1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Carmelo Anthony traded to Hawks, will be bought out

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by htown7829, Jul 19, 2018.

1. chinesemamba

chinesemamba Member

its confirmed. JK

2. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

Until Morey does this... then who wins? lol

3. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

Which strip club is that?

Fulgore likes this.
  4. arabrocket

arabrocket Member

i'm not talking about that vid, i'm talking about CP3, Harden and Melo only practicing i saw it on IG just recently. i'm pretty sure it's recent.

5. YOLO

YOLO Member

lol again. harden was never there

craguin likes this.
  6. arabrocket

arabrocket Member

Whatever it is bro, thought that harden was in there but you get the point.

7. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Yule C, amirite? lulz

After 4 yrs, and Carlisle couldn't even get through to him, there is a better chance he has no upside, than there is he realizes rotational status on a playoff-caliber team. At the moment, imo, MCW is the better pickup...especially given our needs vs theirs.

This is more of an indictment of Westbrook not being able to fit in players. Westbrook makes everyone worse, so how does removing further proof of that make them better? We are going to discover than Melo is indeed of use to a contender, when he's playing with the "Melo Whisperer", and I'm sure we are going to see once again that WB will marginalize Schroder, just like he did to Oladipo and Melo.

My post isn't about whether we got worse or not. My point was even with losing Ariza and Luc, our summer is equal to OKCs (assuming Melo/Capela are signed). Had we kept Ariza...it would be clearly better than theirs.

Yeah, and we could say OKC would be better if they had Oladipo back, or would WB neuter him, once again. I won't believe OKC's offense is better with Schroder, until we see it. This is TheoryLand, imo. Their defense will improve by Roberson being back, sure. But he also gives us someone to have Melo defend.

bottomline: I strongly believe we are better at beating OKC this year than last year (again, assuming the Melo/Capela signings.) And that's the only measure I care about wrt OKC.​

DonKnock, lionaire and HP3 like this.
  8. heypartner

That's fair, I get it. Let me ask you two follow-up questions, then I'll hang-up and listen.
    • How much of your analysis of Thunder upgrading is dependent upon Noel actually improving?
    • I consider "Losing Melo is a plus" as more an indictment of WB's inability to integrate new offensive players (as seen in Oladipo making MIP), so how does removing further proof of that make them better, as if he won't neuter Schroder, too?
    • Sry, one 3rd question:
      Assuming Melo/Capela are signed (Melo can guard Roberson) and Capela's KAT/Gobert drubbing was no fluke, do you think OKC has improved upon their ability to beat Houston in the playoffs?
    That last question is really the only measure of OKC's improvement that I care about, and it really should be their only measure, too.

same questions to @Deuce. I'll hang-up and listen. :) cheers

DonKnock, Deckard and HP3 like this.
  9. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

OKC is better position this upcoming season than they were last year, IMO. They have faults in areas but the balance is better.
    I am unsure if the Rockets are better or worse. That probably is a wait and see.
    OKC probably closed the gap, but not enough to beat the Rockets in a series.

I am impressed with what Presti is doing with small market OKC.
    Morey is still a work in progress this offseason. I have admitted that.

For me, a lot of it comes down to moving Anderson and seeing how the Ariza role will be filled.

Ryan_Success, Vivi and Deckard like this.
  10. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

they were a good defensive team and they definitely got better by starting grant over melo and getting roberson back. adding noel is hit or miss. that team still can't shoot, spacing will be an option. schroeder is no better than melo in the locker room. also he's a high turnover player to go with westbrook. it seems that they will be great on D but no shooting and high turnovers on O sounds like a mess.

i don't see them closing a 20 win gap on us even after we lost ariza and mbah. morey still has to keep capela, add melo, and move ryno for a useful player. if he does those 3 things i'd say we had just as good of an offseason as they did.

11. heypartner

Agree....And closing a Regular Season win gap is of little import. The better question is:

Does OKC match-up against us better in a playoff series?

After the Melo and Capela signings, that would be a good new thread. imo, we've gotten worse against GSW (even w/o Cousins), but we have improved on beating OKC. Honestly looks like a sweep to me, for all the reasons you mentioned, while fully expecting WB to neuter Schroder like he did to Oladipo and Melo.
    • Their additions (including Roberson) can't exploit our losses.
    • And our additions (including Capela's KAT/Gobert showing being new norm vs Adams) can exploit their gains (e.g., Melo has his easiest defensive assignment vs Roberson).
    Who of the 2nd Round teams last year has OKC improved upon? Maybe Utah? But is that offset by Spurs overtaking them?

12. mockster

mockster Member

Were almost at 20 pages, need a new melo thread.

Smacktle likes this.
  13. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

i think they can stop just about any team on defense, even the warriors since they can play grant at the 5 and switch everything. however, they won't be able to score against any second round opponent. the jazz, spurs, rockets, and warriors can shut them down. if they try to play a motion offense they will turn the ball over at a terrible rate (westbrook = 5, schroeder = 4, PG = 4) and will miss any open shots the offense gets them with roberson, grant, TLC, felton all unable to shoot consistently. they will have to play 1:1 which will turn into the westbrook show and eliminate schroeder and george... meanwhile westbrook has terrible %s on turnovers and pull-up 3's in 1:1 situations.

honestly i still think they are a 45-49 win team and a first round exit. a TOUGH first round opponent with the ability to sneak into the second round, but still there are at least 4 teams in the west guaranteed to beat them in a series.

Relativist likes this.
  14. DaBeard

DaBeard Member

@justtxyank Melo was just putting up 23 PPG and was an all star the year before he got to OKC. Everyone's numbers and production dipped once they play with Westbrook. Just look at Oladipo, fringe starter in OKC, and now an all star caliber player in Indy. I think Melo will get back to being that 20 PPG scorer that we desperately need if Harden goes through one of his stretches again and another player that CP3 can give the rock to.

chievous minniefield likes this.
  15. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

[Premium Post]
    Melo can surely score 20ppg, no problem. The concern is that it takes him 40 shots to do it.

GOOD DAY

justtxyank and YOLO like this.
  16. Coach E

Coach E Member

40 shots a game? He isn’t Allen Iverson.

I would expect 20ppg to come on around 20-22 attempts a game. It’s not amazing efficiency, but it’s solid. This means a true shooting % close to 50. That’s not far fetched.

17. YOLO

YOLO Member

oh man thats terrible.

so 20-22 shots taken away from the likes of the mvp and cp3. Great winning formula there. lets take more shots than the best players on your team. got it

justtxyank likes this.
  18. DonKnock

DonKnock Member

Yea so no Harden in the video, just the pics

craguin likes this.
  19. HOUSTON2017

HOUSTON2017 Member

i will support every player that plays for the Rockets (I always wanted Melo) so im biased)
    But all this posters that keep trashing Melo (WHY)? let the guy come in and play - see what happens..
    why all the negativity seriously

20. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

Don't really matter who OKC adds because Brody will freeze their ass out.