to their status as a "premier" free agency destination. So while the product on the court would take a little bit of a hit, Miami would be foolish not to open up this much cap space for the likes of James Johnson and Dion Waiters (somewhat of a wash with Shumpert). Plus both of these players contracts are way easier to trade (in case they wanted more immediate cap relief) than Johnson and Waiters contracts.

Sacramento:

This one is somewhat simple. They were looking for a play-making wing this offseason so it would make sense if Waiters was an attractive option for them. So they are getting a young Center (fits their timeline and need) and 2 2nd round picks for taking on the final two years of Dion Waiters contract. Considering the Kings have more future cap space than any team in the league and are not a good FA destination, this should be a no brainer for them.

Houston:

Yeah the financial burden is a lot, and we would be giving up 2 young prospects and a future draft pick, but man think about the rotation you could run out there. Considering our timeline currently (2 years probably, 3 is everything goes super well), there is no other choice but to go all in. I wouldnt want to sit here in 2 years and go "We needed one more piece but we had to keep Zhou XI". Sorry, I don't fall into that camp. Plus, because of the Hartenstein's development and the promise he has shown, that makes Zhou and Chinanu more expendable anyways. Imagine an extended rotation of

Paul/EG
    Harden/Green
    Tucker/Bazemore/Ennis
    Melo/Johnson
    Capela/Hartenstein

Now obviously that would not be our playoff rotation as Hartenstein and probably one more (Green I would guess) fall out. But with these two guys, it provides a crazy amount of lineup flexibility and would even allow us to play small ball 5 with Tucker and Johnson for every minute that Capela is not on the court. I think the playoff rotation below could win a championship.

Paul/Gordon
    Harden/Gordon/Bazemore/Green
    Tucker/Bazemore/Green
    Melo/Johnson/Tucker
    Capela/Tucker/Johnson

ilias, SLRokJok, joshuaao and 2 others like this.
  6. Nook

Nook Member

Steve Kerr has said the decision to add Shaq was his decision and it was a poor decision....... he also admitted that his Suns teams were not good enough, and he didn't know how else to improve them so he dealt for Shaq.

Deuce likes this.
  7. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

bazemore is one year younger than batum btw

8. Vivid

Vivid Member

Batum and Bazemore are both 29.

9. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

I was gonna correct it but it wasn't worth the time to click the edit button.

10. RHU525

RHU525 Member
    Supporting Member

Bazemore is a 6’5” shooting guard. And we have James Harden and Eric Gordon and Gerald Green. We don’t need a shooting guard. We need a SF. Batum was once a borderline all star. Harden and Paul have proven to bring out the best in players. He was asked to be a primary playmaker in Charlotte which brings down your percentages. He would be amazing for the Rockets.

Batum can be on the court at the same time as our 3 best players. Harden Paul and Gordon. With Bazemore, he wouldn’t be able to play. We would be way too small.

ilias and clutchdabear like this.
  11. psman2

psman2 Member

I like Batum more and ready to go all in on him. But Bazemore does have a ridiculous 7 ft wingspan that should allow him to play plenty of SF for us.

HewbieTrippin likes this.
  12. mockster

mockster Member

We need someone who can guard Durant. Batum appears better suited for that

ilias and clutchdabear like this.
  13. bratna8

bratna8 Member

Give me Batum over Bazemore.

We are in win now mode, 4-year window to get as many titles as we can get.

ilias, mockster and clutchdabear like this.
  14. RHU525

RHU525 Member
    Supporting Member

And yet he would still be at least 9 inches too short to contest Durant’s shot.

clutchdabear likes this.
  15. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

I think Phil did have his part in making the combo of Kobe and Shaq work and is a great coach. He did wait to go into a really good situation for himself when taking the Lakers. Now I am not saying the Lakers would have won a ring with or without Phil in 2000 but they certainly would have been heavy favorites along with the Spurs and Blazers that year to win it.

But looking at the roster in 98 the Lakers had - Corie Blount, Kobe, Derek Fisher, Rick Fox, Derek Harper, Horry, Travis Knight, Ty Lue, Shaq, Glen Rice, JR Reid.

Thats not a bad roster with a 2nd year Kobe and Fisher.

Compared to the one that won the ring in 2000:
    Kobe, Fisher, Fox, Horry, Shaq, Knight, Lue, Rice were all hold overs but they upgraded with Ron Harper, Brian Shaw, AC Green, a rookie in Devean George and John Salley.

Now those other names may not sound exciting but they were proven vets that have shown they can win and compete at the highest levels. The Lakers depth chart that year was insane:

Harper/Fisher/Lue
    Kobe/Shaw
    Rice/Fox/George
    AC Green/Horry
    Shaq/Salley/Knight

Put that lineup in today's NBA and they could be competing for a ring even against GS. Versatile on offense and defense with the different looks they can give you.

16. Andy Sheets

Andy Sheets Contributing Member

People never seem to grok that information from insiders is inherently fluid and just because something doesn't happen doesn't mean it wasn't in play at the time it got passed along. Morey His Own Self could post stuff here and there would still be a massive potential for things to just...not happen, because deals are always changing for various reasons.

17. KellyUnchained

"I haven't seen Kelly come up with anything correct although he might have been correct" lmaooo have a great day

18. bratna8

bratna8 Member

Hearing anything new today?

19. KellyUnchained

nada. I've asked three times this month about any update on Nick Young, and i got "still talking to teams" and "nothing new at the moment".

Deuce, Richie_Rich, DonKnock and 2 others like this.
  20. H-Town Melo

H-Town Melo Member

Kevin Durant has typically has had trouble with smaller defenders because they can get into his pocket. Taller guys can't get low enough to impact his dribble the same way.

Now of course Bazemore isn't Tony Allen but he's got some similar attributes and Bazemore plays with some very good aggression when locked in defensively and he can score the ball as well so if he's got it going he can be a very good piece.

Deuce and lionaire like this.