1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

Carmelo: "I'm not going to (come off the bench) in a situation where I still know my capabilities"

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by jacoby, Jul 26, 2018.

1. lakersuck2

lakersuck2 Member

That's kind of the point man. I'm not saying that he should or should not start. But the fact that such a menial thing still matters to him at his current skill level is concerning. Like who the heck cares really. Having to be the starter is a superstar problem. Melo shouldn't be concerned with such things anymore given the deterioration in his game. Why does it matter so much to him if he starts or not? Why does he get so offended when he's asked if he should come off the bench? Doesn't he realise his place in the league now? Who is he to make demands?

And for the record if he leads to wins and is a positive force on the team I'll embrace him with open arms. I just don't want this supposedly no risk gamble to turn into a negative cause of chemistry issues.

2. H-Town Melo

H-Town Melo Member

He’s being asked by a single media member and it snowballed into something. That’s probably annoying to deal with now.

Deteriorating game? Lol you make it sound like he’s a punch drunk boxer.

His place in the league now according to who? He’s one year removed from being an all-star

This is kind of his point. One single year and everyone is judging him as that. Again real basketball people know what’s up and as much as todays game is about fit and cost efficiency the Thunder made the right choice because the fit wasn’t there. The Rockets should reap the benefits of this.

Once you guys stop basing things off of how YOU feel this will be easier to handle. Me personally I don’t care as long as the team wins. I know what most of these guys are capable of and hopefully the coach makes it all work.

Also he can make demands, the Rockets don’t have to meet them. They could easily say thanks but no thanks. But no they’re signing him and why is that? Because he’s still a valuable player.

I see nothing that will cause chemistry issues. If this were a mid season acquisition maybe but it’s not. They’re all pros, Harden just spoke yesterday about it and everyone aside from media members and a few fans are on the same page.

Mr Chuck Norris likes this.
  3. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

(rockets home opener, strobe lights and all that crap)

Starting at small forward, Eric! Gorrrrrrrrdooooon!
    Starting at center, Unhappyyyyyyyyyyyy Capelaaaaaah!
    And starting at power forward, please welcome, Unhappyyyyyyyyy Anthonyyyyyyyy!

H-Town Melo likes this.
  4. apatel123

apatel123 Member

calm down. CP3 will lay the smackdown if Melo starts acting up. not worried about it at all

5. Realjad

Realjad Contributing Member

Carmelo is going to start. IF he sucks it up starting then we will not start him. If he cries because we wont start him and refuses a bench role then we 'come to an agreement' with him and release him.The experiment didn't work out.

It's a minimum deal. This is a good risk to take.

He will begin the season starting and the team will go on from there.

6. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

Do we have a power forward or small forward on the team that can average 16 points per game? No? Maybe he SHOULD start for us because we're at our best if he does?

I hate this debate. He's not at his peak anymore, but he's still a superstar. He didn't fall off a cliff and until he does, he should be starting.

7. YOLO

YOLO Member

when did melo become a superstar? Hes not even close. If Melo is some superstar, EG should be considered a superstar bc he has contributed far more to winning the past couple of years than melo has.

Guys like Harden are superstars. Melo is no where near his level

donkeypunch likes this.
  8. Toffeeone

Toffeeone Member

No need to dive into Melo speech. He's a 2.4 mil gamble we willing to take. Worst case we waive him or package him in a trade.

Melo at the salary has some value to many teams.

9. topfive

topfive CF OG

Meh.

If CP3 had been asked last summer if he was content with coming off the bench, which would have actually made SOME sense because Harden had been our PG, I would have been disappointed in him if he did say the same thing Melo is saying now.

Melo has already been told he'll be a starter here. Otherwise, he wouldn't be coming. So I'm fine with him laughing off questions about coming off the bench because he knows it's not happening.

His last couple of years in NY, his numbers dropped down because they had a new elite-level player. That should be a good sign, right? Star player sacrifices his numbers for the team?

