1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Astros Trade option(s)

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by ZeroPoint, Apr 14, 2017.

1. DOYG86

DOYG86 Member

Wrong user guy.

2. DOYG86

DOYG86 Member

We don't need pitching as much as we need bats right now. That's my frustration

HTown2017Champs likes this.
  3. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

"We need bats"
    -- Two of their best bats are injured, but should be back soon enough.
    "Give me a break!"...

And then whatever loud noises you proceed to make after.

This is not like last year where even when healthy, there were serious questions about their two best pitchers ability to carry them in the playoffs (Keuchel, LMJ). We know what this offense is capable of with all 4 superstars in the lineup.... and beyond them amongst Yuli-Reddick-Marwin-Stassi-Kemp, they will get some contributions. And then there's the wild-card in Tucker... who should still get AB's to adjust... and if that happens by September, they'll be set.

The Beard and texans1095 like this.
  4. Nook

Nook Member

I am sure Tucker will still get some playing time but his .430 OPS doesn't exactly lead me to believe that he is going to be in a position to provide much help come the playoffs.

5. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

42 AB's though...

His failure thus far has been unfairly magnified by the rest of the team's slump. Not sure why everybody fell in love with the notion that Luhnow's minor league development plan leads to players coming in and succeeding right away regardless.

All players struggle to make the initial adjustment. I'll bet he's in a much better place after the next 40 AB's.

6. Nippystix

Nippystix Member

OK guy. It's ok to have opinions, even when they are wrong. If he could not get $15M per annum last year, what will have changed from last offseason to the upcoming one? Again, he'd be a year older, and would come with more injury concerns. This is pretty simple logic, is it not?

7. CinematicFusion

We have the bats....they are just hurt or sleeping right now. They will be healthy and break out of the slump soon. When they do, we have our pitching all lined up for a solid playoff run.

8. Nook

Nook Member

I agree it is a small sample size, and he may figure it out shortly but I am not counting on it. The window for Tucker to figure it out this season is short, and it isn't fair to expect a rookie the last 1/3 of the year to come up and be good enough to start on a World Series team.

From my observations of Tucker over the last several years, it sometimes takes him awhile to get comfortable at the next level so I didn't expect him to do much when he first came up. Next year I think he gets the LF job and is as good or better than the league average with room to improve.

9. htownbball

htownbball Member

CF Springer
    3B Bregman
    2B Altuve
    SS Correa
    1B Gurriel
    RF Reddick
    DH Gattis
    C Stassi
    LF Kemp

Bench
    C McCann
    UT Marwin
    OF Marisnick
    INF White

Rotation
    SP1 Verlander
    SP2 Cole
    SP3 Keuchel
    SP4 Morton

Pen
    CL Rondon
    RP Osuna
    RP Devo
    RP Pressley
    RP Sipp
    RP Peacock
    RP McHugh
    RP McCullers

I'm not sure why we would carry 4 catchers in the playoffs in McCann, Stassi, Maldonado, and Gattis. Kemp starts unless Marwin ends the season well. His versatility helps better off the bench in the NL. I think White makes it purely because Tucker and Davis have refused to hit in the majors.

Smith and Harris may be the odd men out in the pen. Rondon, Devo, Peacock, Pressley, and McHugh are all locks. Not sure how we'll use McCullers, but we're better with him. Sipp probably makes it because he's a lefty and is doing decent this year. Osuna may be the interchangeable just because he's an unknown given the layoff and his legal status. Joe Smith is better than the numbers show and I wouldn't be concerned if he made the playoff roster.

Harris for sure is out though, he's been terrible the past few months.

10. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

In regards to Tucker... Players that came up from minors and looked great: Tyler White, AJ Reed.. etc.. players that seemed horrible: Bregman (starting 0-38 or something)... I think I like that Tucker is struggling haha.

11. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

If he's anywhere close to the level of prospect of Springer/Bregman (which I think he is)... he's likely going to make the adjustment and bust out before the season is over.

The only question is whether or not the Astros can afford to give him the requisite regular season AB's.... which was not a concern with Springer, and only a slightly lesser concern with Bregman... both of whom were several years older at their debut.

12. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

They’ll carry 4 catchers because one of them (Gattis) is as much a catcher as Carlos Beltran was last season (at least in the eyes of the people making the roster decisions). A lot of teams carry 3 catchers in the playoffs.

13. raining threes

A reasonable approach, something very uncommon around here.

This coming a guy that wanted Ramos badly and he was traded for a song.

14. Screaming Fist

I wonder if in the interest of saving money the Astros consider having White DH next season. He has a .365 xwOBA over his last 100 PA and his projected wOBA is pretty close to Gattis'.

15. JeeberD

JeeberD Contributing Member

After his first 43 ABs Bregman was hitting .116 with an OPS of .331. Tucker has started off slow on pretty much ever level he's been on. Give him a little more time, he'll be fine.

16. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

I definitely think there should be a place for white on the big league roster. Whether he’s the everyday DH or in a bench role where he plays nearly everyday subbing in around 1B/3B/DH. I think he’s going to be a really good mlb hitter.

Screaming Fist likes this.
  17. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

I think him and Kemp could both make for good DH options next season. Unlike Gattis, the 2 of them can also be put in the field so they don't have to be anchored to the DH slot.

With those 2, Tucker, and Alvarez not far off I would be pretty shocked if we make any significant investment in a hitter this offseason. You can always add a 1B/LF/DH in season if none of those guys have answered the bell.

Screaming Fist likes this.
  18. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

I think they’ll be opportunistic. There will be a lot of good bats available, and there could be a good veteran willing to take a discount to play for a contender. I could see someone like Andrew McCutchen, Matt Adams, Joe Mauer, Neil Walker, Carlos Gonzalez, Nick Markakis, or Nelson Cruz coming on a low cost deal. And there will always be trade options that Luhnow will always be exploring. But I agree, if they have to roll with White as DH and Tucker in LF they will still have a deep lineup, although what they do at catcher will also have a big impact.

19. torque

torque Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Next year:

C Stassi /
    1B Gurriel /
    2B Altuve /
    3B Bregman / Davis
    SS Correa /
    LF Tucker / Fisher
    CF Springer / Fisher
    RF Reddick / Fisher
    DH: Kemp / White

Rotation:
    Verlander
    Cole
    McCullers
    McHugh
    TBD

Bullpen:
    Osuna
    Pressly
    Rondon
    Smith
    Devenski
    Peacock
    James
    Perez

We need to sign a Marwin replacement to be a utility guy (or hope Kemp can fill that role). We need a starter (my vote is to resign Morton and move McHugh back to the rotation). We need one bullpen arm (my vote is to use internal options - Josh James and Cionel). We need a catcher.

I hate the Osuna trade, but that and the Pressly trade really make our bullpen very solid for next year. Not a point of emphasis at all anymore. One more bat, a catcher, one more starter.

20. Screaming Fist

Yeah, If they spend money on a bat I'd much rather they do it for a C or a corner OF rather than a 1B/DH type.