1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

(Windhorst) Rockets active in the trade market

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DaBeard, Jul 27, 2018.

1. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I think anyone that looks at what Kerr has done with the Warriors and thinks "not impressive" is insane. Yes, he wasn't an all-star level NBA player. That's basically true of 99.99% of people on the planet, lol. He did have a 16 season NBA career. But that's neither here nor there relative to his time as an executive and coach.

I wouldn't say I was impressed by his tenure as an exec with the Suns. Was anybody?? Maybe he purposefully brought in Shaq. Who knows?? Who cares?? Clearly the Suns were a better team before he got there then when he left. Then again, sometimes changes have to be made. The NBA COTY was just fired because the team just couldn't get over the hump. But definitely Kerr didn't pull off a Kawhi type trade, lol. But again... who cares??

What's relevant to the comment of "Stevie Wonder could coach the DUbs into the playoffs" is... sure, NOW. I can coach them to a championship... NOW. And could have coached them into the playoffs in Kerr's first year as well. But there's absolutely no way to look at the Dubs the year before Kerr and then his first year, and see the offensive changes, and not be freaking amazed. It was his system, designed for that squad and those players, that COMPLETELY overhauled their offense and turned it into one of the greatest offensive schemes the league has ever seen.

Kerr did that.

Anyway... hope you keep feeling better @Codman

DonKnock, hakeem94 and eric.81 like this.
  2. Fullcourt

Fullcourt Contributing Member

Are you sure about that? I remember Clutch and Bima throwing the idea out on the podcast, but I don’t recall a report that we wanted him until this week (not including the free agency meeting years back)

3. treyk3

treyk3 Member

He's sure.

basketballholic likes this.
  4. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Nook is a respected and known insider.

DonKnock, hakeem94 and Deuce like this.
  5. Pat

Pat Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

saleem and jch1911 like this.
  6. jakedasnake

jakedasnake Member

Not sure this has been brought up yet but I believe Morey has a couple of trade scenarios brewing and has had them for awhile. I find the timing of this report from Windhorst interesting because it was right after we secured Capela for 5 years at a very reasonable price. I believe Morey (and Tilman) were waiting to see if they were able to get their asking price for Capela and it appears they did since they are apparently okay with taking on more salary if the deal is right. That is a great sign but it is also smart to wait and see what Capela's deal was like before jumping the gun on an Anderson cost cutting/salary dump trade that doesn't yield much for us.

Knowing that Melo is coming and Capela locked up will allow the front office to be more focused with teams about their wish list and it opens up many more potential trades assuming Tilman is willing to open the pocket book for the right deal.

Deuce likes this.
  7. bratna8

bratna8 Member

Also, Melton is not signed, which makes me think he would be part of a trade.

8. topfive

topfive CF OG

I agree. It's a good thing for us that Capela didn't drag this out until training camp. He'll likely get another shot at a max or near-max contract because he'll be 27 or so when this one ends, so good on him to take the $90M while it's there and let Morley get back to work doing what he does best.

9. jakedasnake

jakedasnake Member

Yes, having Melton unsigned keeps our options open for sure .

10. HP3

HP3 Member

I mean....WE care cause he was a douche to our now Coach. I mean no would even believe Kerr would have forced Dantoni out if Cod hadn't said that. So I have no idea why you felt the need to defend Kerr in this Second paragraph. Other than that, I would say I agree. Though I dont think he's as good as advertised, no way imo.

11. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I mean, even then we only care now because MDA is our coach?? Lol. I don't care if Kerr forced MDA out or not. I'm not arguing whether Kerr is a nice guy. Or MDA. I care about whether MDA is a great coach.

Coaching... like playing, is impacted by situation.

Popovich also was a horrible coach with a bad roster. Last year without Kawhi, though still with one all-star and solid role players at least around him, they almost missed the playoffs. The Rockets meanwhile had the same thing 2 years ago with Harden and won 55 games. Is Spoelstra a good coach? What about David Blatt? What about Dwayne Casey.

