1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Last Straw

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by TheresTheDagger, Jul 28, 2018.

1. TheresTheDagger

http://thehill.com/homenews/state-w...-straw-ban-could-face-jail-time-in-california

People who violate plastic straw ban could face jail time in California city

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

cml750, Cohete Rojo and Astrodome like this.
  2. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

3. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

4. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

I thought I read they will have a lid you can drink with. But will still have straws upon request. I buy coffee from time to time but typically try to go other places.

5. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Looks like Breitbarter mistook Clutchfans for Facebook again.

6. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

I hate to sound rude but it’s in the first two paragraphs of the link

“Starbucks will stop using disposable plastic straws by 2020, eliminating more than one billion straws a year, the retailer announced on Monday.

Instead, Starbucks, which has more than 28,000 stores worldwide, will use recyclable, strawless lids on most of its iced drinks. The Frappuccino is the one exception: It will have a straw made from either paper or compostable plastic.”

But yes you are right they will be cutting back significantly on straws which is good. We tend to overuse plastics.

7. Buck Turgidson

Good for them. The more throwaway plastic we can replace with biodegradables and recyclables the better. Or just do without your straws, what are you, 6? Bring a sippy cup then.

Bring on the plastic bag bans.

ThatBoyNick, Rashmon, leroy and 6 others like this.
  8. Roscoe Arbuckle

I don't have a dog in this fight, but plastic ain't going anywhere. Not sure what this insignificant gesture really does.

Amiga likes this.
  9. conquistador#11

people grasping for straws. first they'll take your straws, then your coffee! off with their heads. I always drink coffee with a straw. It stains your teeth.

Torn n Frayed and Amiga like this.
  10. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

It anger some people, very much.

Short term, it’s probably also counter productive for environmentalists.

11. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

In case you haven’t noticed, the world is literally on fire right now, but the weather online is just fine to make fun of stupid libs like you're in middle school and you need someone to bully to make up for your own insecurities. Have at it... guy who posts the same Facebook memes as my crazy old racist uncle.

F plastic straws if it makes one bit of difference in reducing our carbon footprint.

#11 dobro1229, Jul 28, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2018
  12. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.

Not sure what the point of this thread is.

Getting rid of plastic straws is a good idea and actually popular.

The fines/jailtime caps seem like appropriate wiggleroom for judges to meed out punishment.

13. Buck Turgidson

If you can't fix everything, then you should fix nothing.

Of course plastic isn't going anywhere anytime soon. Doesn't mean we shouldn't try to use less of it, and recycle what we do.

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  14. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

Your not rude at all. I read a different article a while back, and don’t remember reading that specifically. While I did t read this one I linked at all.

15. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

A 'straw' was the nickname Jim Jordan used to describe young wrestlers penises .

No Worries, conquistador#11 and B-Bob like this.
  16. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Good to eliminate single-use plastic given the massive environmental impact plastic is having on our oceans and air quality.

Of course the right will rally to fight against this as a core issue since they have nothing else to fight against.

17. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

jailing is a little excessive and i would be surprised if that was ever carried out, but that being said, it is way past time to be taking tangible action to lessen the amount of plastic trash in this world. you are going to see more cities enacting this kind of legislation.

i would like to point out that republicans are always talking about local government control. cant santa barabara do what it wants? why would you want to override local control?

and on that note, we have a couple major examples in texas of the state stepping in and overruling local laws. denton banned fracking and austin instituted a plastic bag ban...its what the people of those cities wanted, yet the republican state government shot them down because "screw the liberals".

when the plastic bag ban was instituted i was against it. mainly b/c i use them to pick up dog poop...but guess what? i can buy packs of 300 scented dog bags for $20 bucks and now there is much less litter in my city. and we have cut down tremendously on plastic bags going into landfills...these are all good things.

i think straws are kind of gay...all that sucking. (not that theres anything wrong with that)

#17 jo mama, Jul 28, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2018
  18. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Making fun of liberals via creating a hyperbolic ... wait for it ... straw man.

19. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

The whole idea of the straw campaign, "stop sucking," is from the nonprofit called "lonely whale" or some such. The idea is simply to help people do something simple to raise their awareness. It's harmless.

How individual towns and local governments want to deal with plastics is their deal, right? I would think our conservative bros celebrate local governance, even if it's something they wouldn't want in their own towns.

20. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

They are literally grasping for straws