10. Caesar

Caesar Member

Usually these egos never take a back seat until its too late. If he plays horrible and the Rockets struggle mid way, will he finally accept the 6th man role around December/January? Nah. "I'll know" is a bunch of bullshit. Even if all the evidence is there, the ego finds ways to say it's everyone else around and you're not being used the right way. I do like getting Melo for cheap and at 34, it's usually the last chance to really continue to be that scorer starter on a contender before it all comes crashing down. Throughout history, 35 seems to be the age where it's all over except for a very few rare players that remained stars until 39-40 years old. So many former stars refuse to come off the bench until it's too late. Being remembered as an effective 6th man on a multi time champion in your twilight years is so much better than wasted years and empty stats that result in nothing. There's so much history and examples there for players to look back on and change their fate, but the ego always remains the same.

11. Newlin

Newlin Member

I have no problems with Melo starting. But, Melo would be doing himself a favor by just saying he'll do whatever the team needs him to do. Start, come off the bench, whatever. Why make things harder than they have to be?

Little Bit and B-Bob like this.
  12. YOLO

YOLO Member

cp3 isn't comparable to melo. he was/is by all means a true impact/elite player. melo is not.

the worst thing about picking up declining players is ones that doesn't even realize it and think they are better than what they truly are

13. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Really a non-story. You start Carmelo and over time if the team ( or he) is not doing well or is being a "net negative" you have CP/Harden come to him and talk about it. Much like LeBron did with Wade in Cleveland. Then you have MELO come to terms with it himself to make a move to the bench. It is like "inception."

This is why Harden has been talking so much about "communication" as it relates to CP and Melo. The trust and bond between the best players. They are smart enough to see what is going on and how to figure it out.

14. H-Town Melo

H-Town Melo Member

His numbers dropped because we started running the triangle.

His 2012-2013 and 2013-2014 numbers were really good when were running D’Antoni’s offense mixed in with Melo post ups and isolations.

The next year Phil forced the triangle on the team and the numbers decline began.

15. H-Town Melo

H-Town Melo Member

I’m still waiting for some of you to realize that this was never an issue with NBA teams. One media member asked a dumb question last year and now look.

16. topfive

topfive CF OG

Elite? Maybe not now (for Melo). Impact? Of course Melo is an impact player.

YOLO, I guarantee you there are going to be dozens of games this year where you'll be thinking, "Holy ****, I'm glad we signed this guy."

We now have 3 guys who can take over a game (4 if you count EG on a good night).

17. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

Melo's about four years past his prime. Calling him a superstar is just name recognition at this point. Dwyane Wade is one year removed from averaging 18ppg, but we all know he's broken down. Cleveland fans weren't delusional about what they were getting last year, but we're deluding ourselves into thinking we got a superstar on the minimum. Melo will be a contributor, not a star.

Would you rather have Melo over EGo or Capela? If not, I guess they're superstars too. If you're impressed by 16ppg on 15fga and 50.3 TS% then your bar for star is too low. Ryno could probably do that if we told him to.

J.R. and YOLO like this.
  18. H-Town Melo

H-Town Melo Member

Some of you just want him to come off the bench so you can be happy.

19. Mr Chuck Norris

People would rather start Ennis over Melo LMAOOOOOOO This is hilarious. Sports media really got in yall head. Melo was a starter last year in the "worst year of his career" ON the 3rd best DEF team in the NBA and averaged 16 PPG and people are mad that he wants to start. Emotional ass fans. Melo will start, Melo will do well.

20. YOLO

YOLO Member

cp3 isn't elite to you? if not, I'd have to admit I am a bit surprised by that

Im actually holding my breath on that one. The rockets were a championship team without melo. They are good without him. Its championship or bust at this point. Does adding melo replicate all of what the Rockets were able to achieve and put GS on the brink of elimination just months ago. Can they be as good or actually better which is likely needed

That's something I don't see atm