1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Last Straw

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by TheresTheDagger, Jul 28, 2018.

1. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

They make peanuts out of biodegradable materials now - they are the peanuts that don't cling together. They're made from plant starch.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bioplastic

I get a ton of shipped parts and I get them in the boxes every once in a while.

Deckard likes this.
  2. dmoneybangbang

Nope, the record clearly shows you couldn’t reply. You can reply if you can...

No need to be dishonest about something that is quite clear.

3. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

Not really, you just ignored replies. If you are this excited to discuss the EU I'm sure there is room for a thread? I'd participate.

4. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

NO STRAWS, NO PEACE!!!!

5. dmoneybangbang

6. Bandwagoner

7. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

I think that was admitted very early in the thread. The idea is just to raise awareness. It came from, in large part, a kind of cool non-profit.

https://www.lonelywhale.org/

They have freely admitted that straws aren't, on their own, a big deal. But plastics are, and most Americans still don't really think too much about plastics in their everyday life. You could call the (admittedly kind of insipid and definitely worth of humor a la the OP) straw campaign a gateway plastic.

cheers.

8. bongman

bongman Member

This thread is sponsored by "Reusable Straw Incorporated". Their motto... "Don't leave home without it".

9. cml750

cml750 Member

That was my point, straws are actually useful while packing peanuts are terrible. If they want to do a meaningless gesture to raise awareness, more people would support it if the banned something we all hate like packing peanuts.

10. dmoneybangbang

Useful but not really needed, like single use.

11. bongman

bongman Member

You know what's even more usefull than straws.... plastic grocery bags. California banned stores from using them as containers and a year later, nobody is complaining. What did californians do, buy reusable grocery bags.

So for folks who prefer to use a straw, bring your own reusable one. You not only help save the environment but you can bring down these evil plastic straw makers who dominate poor peoples lives.

12. cml750

cml750 Member

Of course if you do not wash the reusable bags, they can make you sick and all of the extra water used to wash the grocery bags certainly isn't helping the California water crisis.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2014/01/06/reusable-grocery-bag-germs/4341739/

http://www.chicagotribune.com/lifestyles/health/sns-green-bacteria-in-shopping-bags-story.html

http://www.takepart.com/article/2016/08/03/how-to-clean-produce/

13. bongman

bongman Member

So how often do you think people have to wash grocery bags? Are grocery bags more susceptible to germs or bacteria than T-shirts which are for the most part, made of the same material? You could have used the same article to create a negative light on everything that we wear. If you develop bacteria or germs on your shirt, you are just filty and there is no hope for you. The same goes for grocery bags.

14. cml750

cml750 Member

Well I am not sure how many times you re-wear a shirt before washing it but some of the things you put in grocery bags do contribute to bacteria. I am not sure about your hygiene but I do not wear the same shirt twice before washing it and bath daily. Perhaps your hygiene routine is more lax or the stuff in your bong makes you forget to change your shirts?:confused:

This is not something I made up and the media links I posted are not conservative media. The germs in the reusable grocery bags are a real issue and people can get sick from it. I have no issues with reusable shopping bags but I would prefer a choice of what to use like we have in Texas. I was not arguing against using them and have used reusable bags myself but I also wash them before reusing them. I actually thought the packing peanuts might be something we could all agree was a bad thing. :D

#114 cml750, Jul 30, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2018
  15. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

#115 Ottomaton, Jul 30, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2018
    Invisible Fan and B-Bob like this.
  16. Bandwagoner

Doesn't bend. What are we, savages?

17. dmoneybangbang

Your packing peanuts have been discussed multiple times. Why don’t you start a push to use the biodegradable ones like previously mentioned?

18. bongman

bongman Member

Yes we can agree with certain things but an article which singles out one product that uses a commonly used material sounds a little too biased for my taste.

For context, there are plastic industry lobbyists while there are non for reusable bags. Is it a far stretch that the plastic industry is fighting back and trying to spin things?

19. Buck Turgidson

**** no, you and everyone else are not responsible enough to handle plastic bags. I'm really ****ing tired of picking them up on the side of the road...At least I can recycle the beer cans and bottles I pick up, but those ****ing things just stick in the fences or the trees. I have 3 miles of roadside bordering ranches and I can't clean it every 2 weeks.

So NO, you have lost your goddam plastic bag privileges, you bunch of ****ing r****ds

Ottomaton likes this.
  20. TheresTheDagger

Strawman.