1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Ryan Bernardoni] Kings could be setting up to take Ryan Anderson

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by jayfree, Jul 18, 2018.

1. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

yes, i agree generally.

Just couldn't tell you for sure on Batum's potentially efficiency going up in our system or overall fit. ??? I don't know. I haven't watched him closely enough in Charlotte really. I'm not sure how he's getting those assists to be honest. Just running some offense through him? Creating? I don't know. Is his ability to potentially create part of what you'd might be willing to pick up that contract for, and is that neutered on the Rockets anyway?? I mean, does Batum create in PnR action?? That's kind of what the Rockets do, lol.

If I go to NBA.com advanced stats, his 3 point %'s were this:
    Closely guarded (0-2 feet) = 25% (0.2 attempts/game)
    Tight (2-4 feet) = 40.8% (1.2 attempts/game)
    Open (4-6 feet) = 27.8% (1.4 attempts/game)
    Wide open (6+ feet) = 32.5% (1.3 attempts/game)

What am I to make of that? Lol. He's only a decent 3 point shooter last year when there is a guy kind of close but not right on him, ha. He should be way better in the open scenarios, especially as they still make up the majority of his attempts.

If I go back the prior years, it's kind of all over the place. Some years he's better when open, some not. It's kind of strange.

Of note, Ariza is the opposite. He can shoot when wide open (except the playoffs lol!) and not when remotely guarded. This is the same with Ennis last year. Great when open.

crazy stats...

https://stats.nba.com/players/shots-closest-defender-10/
    can sort by team, starts, position, specific player etc.

don grahamleone and D-rock like this.
  2. basketballholic

Batum was outstanding in Portland behind Lillard/Aldridge when he was healthy. If healthy he'd match or exceed that efficiency in our system. The problem is the contract. It basically hems us in to the luxury tax for the next three seasons or at best severely hampers our ability to step out of the tax in one of those three seasons. That means we would likely have to tear it down in 21-22, which is the last year of Paul's deal and the next to last year of Hardens deal, in order to avoid the repeater tax.

That's terrible timing for getting Harden to commit to another extension.

So I don't see Batum as doable unless he'd modify his contract and make the last year non-guaranteed (good luck).

don grahamleone and thaGREATwall like this.
  3. JayZ750

Well if you think Batum is a piece you need to get you over the top, and you get him, and run with CP3 and Harden and Batum and Capela plus for the next 4 years, and DM has those years to tinker in the margins, and you still don't have it done...

... who cares if you have to move Harden at that point?

Nook likes this.
  4. Nook

Nook Member

Batum did not discuss his injuries often with Charlotte but last year finally admitted that he has fairly severe and painful issues related to his arm and it really limited his ability to shot and pull up and also limited his ability to finish inside. The questions is whether or not those injuries are better. If they are better than it is reasonable to expect him to return to close to pre injury status.

Also, Charlotte played him a lot at the SG spot....... with a bad shoulder. He already prefers the 3 offensively, and the combination was not good for his offensive efficiency.

He is a bit of an odd player, he is more reliant on his health than other players, and his performance is largely based on his level of interest in the game. When he is motivated, he is quite good. He is very similar to Boris Diaw in that way.

Defensively Batum is capable of being elite. He is long and very disrupt when motivated.

5. Nook

Nook Member

James Harden has 4 more guaranteed years on his deal. His 5th year is a team option that is worth 46 million dollars. In 4 years when James is going into free agency (or exercises his option) he will be 33 years old.

Batum's contract is up in 3 years, it will be up a year before Harden is a free agent.

Chris Paul is going to be under contract for 4 more years.

The reality is that the Rockets are not going to be appealing in 3-4 years, regardless of whether they have Batum.

Also, do you think there is going to be a long like to pay James Harden a super max deal at 33? He will have already made $300,000,000 from his contract and likely several hundred million off his shoe contract. Harden at 35 is not likely to be good enough to be a top 5 player in the league, especially with the beating he takes....... so a rebuild is bound to happen.

6. Reeko

Reeko Member

no, he is not less efficient than Melo

Batum’s TS% last year - 52.3%
    Melo’s TS% last year - 50.3%

he’s less efficient than Ennis or Green, but can do more on the offensive end than they can

he would handle the ball some, just not as much as he has in Charlotte...he could attack closeouts off drive and kicks from Harden and CP3 and do a little bit of creation for others

If Gordon can still get the opportunity to handle the ball at times when CP3 and Harden are healthy, then why can’t Batum?

Batum could be the starting SF here, his only value to the team is not as a 3rd string PG

I don’t want Batum anyways because his contract is hideous

D-rock likes this.
  7. JayZ750

Is this his elbow injury?

I guess it comes down to opportunity cost. Hindsight will judge the opportunity cost.