Everything is impacted by situation. If Kerr accepts the Knicks job he's probably back on NBA TV already.

But that's life. Instead he took a team that was a good team that relied principally on its defense and turned it into one of the best teams of all time... even before KD joined. There's nothing you can do but say great great coaching.

hakeem94 likes this.
  12. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

I definitely think they were holding off on moving Anderson until they had firm resolution on Capela. They needed flexibility to pivot if things didn't go their way. Now with Capela and Melo in the fold they can move forward with some certainty on what roster areas to fill.

craguin likes this.
  13. Pat

Pat Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I agree with this sentiment. A good example is Shaq and Kobe were together with no rings until Jackson came along. What is Jackson famous for ..."Well anybody could win with those players". But somebody else didn't and he did. Give credit.

Even in the broader picture of life, people don't give enough credit for "just not ****ing it up". A lot of people have had great opportunity, but not all had great success.

14. HP3

HP3 Member

Well yea that's the point, he is our coach now so we will in fact care.(Although I would still care too cause I was a huge fan of him in Phoenix). Idk I care, that was a pretty dick move of Kerr. I donno if he is or not, but that was a dick move nonetheless. MDA is a great coach, it's already been proven.

Yea sure I gotcha.

Popovich is like the GOAT coach. There has almost never been a point where he was considered a horrible coach. That's not a good argument, the West was stacked and the records were not very far apart. The man has always ALWAYS been able to get more out of his roster. Yea we got 2nd seed that year and it was kinda the same situation that I just mentioned with records, and Harden is like WAYYYYY better than Aldridge, Mchale is not a good coach to me. Yea Spostera is, he's never had a good roster since Lebron left and he's been able to do alot of good things, he's gotten more out of his players. Screw David Blatt, I dont care about him, his players never respected him. Casey is harder to judge for me, we'll see what he does in Detroit.

Yea I understand that, some coaches need the right players and the right situation, BUT the really great coaches can really get more than their roster is worth.

Again, I wasnt disagreeing with you about Kerr, I just dont think he's as great as advertised. Just like I never thought Phil Jackson was as good as advertised.

15. Pat

Pat Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

If you come to Clutch Fans for facts, you are in the wrong place. If you want to read a broad range of opinions (that range from unbelievably crappy to that was pretty good) with the potential for an occasional inside tidbit,you have come to the right place my friend.

16. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

Out of all the trade targets the one I like most is James Johnson. Sure, Otto Porter is younger, a better shooter, and a more dedicated wing defender, but Johnson is much more versatile. He's comfortable with the ball in his hands, can create his own shot and make plays for others, finishes at the rim extremely well, and most importantly is extremely tough. I'm very fond of toughness after seeing PJ bust his ass in the playoffs last year. Johnson is just as tough in the post and is good enough on the perimeter to handle switches. Porter is kind of soft, especially on offense.

It's great to have spot up shooters and we certainly don't want to see 0-27 from deep again, but when the offense bogs down it's better to have multiple shot creators. Last year, when CP3 went down we had no one else besides Harden and EGo that could do that. Johnson would be a great option off the bench in the way that Iggy has been for GS. Would love to have him.

Richie_Rich, saleem, craguin and 2 others like this.
  17. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

Be nice to get Bam and James Johnson for Ryno and a pick. Lol probably not happening.

saleem likes this.
  18. saleem

I would too. It's too bad, that Houston has nothing to offer the Heat for James Johnson. His contract is nice too, 3 years 45 M. I don't want EG to be traded for him though. Eric helps Harden out a lot. I believe this point, isn't recognized much on the board.

19. saleem

Not in a million years. Even Billy King wasn't that stupid.

20. YOLO

YOLO Member

actually Billy King was beyond stupid lol

Richie_Rich and saleem like this.