1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Live Rockets Discussion
    Jalen Green looks like a legit star, Amen Thompson is shining and the Rockets have found something without Alperen Sengun. Clutch is talking about the 10-game winning streak at 11:00am as we talk Rockets live!

Talking Rockets - LIVE!

What was Melo's actual 'fair market value' at the beginning of the offseason?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by kjayp, Jul 31, 2018.

?

What was Melo's 'Fair Market value' at the beginning of the offseason?

1. >2M - vet min money - that's the most anybody would have paid...

5 vote(s)
    4.9%
  2. 2-6M - MLE money would be a reasonable gamble for at least some teams...

21 vote(s)
    20.4%
  3. 6-10M - he could get low end starter money on at least a couple teams...

41 vote(s)
    39.8%
  4. 10M+ - some bottom feeder team exec would gamble on name recognition to try to excite his fanbase.

36 vote(s)
    35.0%
  1. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

Yes, another Melo thread... cause a day without a Melo thread is like a day without sunshine... lol

I got into a debate on CF and wanted to see what the overall opinion is...

If Melo had been an UFA at the beginning of the offseason and was just looking to get the fattest contract he could for this year - what would that have been? I'm wording it this way because I'm looking for 'actual value' and not necessarily what he could get based on a limited market at this point in free agency... cause Clint couldn't even get a reasonable offer at this point...

I believe we are getting Melo on a 'sweetheart deal'... I believe he has 27.9M in his pocket from his buyout and was looking for a team that A) was a contender B) Where he wanted to play and C) Where he could look good to recoup his value for his next contract in a year (after his value taking a beating in OKC)... for this reason, he is willing to come here for the min - when he could get more elsewhere...

It's been expressed that very few teams want Melo - at any price... and that we are one of the few willing to take him - even at the min...

Keeping in mind, at this point in the game, not many teams have an abundance of cap space to throw at him... (Ie Clint couldn't get a decent offer...) So again, I'm wording it this way because I'm looking for 'actual value' and not necessarily what he could get based on a limited market at this point in free agency.... so if Melo had been a FA at the beginning of the offseason and was just looking to get the fattest contract he could for this year - what would that have been?

Plowman, IvanLCPM and napalm06 like this.
  2. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

I think someone would pay 10-12 million for him, but I don't know that he'd take it. I think he wants to win and knows that the winning teams out there have less flexible options.

Plowman, TheRealAllpro and kjayp like this.
  3. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Something between the tax payer MLE and the non tax payer MLE. So around 5-9 million on a 1 or 2 year deal.

kjayp likes this.
  4. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

5. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I would caveat, since I'm the one you've been discussing this with, I'm not arguing what $$ he'd get, I'm saying the list of teams that would want him is relatively short. Might one of those teams offered him a bigger contract?? Maybe.

I think the better question is just "Which teams would have signed Melo in the offseason if he was a UFA?"

Easy likes this.
  6. kjayp

I think he would have many suitors at that price... is that the most he could have gotten?

7. The Hunted

The Hunted Member

About tree fiddy.

H-Town Melo and kjayp like this.
  8. kjayp

I fully agree... I think we're getting him at far below his actual true market value due to other factors... CP3, already got paid the 27.9M, trying to recoup his image...

I also think Boogie could have gotten more... but again 'other factors'

Plowman likes this.
  9. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

I did not see super-super max on the poll.

don grahamleone likes this.
  10. mightybosstone

I don't think Melo would have made $10 million+ in this market, but primarily because the few teams who would want Melo would be those teams who are in the playoff hunt and in need of another scoring threat as a No. 3 or No. 4 option. And because almost nobody had cap room to spend this year (especially good teams), no team that would want Melo would be able to spend more than the MLE on him.

luckyman76 and YOLO like this.
  11. kjayp

Maybe that could be the next poll... If Melo had been an UFA at the beginning of free agency - and only wanted a minmum contract - how many teams would have had an interest?
    Players signed during FA can be traded when? December? I would think for the min, most any team would have signed him... worst case scenario - you send him home at some point and eat a min contract... Maybe you package and trade him at the deadline... but maybe he comes in with a renewed focus and becomes the steal of the off season...
    Too many possibilities for most any exec not to gamble on a min contract - imo...

12. kjayp

10M+ qualifies... ;)

13. TheRealAllpro

TheRealAllpro Morey only fan

Will Barton- 13.25 Mil
    Tyreke Evens - 12.4 Mil
    JJ Reddick- 12.25 Mil
    Kentavious Caldwell-Pope- 12 Mil

Somewhere in this range but I guess ppl think less of him than I do.

ApacheWarrior and kjayp like this.
  14. kjayp

I agree... i think it's crazy... as much as people on here b**** about the media and their biased take on Harden and the Rockets - I think many of them are drinking the media kool-aid on Melo...

TheRealAllpro likes this.
  15. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

I think 10 M would have been a fairer contract. Age and defensive weaknesses/ attitude would have pushed him down. If he does sign with the vets minimum, it would be a positive sign showing that he is putting the needs of the team first.

16. TheRealAllpro

I mean that may be fair too. Rudy Gay signed a 1 year 10 Mil contract with the Spurs. Similar enough player 31 vs 34. Gay is one year off an Achilles year.

MarioKissoDeath and kjayp like this.
  17. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

I'm starting to warm up to Melo. He still has quite a few skills on offense left. I worry about his defensive weaknesses. I think he wants to win, but it's very hard for him to accept that he is no longer a star.

18. TheRealAllpro

Morey has kept insinuating that the goal is get as much offense on the floor as possible with having an average defense. I think with our style of defense Melo will be ok enough.

19. YOLO

YOLO Member

i dont think he ever insinuated that. he very much acknowledged needing to be in the upper tier of both.

not average defense. he's gone through that already and you have 0 chance if its just average or worse

Reeko and saleem like this.
  20. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

Dwight got paid like 10M right? So somewhere around there.

kjayp likes this.