In hindsight, I'd rather have had JJ Redick last year and for three more years than LMAM last year and still no space to do anything this year anyway.

Can Ryno get us something better? Hard to say but probably not a better player, maybe just not as horrible a contract...

8. JayZ750

I feel like if we're talking maybe Batum, we should also talk Otto Porter Jr. I think he holds more value than Batum, but I think the Wizards might also be regretting that contract a bit, especially since Oubre is slowly getting better.

What else would it take to get him effectively for Anderson? I'd be open to swapping EG for Austin Rivers even ... if they thought EG was better ... though I think Wizards would have to wait 60 days to do that deal as they just got Rivers in a trade.

9. King1

King1 Contributing Member

Austin Rivers? You must be day drinking. Hopefully someone has your keys

D-rock and mikol13 like this.
  10. Vivi

Vivi Member

Overall Porter is better than Batum at this point. Personally, if Batum is healty, i'm not sure who's better, overall not much difference imo, but Porter is way younger and healtier...Washington probably regrets that contract but i think Porter is still fairly positive value, while Batum is considered one of the worst contracts in the league because age and injuries come in play.

Would we be better with Batum while keeping Gordon or with Porter losing Gordon? Definitely better with Batum and Gordon imo, Porter might still be a pretty good asset though, Gordon's value might drop going forward with him becoming expiring.

D-rock likes this.
  11. JayZ750

I mean he put up 15+ ppg last year, and shot 38% from three on 8.5 threes per 100 possesions. It's a better %, though on less volume than EG.

I like EG's defensive capabilities a bit more. EG was better from 2, though was assisted on more 2s, and meaningfully more 3s. I like EG better... %s aside I think he just plays smarter especially as it relates to a third guard in our system...

... but I think Rivers is a guy who has been underrated a lot because of his name, slow start, being picked up by his dad, that contract his dad gave him, and his attitude.

All that said, I think CP3 doesn't like him, so non-starter, lol

12. JayZ750

Porters younger and more efficient. Paid more.

Batum with those assists again, though, lol.

I would not move Ryan and EG for Porter and whatever crap filler is needed to make the deal work, absolutely not.

But Ryan and Melton and future pick, and Zhou... sure.

13. Red Chocolate

Red Chocolate Contributing Member

Porter was arguably the best player on the Wizards last season and is super young. Not sure he's worth the contract but it's definitely not a bad one for a guy who can play some PF and shot 44% on 3PT at reasonable volume (4.2 3PA/g) the past 2 seasons. Batum on the other hand is a disaster.

14. King1

King1 Contributing Member

Seems like a lot around the league can't stand him because of his awful attitude. We need EG and if we do move him it better net a lot better than Austin Rivers. Especially with the contract we have EG on.

jayfree likes this.
  15. Vivi

Vivi Member

Aren't they basically paied the same? Anyway yeah, like i said overall, i don't think there's really that big difference between them as a player, both are good, Porter obviously has way more value cause he's younger and is a healtier player.

Personally, not really sure what i would offer for Porter, i would really hate to lose Gordon or Melton but it's not like we have other pieces to offer...

Batum was bad last season, but he was playing injured and in a Dwight Howard'ed enviroment, we were a 41-41 team when that happened here. Two years ago he was actually pretty good and Charlotte had a good season with him being their best player. The big question mark with him is his healt, if he's healty he's a complete player on both ends, still worse shooter than Porter, but better passer and probably better defender too.

D-rock and Nook like this.
  16. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

I really hope this happens, I've sat here waiting and waiting for Ryan Anderson to be worth anything but his confidence is shot. I'd like to be optimistic and think with a long offseason of hard work he could have a resurgence but I don't really believe that anymore.

I don't know how realistic it is for anyone to want to take on his salary yet though, I figured either at the end of the next season or possibly during the deadline when there's only a year and a half left on his contract.

17. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Pass on Batum, Bazemore would be a much better option considering the contracts. Bazemore does a lot of what Batum does (ball handling/passing, rebounding, defense, 3pt shooting), just at 3 inches shorter, but like I've been saying, I think Harden's primary defensive position should be small forward, so it should be completely fine to acquire a guy at the SG position to replace Ariza's role instead of more traditional SF.

What made Ariza especially useful for us was his ability to guard 1's and 2's at times, a guy like Bazemore could do that better, with Tucker/Anthony/Ennis/Harden we shouldn't NEED any larger wing/forward defenders.

18. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Don't want Porter and that giant contract...and, don't want Bazemore either..another big contract with no let up.

19. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

who would guard KD/PG13/Lebron/Alphabet/etc though

those guys are too long for bazemore and harden would get tired after 5min

20. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Tucker/Ennis can easily split 40 minutes of defense against them.

I remember Tucker guarding Harden, he's THICC but he can move his feet pretty damn well. Ennis is naturally much more agile at 6'7 215.